Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted a set of Stainless Power, with high flow cats to connect to stock exhaust for $687.74 (w/coupon and free shipping) from AutoAnything.com. Folks seem to like them but like anything there has been an issue now and then. The latest I read was gaps in the flange weld. Has anyone had any experience with them or have heard anything elase good or bad? I know a tune will get the most out of them but will the engine throw any error without a tune?

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
As long as the O2 sensors are NOT relocated farther away from the cats, use extenders or eliminated completely, it should not throw any codes.
eliminate the O2 sensors or the cats?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as the O2 sensors are NOT relocated farther away from the cats, use extenders or eliminated completely, it should not throw any codes.
The Stainless Power LT headers do use an extended wiring harness for the O2 sensors, from the AutoAnything.com website:

Features
  • Replace restrictive factory exhaust manifolds with budget-friendly Stainless Power Headers
  • Tuned for your specific year, make and model vehicle
  • Maximizes horsepower, torque and throttle response
  • TIG welded from high-quality T304 stainless steel
  • 3/8" thick T304 stainless steel header flanges
  • CNC laser-cut flanges and mandrel-bent tubes
  • Formed merge collectors and welded-in merge spikes
  • Welded O2 sensor bungs (most vehicles)
  • Includes extensions for front O2 sensors (most vehicles)
  • Bolt-on design uses factory locations for straightforward installation
  • Each header has the Stainless Power badge TIG-welded in place
  • Install-ready kit includes headers, bolts, RTV hi-temp silicon and clamps
  • Couple your headers with a Stainless Power Exhaust System for a budget-friendly performance package
  • Your Stainless Power Headers are backed by a 2-year warranty

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have stainless power heads with highflow cats and they are great the welds are fine, I do have a 2013 with electric power steering and know many brands of headers have interference fit problems with the older style Camaros power steering/column and have to have them dented a little by the shaft...... I bought mine from Maryland speed for $712 with cats free shipping. I did have to have the CEL eliminated due to slowed response from the front 02 sensor being farther down stream meaning it sent: delayed response code to the ECU..... You will want the headers to have a new set of g.m. exhaust metal exhaust gaskets for the headers..do not use the silicone junk and the gaskets are only like $20.00. I polished mine with a buffing head and stainless polish stick I got at harbor freight before install and now they have a nice shine with the Champagne color cooked in. They do make the car so much louder, and they do not require a harness extender that I know of as I did not need one. Good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I took the plunge and ordered the "Stainless Power" LT w/cats for $687.74 delivered.
Should I get a new set of gaskets or can I reuse the stock gaskets?

Update: Oops I just reread the post by christianchevelle who said to get new gaskets, where did you get them?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Well I took the plunge and ordered the "Stainless Power" LT w/cats for $687.74 delivered.
Should I get a new set of gaskets or can I reuse the stock gaskets?

Update: Oops I just reread the post by christianchevelle who said to get new gaskets, where did you get them?
You can re-use the old gaskets. I re-used mine and there was no problem. Most of us who do headers re-use the stock gaskets. If you do get new ones, then get them from the dealer. Do not get aftermarket gaskets.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can re-use the old gaskets. I re-used mine and there was no problem. Most of us who do headers re-use the stock gaskets. If you do get new ones, then get them from the dealer. Do not get aftermarket gaskets.
Rats, last night I ordered new gaskets from newgmparts.com, I'll try to cancel and call the dealer.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Rats, last night I ordered new gaskets from newgmparts.com, I'll try to cancel and call the dealer.
No you can keep them. Those are the same gaskets you'll get from the dealer. The only difference is that at the dealer you can just go and pick them up instead of having to wait for the delivery. If you already ordered them tho, then I would just keep them as a spare set or go ahead and use them and keep the current gaskets as a spare set.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I asked newGMparts.com if their exhaust gaskets are original and they responded:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Oct 28, 2014 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] - GM Made Part - #27889

Hello Mick,

ALL of our parts are brand new OEM GM factory parts, and will be exact match from the factory for your vehicle.

Thank you

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No you can keep them. Those are the same gaskets you'll get from the dealer. The only difference is that at the dealer you can just go and pick them up instead of having to wait for the delivery. If you already ordered them tho, then I would just keep them as a spare set or go ahead and use them and keep the current gaskets as a spare set.
Sweet, thanks for the clarification. I think I will install the new ones and keep the original for a backup. Should I use the Stainless supplied RTV hi-temp silicon too or is that just overkill?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Sweet, thanks for the clarification. I think I will install the new ones and keep the original for a backup. Should I use the Stainless supplied RTV hi-temp silicon too or is that just overkill?
You can use it if you like. No harm either way. Some people do, some people don't. I probably would if I could do it without things getting messy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I just took delivery of a set of Stainless Power Headers w/cats and all seems to be in order. I did double check the flange welds because someone else said they had bad welds but fortunately mine seem to be fine.

I read the included installation instructions which said to remove the steering shaft. Did anyone have to remove the steering shaft to install these headers?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A few questions on installing Stainless Power headers on a 2010 2SS w/45k miles:

1) Did anyone have to move the steering shaft to install these headers?
2) I think I will remove the spark-plugs to install the headers, shall I replace them with new plugs as well?
3) If replacing the spark-plugs should I use new stock GM plugs or which 3rd party plugs?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
You should not have to move the steering shaft for the install. Clearance should not be an issue.

Definitely take the spark plugs out. But you do not have to replace them with new ones.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The plugs are really up to you.
It won't hurt at all to replace them if you already have to remove them...but "if it ain't broke"....

If you have over 70k I would say is a good idea...but where you are at now, the debate can go either way. So...flip a coin?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
2010 Camaro 2SS Header Install

I installed the Stainless Power Headers at DIY Auto Repair here in Colorado, real nice folks. DIY rents bays with a lift and tools so I was in a heated garage while outside here it was in the single digits. Well I am a DIYer so it only took TWICE as long as I planned, I'll post photos in a bit.

I used new OEM gaskets with the Stainless provided silicon seal and kept the stock plugs, the iridium tips on those things look really weird.

Driver's side install was much easier then the accursed passenger side, so little room to work over there. And wouldn't you know it while removing the stock exhaust manifold I had a seized bolt in front of #2, that bolt is really hard to get to. And it was like it was welded in place. I don't think it's a coincidence that I also have a bit of a problem with a leak above cylinder #2, once the weather warms up a bit I will try to torque down the header just a bit more to stop the leak. I won't be driving the Camaro on these snow covered streets but I did have to drive it home from the shop, did I do much damage?

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Well I am a DIYer so it only took TWICE as long as I planned,
well that's pretty good ... it would have taken me SIX times longer than I planned :lol: ... now a days I mostly just pay for expertise :D

Must be nice to have access to a garage like that though

1 - 20 of 29 Posts