Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, have searched but not found an answer. I just scored this car with only 2200 miles on it so it is virtually brand new. My factory alarm (GM OEM, not aftermarket) goes off quite often for no particular reason.. I have set the alarm and wiggled doors, trunk and hood without it going off.. Moved to a tap test on hood, trunk and doors. I have found that it will go off with a reasonable quick tap (flat handed slap if you will) on the lower front corner of either door.. This is pretty repeatable.. I am guessing that vibration from passing trucks, cars, or flexing of the door with temperature changes is setting off the alarm.

Sooooo, does anybody know anything about this alarm and what is in the doors?? That is, are there shock sensors in both doors or switches that could be adjusted wrong.??...

Thanks.....

Larry

Hat Trick (67SS/RS, 92RS, 2010 2SS)

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
Are you sure there's no after market system in your car? Because the factory alarm is an intrusion detection system only. Meaning it will only go off if the alarm is set and someone opens a door, hood, or trunk. There is no shock/impact sensor and there isn't a tilt sensor either (tow truck). So my guess is when you hit the door hard enough...the system is interpreting that as an attempt to open your door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There is absolutely no indication of an aftermarket alarm that I can find. The slap on the door isn't all that hard. It arms as described in the factory manual so there is no arming mechanism for an aftermarket alarm. I also get the "theft attempt message on the dash". I don't know how an aftermarket alarm would be able to set that. Was there a GM factory addon for shock and tilt by any chance?

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, did some looking around and talked to the former owner.. It has a Karr Systems Alarm which means it is an add-on shock sensor system that integrates with the factory alarm. These things are put in by the dealer and uses the normal car alarms system. That is why it was hard to find. I have to locate the actual sensor and it should have a sensitivity screw adjustment on it. Will have to check it out tonight to see if I can find it and adjust it down.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
That's good to know, had me scratching my head there for a minute.:confused:

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
That's good to know, had me scratching my head there for a minute.:confused:
Me 2 :lol:

Ok, did some looking around and talked to the former owner.. It has a Karr Systems Alarm which means it is an add-on shock sensor system that integrates with the factory alarm. These things are put in by the dealer and uses the normal car alarms system. That is why it was hard to find. I have to locate the actual sensor and it should have a sensitivity screw adjustment on it. Will have to check it out tonight to see if I can find it and adjust it down.
:nopics:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts