Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California — GM engineers at today's official 2010 Chevrolet Camaro unveil were all too willing to provide performance numbers for their hot, new muscle car, including quarter-mile and 0-60-mph times.

Al Oppenheiser, chief engineer for GM's North American rear-wheel-drive platform and owner of a first-generation Camaro convertible, was pleased to run through his baby's accomplishments.

According to Oppenheiser, the new 300-horsepower 3.6-liter V6-equipped Camaro will run from zero to 60 mph in 6.1 seconds regardless of transmission choice. The V6 coupe will cover the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds with an auto and 14.7 seconds with a manual, both at 97 mph. The brakes don't sound quite as impressive, though, as Oppenheiser said the base Camaro stops from 60 to zero mph in 132 feet.

Not surprisingly, the V8-equipped Camaro SS delivers better numbers across the board. Chevy's Camaro SS outfitted with the 422-hp 6.2-liter LS3 V8 six-speed manual hits 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and runs a 13.4-second quarter-mile at 108 mph according to Oppenheiser. Strangely enough, Oppenheiser also claims that the automatic-equipped SS Camaro, which is rated at 400 hp, runs from zero to 60 mph in just 4.6 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 13.3 seconds. "We optimized the shift points," he said.

Both versions of the V8 Camaro SS pull a maximum 0.90 g on the skid pad. Four-piston Brembo brakes help stop the Camaro SS in 117 feet.

What this means to you: If Chevrolet's numbers pan out, the Camaro SS will be every bit as fast as the Dodge Challenger SRT8 for a lot less money. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor

Article from Edmunds.com:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=129496

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I'm shocked with the weight comparision how the V8 auto edges out the V8 manual in the quarter.

I'm wondering with the weight situation how will it rank with the rustang GT ?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
ok sweet so my 422-hp 6.2-liter LS3 V8 six-speed manual will go

0- 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and runs a 13.4-second quarter-mile at 108 mph
and also pulls 0.90 g on the skid pad while still stoping 60-0 in 117 feet?

SWEET! :D

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
as underrated has the LS3 is, I think that 13.4 is due to a weak driver or someone under the "take it easy on the car" command.

If a 400hp GTO can muster 12.9, I think a LS3 Camaro equipped with better suspension, more power, and even with the weight can pull something better than 13 flat.

Hell the best time from a stock SRT-8 Chally is 13.1 now. Someone tell big man to put it through harder.

and I think the V6 is a 14 flat car.

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
3725 lbs

·
Registered
455 Posts
Auto is faster then Manual wow that doesnt add up in my head but i guess it might make some people go auto ... 1/4 mile should be a tad faster but when it gets produced there will be more potential just like Z06 if u read around everyone claims 3.7 but it can do3.4second to sixty

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
so

gto = 3725 and 400hp at the crank
camaro = 3860 and 422 at the crank
thing to consider the LS3 in the vette can put down 395 tot he wheels. The Ls3 is more underrated than the LS2 was I think. And if the weight was the same that would be only about a 1.5 tenth in quarter off on the camaro. I still think it has more.

·
Registered
208 Posts
although it said LS3 in the beginning, i believe that this is the l99 which of course is the lesser v8 with better economy and probably is rated at it's real output. maybe a press screw up or something(i hope:eek:). the ls3 should push into the 12's or at least a 13 flat. i read the g8 gxp with the ls3 is claimed by gm to run 4.7 to 60 and a 13 flat, i think that is the manual if i remember right and they didn't make a claim on the auto for that yet. like y'all pointed out earlier, the gto ran a 13 flat with the 4 speed auto, and a 13.1 with the six speed. that's what gm claimed, i have it in a brochure beside me lol, so i guess the auto being faster shouldn't be a surprise, but idk how 4 vs. 6:confused:

i know they ran the new cts-v around nurburgring with the 6 speed auto instead of the standard because it is faster. but chevy claim's the corvette is .2 of a second slower in the 1/4 with the auto, and .3 slower 0-60, again, i'm confused:confused:

i think the ls3 is super under rated as everyone claims and is probably closer to 450 hp net and i think the fastest camaro will run a 12.8-12.9 in the quarter, whichever transmission that will be lol. the corvette runs a 12.5 with the ls3 from what i read in motor trend and road and track if i remember right.

if u can't tell i'm a stats kinda guy and i'm really into the transmission argument, i have a 4 speed auto in my 2002 but i really want a 6 speed standard in my camaro if i get a new one because i plan on getting into autocross type events and i think they're more durable and give u better control over the car as they say, i've done much research lol

plus fuel economy

i know this is off topic, but what do y'all think? i do drive a lot in traffic but i drive a standard pretty good now so i don't think it will bother me. my dad says he won't let me get one with standard, but i think i can convince him if i do decide to trade for a new one

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Tommy, the 4 speed tranny vs the 6 speed tranny in the 1/4 isn't much of a comparison in regards to the car's abilities. You're only using the first 3 gears with the 6 speed. As for the roadcoarse, I think the auto will be fine if the Tapshift is utilized correctly.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Auto is faster then Manual wow that doesnt add up in my head but i guess it might make some people go auto ... 1/4 mile should be a tad faster but when it gets produced there will be more potential just like Z06 if u read around everyone claims 3.7 but it can do3.4second to sixty
for 1/4 mile times, a good auto will be faster...it shifts faster...as long as you can get a good launch, I would think the auto would be faster. The auto also has a lower first gear which could make up for the weight difference and/or HP difference.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
You guys are missing something with this argument.

The auto will be quicker, NOT faster. So, when that auto goes 13.3 @ 105, but the 6 speed goes 13.4 @ 108, it will prove that the 6 speed is putting more power to the ground and it will be especially noticable on the highway as the 6 speed pulls away.

The quickness from the automatic cars comes from the gearing and the torque converter. That is it. How else do you think a car with supposedly 20 less hp and more weight is quicker?

Nonetheless, these specs are yawn-worthy when compared to the 4th gens. My 2000 SS when it was 100% stock, went 13.5 @ 106. It was dyno'd at 303rwhp and 319rwtq stock - which is appx 358hp and 376tq and weighing appx 3400lbs. I will reserve final judgement until we start seeing Joe Schmoe track numbers and dyno.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
We have an 05 GTO. Good luck getting a 6 speed stock tune GTO in the 12.9 range. We were lucky to see 13. Once I brought the car to Futral Motorsports and Allen tuned it things changed. 12.9 is very possible with its current tune. This is promising news that they claim low 13's with stock tune on 6 speed camaro. I would guess Allen should be able to wake that tune up a bit on the new Camaro and some high 12s should be promising.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have an 05 GTO. Good luck getting a 6 speed stock tune GTO in the 12.9 range. We were lucky to see 13. Once I brought the car to Futral Motorsports and Allen tuned it things changed. 12.9 is very possible with its current tune. This is promising news that they claim low 13's with stock tune on 6 speed camaro. I would guess Allen should be able to wake that tune up a bit on the new Camaro and some high 12s should be promising.
I agree with you 100% on a bone stock 05 GTO (or any bone stock GTO) getting into the 12's. :screwy:

This magazine racing is always fruitless and pointless, but know this:
You cannot put much stock in what Motor Trend or any other rag says they made from 0-60 or in the 1/4 mile. Too many variables. Bad driver mod, track conditions, Density Altitude, and just flat out lying to make the manufacturer happy sometimes. (it happens)

To get any straight dope on performance numbers, you will have to wait until we get our grubby mitts on these cars and thrash them on our own. :)
The fact that an auto equipped car gets a better E.T. in the quarter is no big surprise to drag racers. As someone said, the auto will almost always launch better than the manual unless you have Evan Smith at the wheel of the manual trans car. ;)

I am sure they didn't want any of the test drivers dioing 5k rpm clutch dumps on the new car, and with stock tires, all they do is spin anyway. You can control that spin more in the auto and get a much better 60' time, then the manual has been smoked. The fact that the manual with the 422 HP traps a higher MPH only means it pulls harder once it gets in the higher gears where it isn't spinning anymore (as previously stated) ;)

It will be interesting to see some real world numbers when the cars hit the streets and drag strips. I just want the new Camaro to smoke both the Challenger and the Mustang in all heads up contests.
That will make my day. :lol:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nurburgring!!!

Edmunds reports that the Camaro SS lapped Germany’s Nürburgring in 8 minutes 20 seconds. While not as blistering as the Corvette ZR1’s 7:26.4 second lap, it still puts the Camaro in some pretty decent company, such as the E46 BMW M3. However, the Camaro SS’ little brother — the 2008 Cobalt SS — made its way around the Nürburgring in just 8:22.

The SS is only 2 seconds faster than the cobalt ss? WTF!!!:BangHead:

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Edmunds reports that the Camaro SS lapped Germany’s Nürburgring in 8 minutes 20 seconds. While not as blistering as the Corvette ZR1’s 7:26.4 second lap, it still puts the Camaro in some pretty decent company, such as the E46 BMW M3. However, the Camaro SS’ little brother — the 2008 Cobalt SS — made its way around the Nürburgring in just 8:22.

The SS is only 2 seconds faster than the cobalt ss? WTF!!!:BangHead:
Every discounts the Cobalt, but that SS is a wicked little car. It's the performance bargain of the year.

·
Registered
523 Posts
as underrated has the LS3 is, I think that 13.4 is due to a weak driver or someone under the "take it easy on the car" command.

If a 400hp GTO can muster 12.9, I think a LS3 Camaro equipped with better suspension, more power, and even with the weight can pull something better than 13 flat.

Hell the best time from a stock SRT-8 Chally is 13.1 now. Someone tell big man to put it through harder.

and I think the V6 is a 14 flat car.
my 3400 lb all steel even the hood no nos 69 camaro w a 3sp auto 350 v8 est. at 360 hp with a 3.55 gear runs consistent 12.30 1/4 mile passes. so i know these numbers are low for a reason.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts