Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have headers, CAI, exhaust, cat deletes, jennetty tune. My best time tonight was a 8.55 with a 2.05 60ft 85.2 mph. I feel as if this isnt that fast compared to the fast list. what do yall think?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Your 60ft time isn't so hot and can net you a big gain with practice. What are your RT's? Been playing with the air pressures like I suggested in your other thread? DA has a lot to do with ET's as well... Are you running in Sport Mode? It gives the most consistent shifting and will yield the best times....

Multiply your time by 1.6 to get NHRA full 1/4 mile times if interested....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My reaction times are between .024-.058. And yes i am running in sport mode. i have my tire pressure at 32 on the new tires and im gripping fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
13.6 1/4 sucks after all the money I have in it with these mods. Alot of stock cars are running faster than that

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Your 60ft time isn't so hot and can net you a big gain with practice. What are your RT's? Been playing with the air pressures like I suggested in your other thread? DA has a lot to do with ET's as well... Are you running in Sport Mode? It gives the most consistent shifting and will yield the best times....

Multiply your time by 1.6 to get NHRA full 1/4 mile times if interested....
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I think you calculated your times incorrectly. I had a 2.190 60' along with an 8.55 1/8th at 87.62 mph and still ran a 12.95 @ 112.27. And that night I ran a 12.9 twice and a 12.8 once. And that was on a 80 - 90 degree evening with a bad DA. My SS has every bolt-on available. So I'm not sure where you got 13.4 from but I'd say your 1/4 mile would have been more like a 12.9 to 12.8, maybe even better. Only way to really know is to actually run a 1/4.

As far as the fast list, you can't really compare what your car does on one night at one track in one state to what another car does on a different night at a different track in a different state. There are many variable to consider that may affect times. DA plays a huge factor. You can probably lose up to a second depending on where you are in the country. For example, my 12.8 corrected to a 12.1 if I had a perfect DA. And second, I don't know how much of those fast lists and 1/4 mile times from magazines I believe. I think the mags are somewhat accurate in telling you which cars are faster than others stock to stock. But I that's about it. And these fast lists, I say let these people run side by side with you and then see if they're really running these times. Maybe they are with a really good launch on a perfect day with a good tail wind. But outside of that, nope.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
My reaction times are between .024-.058. And yes i am running in sport mode. i have my tire pressure at 32 on the new tires and im gripping fine.
If you aren't spinning the tires thru 60ft and have a 60ft time like that, there is something wrong for sure. Make sure you have the TC off, it will kill the party big time... You may need to lower the tires pressures even further if you still have wheelspin.

I think you calculated your times incorrectly.
The 1.6 factor I gave him is what NHRA uses for conversion from 1/8th - 1/4mile... You may have used the 1.55 or 1.56 conversion factor that a lot of people use, Why, I don't know, but it is listed out there a lot... :confused:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If you aren't spinning the tires thru 60ft and have a 60ft time like that, there is something wrong for sure. Make sure you have the TC off, it will kill the party big time... You may need to lower the tires pressures even further if you still have wheelspin.

The 1.6 factor I gave him is what NHRA uses for conversion from 1/8th - 1/4mile... You may have used the 1.55 or 1.56 conversion factor that a lot of people use, Why, I don't know, but it is listed out there a lot... :confused:
I didn't use a conversion factor. I just compared my times and my MPH to his. He had the same 1/8th time as I did. Yet my 8.55 took me to a 12.9. And I had a few slower 1/8 mile times that same night. Yet I ran faster than all the conversion factors said I should have run. Some of my 1/8th mph were slower than OPs. Example:

I had an 8th of 8.71 but a quarter of 13.12
I had an 8th of 8.60 but a quarter of 13.02
I had an 8th of 8.86 but a quarter of 13.30
And on a different night I had two 8.6s that both turned into a 13.0
And there were 3 other cars. 2 ran an 8.99 in the 8th with a 13.8 quarter, the other one had a 9.01 in the 8th but ran a 13.5 quarter.

By all the factors, I should have ran slower times than I did. The conversion factors are ok IMO, but I still say you have to actually run the full 1/4 and see what that times comes out to. I think OP would have ran more like a 13 flat or 12.9.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hold the tc button for about 10 seconds until both lights come on. I do a burn out with it in M1. I have tried just scuffing the tires to holding it until they boil smoke. pull up to the line i shift it to neutral and back to Sport mode. I have tried from a dead stop up to about 1600 rpms. It doesnt spin at all on take off. it spins when it shifts to 2nd nomatter if i have 22psi or 34psi. i ran about 15 times last night. and varied the tires pressures. my best time came at 30psi i ran a 8.48. i was on my brakes trough the trap. so possible low 8.40 run. i paddle shifted that time also and shifted on rev limiter. i think my best 60ft was 2.01, ill verify when i get home. will the 330ft time help yall? how do yall recommend taking off? i also took Ted Jennetty's tune out and put in Superchips tune. My best time on his tune was 8.55 i believe.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Where in FL are you located? Auto or manual? Reaction times only matter when you actually do sanctioned racing, they do not effect ET at all. Are you staging to deep? That slows down short times (60') and overall ET. Barely turn the second bulb off so your shallow staged.

Do you have a dyno graph to post from a loaded dyno to see where your curve is?

Our 200,000 mile bracket car ran mid 11's in the 1/4 with only 358 RWHP for years

184,000 mile old C5 Bracket Beater - Dragzine.com

You can see suspension setup and the correct converter are key to quick ET's from a moderately powered car. (After the last mods we ran high 10's).

So lots of things it could be....just spending $ will not guarantee a quick car, all components must compliment each other. Another helpful tool would be if you have HPTuners, log a run and email it to me or one of the others and we can see exactly what the engine is doing during the run....may be excessive KR taking place, etc.

After you get comfortable with the car and have it all sorted out, if you want to race and make some $ then step into more training:

DragRacing 101 July Lesson: - Corvette Forum

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I personally think you're running about what you should expect to run from a bolt-on 5th Gen SS on street tires. Some DRs will shave some time off. But also, again, you can't always go by the calculators, or by what magazines say, or by the fast lists. Back a few years ago when I ran my 03 Mustang GT, I was running a 14.1 and I beat a few LT1 Camaros. They were supposed to be high 13 second cars. And the night I ran a 12.8 in my SS, another SS couldn't get into the 13s. And a RT Chally was running a 13.8 when they're supposed to run mid to low 13s.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dropped my tire pressure to 22, I am still spinning in second but I did run my fastest time so far of 8.37

·
Registered
775 Posts
What class(es) do you run? Just Div2 or chase Nat events? We may run against each other if you have been racing for years. We run most National events (looks like we just cinched the World Championship in Super stock this past weekend at Las Vegas).

If your a veteran drag racer, then just apply what makes your drag cars work and hook.

I would invest in a set of DR's for the back at least and see if that helps, but the proper converter and tires are a must at this stage.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
An 8.37 should put you in the 12.6 - 12.8 range I would think if not faster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i raced Jrs when I was a kid. Then I raced my dads 67 Chevelle (SP)box and 68 Camaro(P)no box. I raced at Jax Raceway until it closed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts