Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had my exhaust replaced under TSB PI00027 because of an annoying rattling sound at cold start and intermittent through the gears. I figured once the exhaust was replaced the problem would be taken care of..........Wrong! The new exhaust was installed about 4 days ago and Im hearing the same sound but now its coming from the drivers side. So, I decided to set up the video camera when I started the car this morning and fortunately I was able to capture the sound. You can hear it in attached clip at about 12 secs in and then again around 19 seconds. Does anyone else have this happening with their 6.2 M6? Thanks for any help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mP4CYQFFlI

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I have an A6, but that sound is a mystery to me. Let us know what you find out! Good luck.

·
Registered
328 Posts
No problems here either. Sounds like a nut rattling around in the muffler LOL.
Hope its nothing serious. Maybe a loose nut behind the steering wheel?!?
LOL

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was thinking about this and it seems like it happens ofen enough to put it on a lift and see if you can tell where it is coming from. Maybe do the old wiggle test...kinda? You know poke around with a long screw driver and see if you can make it rattle.

Something else, does it only happen in the morning or when the car is cold? if so maybe park it on a lift and start it while it is in the air, the next morning. That is if you know someone with a lift.

Good Luck,
Ken

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about this and it seems like it happens ofen enough to put it on a lift and see if you can tell where it is coming from. Maybe do the old wiggle test...kinda? You know poke around with a long screw driver and see if you can make it rattle.

Something else, does it only happen in the morning or when the car is cold? if so maybe park it on a lift and start it while it is in the air, the next morning. That is if you know someone with a lift.

Good Luck,
Ken
Yep, I had the same thoughts and couldn't find anything. I didn't use a lift, but a jack and some stands. I still couldn't find anything loose. It does happen almost all the time when it's a cold start, but not all the time. Just like when shifting through the gears, it typically rattles when I am just creeping like through a parking lot and when i get to around 3k on the RPMS. I'm in Alaska right now for work and won't be home until the end of July so I'm making an appt with the dealer to take another look when I get back and I'm bringing the video with me this time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problems here either. Sounds like a nut rattling around in the muffler LOL.
Hope its nothing serious. Maybe a loose nut behind the steering wheel?!?
LOL
Not sure about the first one, but there could definitely be an argument made for the second comment :lol:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
this will sound crazy but I would put it on a rack and take a big rubber hammer and start hitting the exhaust until it stopped.. used to work on my older f bodies.. :lol:

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
it is definitely a loose baffle in your mufflers... one of the reasons why i don't buy chambered mufflers for any of my cars. i.e. flowmaster

if your worried about an aftermarket exhaust being too loud, i hear the borla touring exhaust is pretty tame.

at the very least make the delaership replace the stock mufflers with the GMPP axle back (identical to the borla since borla makes the GMPP exhaust)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it is definitely a loose baffle in your mufflers... one of the reasons why i don't buy chambered mufflers for any of my cars. i.e. flowmaster

if your worried about an aftermarket exhaust being too loud, i hear the borla touring exhaust is pretty tame.

at the very least make the delaership replace the stock mufflers with the GMPP axle back (identical to the borla since borla makes the GMPP exhaust)
Thanks for the comment. I actually tried to get the dealership to do that the first time I brought it in for this sound and the the service manager said GM told him no, it has to be replaced with the OEM exhaust that was part of the original order. But, I will ask this time as well since this will be the second time I'm going back for the same issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I finally got a chance to bring my car back to the dealer for the rattling noise. Keeping in mind I already had the exhaust replaced because of loose baffles. Anyway, the dealer called and told me they found a loose 02 sensor. Said it was about 3 turns loosed and once they tightened it up the noise stopped. They are going to replace the sensor tomorrow. I'm hoping this is the last time I have this problem. I'll update my status after they replace the sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the rattle at 1100 to1300 rpm. Took her to the dealer yesterday, GMPP mufflers being installed when they come in later this week, at minimal charge because only one of my stock mufflers was rattling, they would have replaced just the one stock muffler, but I asked the service manager to see about the less restrictive mufflers. He called and said that he can do the GMPP mufflers at a minimal charge and the reason that they won't put them on the automatics is because of the active fuel management system that the L99's have, so they will only install the performance mufflers on the LS3 M6 equiped cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I finally got a chance to bring my car back to the dealer for the rattling noise. Keeping in mind I already had the exhaust replaced because of loose baffles. Anyway, the dealer called and told me they found a loose 02 sensor. Said it was about 3 turns loosed and once they tightened it up the noise stopped. They are going to replace the sensor tomorrow. I'm hoping this is the last time I have this problem. I'll update my status after they replace the sensor.
I was going to guess a loose sensor or it may be the shifter. I noticed that the shifter is very close to the trans tunnel on the passenger side. The other thing is the exhaust actually rests on the rear crossmember. So it could actually rattle if it were loose. Doubt it would be this if they had replaced the exhaust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have seen exhaust clamps properly seated and fully tight, however, the outside pipe is oversize (slightly) and the fit is loose until the system reaches running temperature.
You can find these using a rubber mallet. At a cat back joint on my vehicle i could not get the outside pipe to crimp down. So I cut 2 inch wides strips of rubber from a dead mountain bike tube, wrapped one turn on the internal pipe, shimmied the outside pipe on, fixed and torqued the clamp. Results=happy. I think there was actually some blow by escaping at the joint. The rattle can be blow by as well as joint creep. So far the rubber looks good there is a collar of it exposed. I think max pipe temp is about 120 degrees below the melting point of the rubber. If you have blowby you will see a residue trace at he joint.

Good luck, we all hate rattles. My problem was caused by after market cat backs. The factory fit was sound. However, god forbid i mention this, my car is 2007 GT (ford).

edco

1 - 17 of 17 Posts