Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
They could have done the same with the G8 GT.

The G8 would probably win.
Or atleast be a draw.

EDIT: Holy crap, the 6.1L hemi takes 91 octane fuel?

So it requires premium fuel AND gets horrible gas mileage?

wow.

EDIT x2:
I was hoping that article wouldn't say anything stupid and wrong. The camaro isn't being built in ozzieland, ya dips. :\

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
basically what I have predicted. If a L76 can hang with Srt-8 Charger, the Chally weighs 40 less than the Charger, and if the Camaro weight at least 100 lbs less than the G8........ then I can see even a L76 Camaro beating a SRT-8 Chally (And that not even trim for trim...A L76 Camaro could prolly murder a 380hp Chally R/T).

·
Registered
455 Posts
By the sounds of things LS3 doesnt need to be in the Camaro at all.... its just there to shatter anyones hopes and dreams of beating the CAMARO SS!/Z28! w/e top dog is

·
Registered
47 Posts
great article now I give you the quote of the day from it "God help Dodge and Ford should Chevy decide to do a limited higher-performance SS model with the 505-hp LS7 from the Corvette Z06 or the 620-hp supercharged LS9 from the Corvette ZR1." I just had to add Ford because you know they are worried to

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Ive heard the gearing arguement, but I still think if a L76 G8 can hang with 425hp Charger then something is up with the L76's or 6.1 Hemi's ratings.

If not, this car is highly restrained from the factory.
A CAI here, a tune there.........:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672

There best time stock was 13.40 @ 103 mph.
A G8 is a heavier car than a LS2 GTO. Most LS2 GTOs run those kind of times out of the box (even though GM stated it for 12.9 in the quarter).

I expect a Camaro weighing near that of the last GTO will run 13 flat. If that same car can do that at a price near that of the current mustang....I think noone should complain. I wouldnt. Not to mention how responsive the L76 is to mods. If a L76 VE can breaking into the 11 with just bolt-ons, im sure a camaro could to with a little more ease. Then cam only.......jesus....low 11s in a VE, im sure a Camaro witht he same cam spec and bolt-ons could squeeze out a high 10 with a good driver.

But then again Im speculating. It at least a positive outlook though. LS3 is good and all, but underestimation of the L76 would bring on some fun.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Ive heard the gearing arguement, but I still think if a L76 G8 can hang with 425hp Charger then something is up with the L76's or 6.1 Hemi's ratings.

If not, this car is highly restrained from the factory.
A CAI here, a tune there.........:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672

A G8 is a heavier car than a LS2 GTO. Most LS2 GTOs run those kind of times out of the box (even though GM stated it for 12.9 in the quarter).

I expect a Camaro weighing near that of the last GTO will run 13 flat. If that same car can do that at a price near that of the current mustang....I think noone should complain. I wouldnt. Not to mention how responsive the L76 is to mods. If a L76 VE can breaking into the 11 with just bolt-ons, im sure a camaro could to with a little more ease. Then cam only.......jesus....low 11s in a VE, im sure a Camaro witht he same cam spec and bolt-ons could squeeze out a high 10 with a good driver.

But then again Im speculating. It at least a positive outlook though. LS3 is good and all, but underestimation of the L76 would bring on some fun.

I can go with that. I'm willing to bet the L76 is a tad underrated to post times that close to the SRT-8, that and the 6speed auto helped the acceleration alot. Most dyno's of the slopars back up their claim. I can imagine the look on a mustang GT's face when a 4 door car blows their doors off :lol::roxor:.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Not to get too picky here but actually the GTO was rated from GM at 13.0 and there was a post somewhere that a bone stock GTO ran 12.9 and now that has been beat and it is 12.8x not sure of the speeds though. I can do some research if you like, to post later.

My hopes are for a lighter camaro than GTO and a LS3. That would mean a good driver (me after stomping many a mustang and chally :lol:) to get somewhere in the high to mid 12s, bone stock

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
3800 lbs (GTO weight) with a 435 hp LS3 is 12's bone stock easily.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Not to get too picky here but actually the GTO was rated from GM at 13.0 and there was a post somewhere that a bone stock GTO ran 12.9 and now that has been beat and it is 12.8x not sure of the speeds though. I can do some research if you like, to post later.

My hopes are for a lighter camaro than GTO and a LS3. That would mean a good driver (me after stomping many a mustang and chally :lol:) to get somewhere in the high to mid 12s, bone stock
True. I was thinking one of the two (thought off the top of my head, lol), but I havent seen the 12.8 thrown around a whole a lot. I would be surprised if the Camaro weighs a significant amount less than a GTO. But Im sure GM has the right blend on power (where the mustang fails) and weight (where the chally fails) to beat the trim for trim competitor.

Plus even if the base V8 camaro is a little slower than the last GTO, i wouldn get my panties in bunch over it. If the L76 is the base engine in the camaro and a premium four door Zeta (G8-L76) has a starting cost of less than that of the last GTO, I would imagine a a coupe zeta would go for less (maybe 27k-28k ish). With that in mind, I think we are doin good. Hell, a LS3 camaro in the last GTO's price range would be a bargain today....to me anyway.

·
Registered
330 Posts
no worries here :) just more conformation that the Camaro is about to rule the streets again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.