Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would recommend starting with something else as your first car. I was 17 when I got my camaro but I had about 2 years of driving 2 accidents(one a year ago today) but both were not my fault. I also have not gotten any tickets. When I was 16 and driving I tried to be as safe as possible but did have some close calls. That is why I would start with something else as your first car, till you get the hang of things.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I would recommend starting with something else as your first car. I was 17 when I got my camaro but I had about 2 years of driving 2 accidents(one a year ago today) but both were not my fault. I also have not gotten any tickets. When I was 16 and driving I tried to be as safe as possible but did have some close calls. That is why I would start with something else as your first car, till you get the hang of things.

Well said !!!!!!! however I will say if you can afford it yourself then its yours.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
the SS is a lot of power for someone new to driving... but the V6 would be a comfortable fit... i wouldn't recommend any teenager to get a brand new car, they have a 99.99% chance of wrecking it, and better to wreck an older model that is easier to repair or replace than a brand new, first year of production vehicle that doesn't have many replacement parts yet!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
insurance would be the big one to look into as well. that could make or break your decision. i know that here in alberta if you're a male under 25 you can basically expect to pay more for insurance then a monthly payment on a vehicle. if you're 16 though you won't be able to legaly stand on a loan application, so it would have to be in your parents name. so i guess it boils to if your parents will buy it for you

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
insurance would be the big one to look into as well. that could make or break your decision. i know that here in alberta if you're a male under 25 you can basically expect to pay more for insurance then a monthly payment on a vehicle. if you're 16 though you won't be able to legaly stand on a loan application, so it would have to be in your parents name. so i guess it boils to if your parents will buy it for you
that's odd, because i'm 22; full coverage insurance on my 98 dakota was $70 per month when it was labelled as a full time vehicle and for my SS it is $110 per month... not that big of a difference. (i have homeowner, multi-car, & safe driver discounts)

i tried getting them to list the camaro as a part time vehicle, but because it was newer and i was not 25 or married they had to list it as my full time vehicle, so now my truck is listed as a part time vehicle at $50 per month. and the jet ski is a measely $25 per month :p (everything full coverage)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It all depends on how the 16 yr old drives, there is a lot of power in these cars V6 or V8, with great power comes......... and all that. The money thing should be the second thing to worry about, because if they can't drive in the first place it dose not really matter what you give them, and adding a high performance vehical to that situation is just asking for trouble and sorrow.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
i didn't get a Camaro when i was 16... tho i REALLY, REALLY wanted one. my mom got me a Corsica instead... and i'm glad she did. my first car was a learning experience... i backed into someone, curb checked a wheel when i decided to drive without my glasses, ran over a pipe, the doors got keyed by my bf's ex, it got egged by another ex, i learned how crappy turtle wax is... and other things i'm so glad i didn't have to put a Camaro thru. by the time i was 19 and i bought my 98 V6 Camaro, i was much wiser and took utmost care of that car. the cost of insurance and horsepower are other good considerations too.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
If he can afford it and pay fo the insurance without the help of the parents he can have it

·
Banned
95 Posts
I got my 78 camaro when I was 15--had to wait almost 5 months until I got my license! I paid for most of it, with a little bit of help from parents.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Think like most other people said, if they can pay for it they can have it.

But if its you footing the bill, with a reasonable lifestyle. In a word no. Buy a beater, let them drive that around for at least 2 years, dent ding and tweak it.

Then think about the camaro, i agree with the above 99.99% chance its gonna hit something else it shouldn't. Be it a car, curb, pole or animal.. its almost a guarentee it will.

I started driving when i was 13 on a farm, i able to drive backwards on a bumpy dusty puddle rock filled road at some 30 miles an hour and i still managed to somehow at 17 to find myself with 2 flat tires and paying for someones mailbox from going off the road one day.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just went to my insurance company today and theres no way i can afford it its about 8k every 6 months with my parents on there or my own quote which was over 11k every 6 months. this is way to expensive. this was a real let down to me but im not going to give up on my dream of owning this car.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
i just went to my insurance company today and theres no way i can afford it its about 8k every 6 months with my parents on there or my own quote which was over 11k every 6 months. this is way to expensive. this was a real let down to me but im not going to give up on my dream of owning this car.
that is A LOT! maybe try and get a 4th gen to start out? insurance will be a lot cheaper! i think i was paying $150 per month for my 94 firebird formula (10 year old car, then) back in 2003 when i was 16.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Try a 3rd gen then (they look better than the 4th anyway), there are tons of them around. I loved my '87 RS to death, literaly ran the poor thing in the ground. But it was a great car and it has to be cheaper than the 11k, 8k or 4k that you were talking about. Here is another thing, try to get quotes on the 305 v.s. 350 motor, for some reason I remember the 305 being alot cheaper on ins back then & you can still do mods after you are set up.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts