Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumor has it the Camaro may be getting more than Alpha from the ATS. Birds word is that the 2.0T will find its way under the hood to combat fords new Ecoboost mustang.

Autocar does not name sources or say where they learned the information, but according to them, the sixth-gen Camaro will come with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbocharged engine producing 268 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. Those figures are awfully close to the 272 horsepower and 295 lb-ft put out by the LTG turbo four in the ATS.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
We can only hope the news is wrong. They wanna turbo something, turbo the six.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a Turbo six would steal too much thunder form the V8, then you have far too much over lap, V6, V6TT, V8...

Leave the V8 as top dog, Turbo the 4 and offer it as substitution on the V6. This way they help lower the CAFE on Camaro as well... Not to mention adding curb appeal in europe...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Turbo 4cyl in a Camaro, BLASPHEMY!! :eek: Takes me back to the "dark years of the early-mid '80's" when I spent many a day wondering if the Camaro would ever be great again.... :confused:
I hate when car makers do that, but this time around they seem to have their head on more straight when making these decisions

·
Registered
775 Posts
It is inevitable. The trend is moving rapidly to smaller displacement forced induction engines. The V8 is still safe for a few years to come, but look at the sales data. For every 1 V8 modern muscle car sold...there are 10-12 V6 versions of the same engine sold. That will migrate to the 4 cyl in the future. The caddy ATS 2.0 turbo is proving to be very mod friendly and power is not an issue. Back 6-8 years ago we were making 500-600 plus whp from the ecotech 4 cyl at that time, and DI just gives us more to work with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is inevitable. The trend is moving rapidly to smaller displacement forced induction engines. The V8 is still safe for a few years to come, but look at the sales data. For every 1 V8 modern muscle car sold...there are 10-12 V6 versions of the same engine sold. That will migrate to the 4 cyl in the future. The caddy ATS 2.0 turbo is proving to be very mod friendly and power is not an issue. Back 6-8 years ago we were making 500-600 plus whp from the ecotech 4 cyl at that time, and DI just gives us more to work with.
Pardon the language but... JESUS!!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
put output is just brutalllll

got to love how 4cylinders have evolved over tiime and how much more bulletproof they have become.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I hope they leave turbos on the imports. Who wants to pay big money for a four banger? Increase the mpg in the sweet LS3 and bump up the HP. These cars are sweet just like they are. IMO they are the best Camaro ever built! Plus turbo lag SUCKS!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would hope that for the Camaro, they can find a bit more power. After all, the Mustang EcoBoost is over 300 horsepower. And it'll be another showdown I'd love to see.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would hope that for the Camaro, they can find a bit more power. After all, the Mustang EcoBoost is over 300 horsepower. And it'll be another showdown I'd love to see.
yeah that's something they should focus on.
and with how much lighter the new camaro is....it should help greatly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Peaky Turbos are a thing of the past. Small sequential turbos spool unbelievably quickly and provide power over a much wider band than has been typical...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts