Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Cadillac Converj: Two Doors or Four?

The Cadillac Converj is still just a concept. Even though I'm far from the only motor journalist to have gushed over the star of the North American International Auto Show, General Motors' brass hasn't given a production version the green light. To refresh your memory, the Converj is a sexy 2+2 coupe riding on a version of the Chevrolet Volt's Voltec platform, powered by a 16 kW set of lithium-ion batteries with a 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine for recharging purposes only.

One obvious issue regarding its green light: the Converj is a two-door coupe. The kind of car designers love to draw.

Designers, working for GM as well as its competitors, haven't drawn many coupes in recent years because two-door models are tough to sell. Auto marketing executives consider them too "fashionable": they sell well in their first year of production, then drop off too quickly for the remaining three to five years of their lifecycle.

So GM management is considering a four-door version of the Converj concept for production, which wouldn't be earlier than about 2013, in order to make a more solid business case for the car. Vice chairman Bob Lutz says a production Converj would be as different from the concept model as the production Chevy Camaro is to its concept - there aren't many differences.

The Converj sedan's rear doors would probably have hidden door handles, and the rakish roofline would remain intact, creating a "four-door coupe" like the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, Audi A7 (Sportback concept) and others.

GM will show these options to clinics in order to help make a decision on the car.

Source: Motor Trend

·
2,774 Posts
BOTH should be built and not 2013 right now maybe a year after the Volt is in production..

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
Build it!

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I like the 4 door chop better than the real 2 door concecpt

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I don't know about that eggcrate grill on that particular car...looks like they couldn't figure out what else to do with it and left it alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts