Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a used 2010 1ss M6 with 9,600 miles on it. I know these LS motors are pretty tride and true, I was just seeking some veteran advice as to what I should be aware of maintenance wise other than the obvious oil changes, and any other issues these cars tend to have that I could prevent. I read quite a bit just wanting to see if anything else could be brought up to my attention with this thread. The car has a GMPP axle back, and K&N CAI. Thanks for the advice :5go:

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Nope! Nothing. Just drive it and enjoy it.

No tranny issues like the Rustang or the Z.
No killer floormats like the Toyotas.
No exploding gas tanks like the Pintos.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Get rid of the K&N intake and get a Halltech.

The transmission on the M6 wasn't designed for a 4000lb car so its a little tender. Make sure you turn off the traction control when your doing hole shots. Tap it once and the traction control goes off. Tap it once and then hold down on it for 7 seconds and both your traction control and stability tract go off. Tap it twice and it goes into competition mode(don't do hole shots in competition mode)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get rid of the K&N intake and get a Halltech.

The transmission on the M6 wasn't designed for a 4000lb car so its a little tender. Make sure you turn off the traction control when your doing hole shots. Tap it once and the traction control goes off. Tap it once and then hold down on it for 7 seconds and both your traction control and stability tract go off. Tap it twice and it goes into competition mode(don't do hole shots in competition mode)
I won't be doing much racing, especially from a dig. This is my wifes DD and my play toy lol! How much with the stock clutch hold?? I'm used to big heavy diesel's that with any kind of power adder you have to get a aftermarket clutch. My first plan was to get a amsoil air filter to fit the end of the intake, I'm not a fan of K&N, especially on diesels.

:roxor:I have a 2011 1SS M6 and so far so good! 18 months tomorrow and 12,779 miles of pure excitement! With a few of those miles run on Zmax Dragway in Concord NC!!
AWESOME!!! We traded in my wifes 10 model Corolla S :lol: for this Camaro, the Corolla was just a huge dissappoint me after riding in my truck.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
How much with the stock clutch hold??
Welcome! :5go:

You will find the clutch system to be the biggest sore spot. It "shares" the fluid reservoir with the brakes and has a tendency to "stick" and not release fully when hammered on. It has synchro issues and is very dependent on full operating temps to perform properly. As far as "how much HP it will hold" goes, not a whole lot beyond factory if you are romping on it...

There are several things folks have found to help the situation (you may not find them all on this site when searching tho). Primarily, changing the trans fluid to high quality synthetic, flushing the brake fluid with the same and adding a "return helper spring" kit are the easy/cheapest things.

Then you start getting into more involved things like swapping it out for the ZR1 clutch and having the synchros changed for the new CF ones that came out as an update (you can get this done under warranty of you have any grind into 2nd and 3rd and can get the dealer to duplicate it :thumbsup:).

·
Registered
115 Posts
I won't be doing much racing, especially from a dig. This is my wifes DD and my play toy lol! How much with the stock clutch hold?? I'm used to big heavy diesel's that with any kind of power adder you have to get a aftermarket clutch. My first plan was to get a amsoil air filter to fit the end of the intake, I'm not a fan of K&N, especially on diesels.

AWESOME!!! We traded in my wifes 10 model Corolla S :lol: for this Camaro, the Corolla was just a huge dissappoint me after riding in my truck.

You will be fine if your not going to go mod crazy, just remember to take the traction control off when you're smoken tires or jumpen off the line. The brakes engage with it on and I have seen cars bounce from side to side like the hydraulics on a low rider.

AFE makes a great inverted tip filter, inverted tip is the only way to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will be fine if your not going to go mod crazy, just remember to take the traction control off when you're smoken tires or jumpen off the line. The brakes engage with it on and I have seen cars bounce from side to side like the hydraulics on a low rider.

AFE makes a great inverted tip filter, inverted tip is the only way to go.
Cool I'll be sure to turn it off and leave it off lol, yea the only mods I'm planning are, Headers, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Cam, and Tune. I'll look into the AFE filters!

I forgot to mention, APEX Motorsports is a vendor here that sells these... :thumbsup:
I've been snooping around on their site a little bit this morning! Got one ordered!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Cool I'll be sure to turn it off and leave it off lol, yea the only mods I'm planning are, Headers, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Cam, and Tune. I'll look into the AFE filters!

I've been snooping around on their site a little bit this morning! Got one ordered!
Those mods would be more than enough to rip the tranny out.

I would suggest American Racing Headers 1 7/8" with cats

If your going to add what you've listed then you should get a Halltech, ADM or a Cold Air Inductions air intake. They are the top 3, while your at it get a washer bottle replacement and a ADM scoop. A Vmax throttle body.

YOUR ALREADY HOOKED. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea I know I'm hooked lol... I went through this with my 07 5.9 Cummins. I out ran a slighty modded C6 Vette with it from a 50 roll, my 11 is just a pretty work truck. The whole modded diesel scene is expensive, but it doesn't look like this is going to be any cheaper! But I gotta have something thats fast lol..... As far as the tranny goes, I won't be doing any weekend warrior drag racing at the strip with the car, I'm just doing the mods for the sound, extra mileage and those mustangs and rice burners that think they are hot stuff on the highway. I won't be jamming gears or doing any hard launches with it.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts