Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
A friend of mine did the LSX swap with a 92mm turbo and i was lucky to have also worked on it. here is a vid of it and let me know if i can help with any questions.

LSX 427ci and 92mm turbo, roll cage, Asanti 22's with custom- body matching paint, lowered with H&R springs, Eibach sway bars, vented front fenders, factory gfx, Twin disk carbon fiber clutch, Barton shifter, 1500hp axles, PLX gauges, Ported L92 heads. Tinted lenses and windows, bow tie covers.

Stared in BATTLE OF THE SUPER CARS on SPEED CHANNEL vs a Mustang with 1000rwhp ( you can view the episode on HULU also)

Suspension, lens tint and engine detailing by CHAUFFE PERFORMANCE

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine did the LSX swap with a 92mm turbo and i was lucky to have also worked on it. here is a vid of it and let me know if i can help with any questions.

LSX 427ci and 92mm turbo, roll cage, Asanti 22's with custom- body matching paint, lowered with H&R springs, Eibach sway bars, vented front fenders, factory gfx, Twin disk carbon fiber clutch, Barton shifter, 1500hp axles, PLX gauges, Ported L92 heads. Tinted lenses and windows, bow tie covers.

Stared in BATTLE OF THE SUPER CARS on SPEED CHANNEL vs a Mustang with 1000rwhp ( you can view the episode on HULU also)

Suspension, lens tint and engine detailing by CHAUFFE PERFORMANCE
Nice looking vehicle, thanks for sharing.

Is that the GM LSX or an aftermarket block from RHS or HKE?

I'm doing a LSX 427ci. build as I had planned to forge the LS3 that had 7.5psi. of boost, but before I could get around to it one of the valves bent and did some harm, turns out slightly more expensive just to go with a new block than to forge the LS3.

Wondering about the heads though, are all the assemblies re-useable in LSX-LS7 heads, and are valve covers re-useable too? Also, would the new LS7 heads requie machining or can they be bolted directly on the LSX block? I know the LS7 heads have the 6 bolt configuration and have rectangular ports so they are stronger and flow #'s should be good, and are also well suited for high boosted engines.

The plan is to go with:

GM iron LSX block
GM LS3 or LSX-LS7 heads (depending on whether or not existing heads can be used; One is damaged in the valve port.)
Callies Dragonslayer crank
Callies pistons rods
Diamond pistons
Solid stainless valves (heavy duty)
And, all the other typical bolts, etc....

Would you suggest anything different or a "might as well" considering rebuild anyway? We're expecting a moderate 800rwhp. with a slightly more aggressive 91 octane tune with this setup. What about timing chain, etc....?

The vehicle has already been setup with a dual fuel pump, ProCharger D-1SC, head assembly (duel springs, crane rockers, etc....), blower CAM, headers, Catted 3" exhaust front to back. We were making 680rwhp. before it went CAM was very effecient.

Sorry, for so many questions but obviosly very nervous about this build as it's going to take some time and as you may already know very costly.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Nice looking vehicle, thanks for sharing.

Is that the GM LSX or an aftermarket block from RHS or HKE?

I'm doing a LSX 427ci. build as I had planned to forge the LS3 that had 7.5psi. of boost, but before I could get around to it one of the valves bent and did some harm, turns out slightly more expensive just to go with a new block than to forge the LS3.

Wondering about the heads though, are all the assemblies reusable in LSX-LS7 heads, and are valve covers reusable too? Also, would the new LS7 heads require machining or can they be bolted directly on the LSX block? I know the LS7 heads have the 6 bolt configuration and have rectangular ports so they are stronger and flow #'s should be good, and are also well suited for high boosted engines.

The plan is to go with:

GM iron LSX block
GM LS3 or LSX-LS7 heads (depending on whether or not existing heads can be used; One is damaged in the valve port.)
Callies Dragonslayer crank
Callies pistons rods
Diamond pistons
Solid stainless valves (heavy duty)
And, all the other typical bolts, etc....

Would you suggest anything different or a "might as well" considering rebuild anyway? We're expecting a moderate 800rwhp. with a slightly more aggressive 91 octane tune with this setup. What about timing chain, etc....?

The vehicle has already been setup with a dual fuel pump, ProCharger D-1SC, head assembly (duel springs, crane rockers, etc....), blower CAM, headers, Catted 3" exhaust front to back. We were making 680rwhp. before it went CAM was very efficient.

Sorry, for so many questions but obviously very nervous about this build as it's going to take some time and as you may already know very costly.
Hi,

he has a GM LSX block in it. All the parts that you listed look good. Go with a name brand oil pump and timing chain also if you haven't already put that on the list. The 6 bolt LS7x heads will work as well as all the valve covers, etc. You really need the 6 bolt heads with boost on the motor. 800rwhp is very doable with that setup. The LSX block can handle up too 2000hp.

what type of suspension do you have? you really need to up grade axles, bushings, arms with that much hp. is it an auto or manual?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

he has a GM LSX block in it. All the parts that you listed look good. Go with a name brand oil pump and timing chain also if you haven't already put that on the list. The 6 bolt LS7x heads will work as well as all the valve covers, etc. You really need the 6 bolt heads with boost on the motor. 800rwhp is very doable with that setup. The LSX block can handle up too 2000hp.

what type of suspension do you have? you really need to up grade axles, bushings, arms with that much hp. is it an auto or manual?
Did a lot of work on suspension already, but could need more perhaps, next year. By the time this gets built I won't be able to drive much this year.

So, far did sway bars, end-links, diff bushing, race springs, chassis brace, strut brace. Handled very well at 680rwhp.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Did a lot of work on suspension already, but could need more perhaps, next year. By the time this gets built I won't be able to drive much this year.

So, far did sway bars, end-links, diff bushing, race springs, chassis brace, strut brace. Handled very well at 680rwhp.
cool, seems like you have it covered. maybe go with cradle bushing inserts as well.:thumbsup:

sounds like you have done your research. you'll be fine :)

here is a pic of the LSX Block before it went in

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, seems like you have it covered. maybe go with cradle bushing inserts as well.:thumbsup:

sounds like you have done your research. you'll be fine :)

here is a pic of the LSX Block before it went in
You know; that was the plan going forward for this year. Subframe bushings, and control arms but then kaplunk on LS3 forced me to move up the timeline on getting forged engine.

I have to tell you man; LSX is a beautifull piece of engineering, you must be thrilled with that thing under the hood. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Black10 -
I was wondering if you had any advice/tips I can use, I got
2011 1ss RS LS3
Hennessey CAI
MBRP cat back
Borla shorty headers

Planning on going with a cam kit from GM, and eventually in a year or so the edel Brock e force S/C any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
You know; that was the plan going forward for this year. Subframe bushings, and control arms but then kaplunk on LS3 forced me to move up the timeline on getting forged engine.

I have to tell you man; LSX is a beautifull piece of engineering, you must be thrilled with that thing under the hood. :thumbsup:
no, its not in my car but i wish it was. i just did some of the work on the car

welcome Darth!

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Black10 -
I was wondering if you had any advice/tips I can use, I got
2011 1ss RS LS3
Hennessey CAI
MBRP cat back
Borla shorty headers

Planning on going with a cam kit from GM, and eventually in a year or so the edel Brock e force S/C any recommendations?
hi,

there are many cams to choose from or should i say, many cam dealers to choose from. if you are planning to eventually s/c your car i would talk to a few shops or manifactures so that you get a cam that will work with a s/c. the wrong cam can actually loose power if it isn't a blower cam. in not sure if the GM cam is designed for a S/C'ing.

I would talk to ADM, Jannetty racing, Vmaxx, or Shawn at Lethal Racing. They would have the best answer or advice for you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
hi,

there are many cams to choose from or should i say, many cam dealers to choose from. if you are planning to eventually s/c your car i would talk to a few shops or manifactures so that you get a cam that will work with a s/c. the wrong cam can actually loose power if it isn't a blower cam. in not sure if the GM cam is designed for a S/C'ing.

I would talk to ADM, Jannetty racing, Vmaxx, or Shawn at Lethal Racing. They would have the best answer or advice for you.:thumbsup:
Agreed.
My shop spent numerous hours investigating the "right" CAM for "my" setup. Choosing a CAM is as individual as choosing a pair of shoes.
I doubt GM will have an off the shelf CAM that will fit your needs, usually the CAM's all come from COMP CAM's made to specifications based on individual requirements.
I have a custom grind COMP blower CAM, my vehicle was making 680rwhp. with 7.5psi. of boost, with a very mild tune, that was using the 5" pulley (can't get any larger for the ProCharger).
Be wary of shops that want to sell you their Stage (nn), cookie cutter CAM, ask lot's of questions, figure out what your goals are in terms of HP, sound, and behaviour. ie - Larger CAM will make good power, but will have bad street manners in an M6 (stalling), or too large / small may not be effecient with a SC.

I'm dealing with this same decision. Do I forge my LS3 block or get a 427 LSX. Decisions decisions.
Hi Darth_Emma; Hope this helps.
My personal experience with the LS3 has not been too positive. We applied small amounts of boost and took all the precautions and it still broke. Now, that could be due to the fact that with my configuration we made 811hp. and perhaps the little engine just couldn't take it (a valve bent and destroyed piston), or was simply due to the fact that the valves GM uses are cheap or it was defective.

Regardless, the decision to go with an IRON LSX 427ci. w/ LSX-LS3 heads was based on a few things considering I have to re-build w/ forged parts anyway, and the choice was 418ci. maximum on an LS3 or entirely new block.

- I choose a new block because the LSX block is designed for huge power up to 2500hp. it can be bored to 376, 418, 427 or 454ci.+. You can only bore the LS3 to a recommended maximum of 418ci.
- LSX block is iron not aluminium; Obviously much stronger but heavier if you've upgraded suspension then who care if it's heavier. Also, think in terms of a passenger in the car; I'll make 100+hp. for the extra 100lbs. big deal right?
- Cost to go with a new block is slightly higher but it's worth the added confidence. Plus, you're starting with the proper framework, instead of trying to fix a problem. My opinion is GM should have forged the block to begin with (the LS3 is the same engine as the LS9 except LS9 has forged internals and a differnt digit 9). Believe me I did all the research and not too impressed with GM's decision to use cheaper parts.
- Can use existing LS3 heads or go with LSX-LS3 or other combination of heads (LSX-LS7). The LSX heads have 6-bolts instead of 4-bolts which are on the LS3; for high HP applications with boost you want the extra insurance your heads are bolted on to the block with an extra 2 bolts p/cylinder.
- With higher displacement you can achieve moderatly high TQ / HP 750+rwhp. without having to go with an aggressive tune, and at 9.1:1 compression 10psi.+ will be very safe and low engine IAT's.

Ultimately, you could simply do nothing but buy the forged internals and put them in the LS3, get your vehicle back in a few days and be good, but who knows these LS3's are very finicky, unless of course their in the ZR1 (LS9), and if you're going to re-build top to bottom you might as well get a solid block you can trust with your boost or for huge NA power. Hope this helps you with your decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, I'll admit I'm a noob when it comes to the LS series of engines. Can anyone show me a picture of the LS3 block and heads side-by-side with pics of the LSX, RHS, or HKE blocks and the 6-bolt version of heads that has been mentioned?

I can't see where the six bolts are, and how they're any different than the LS3 heads. I see 10 bolt holes for securing the heads to the block--where's the 6?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK, I'll admit I'm a noob when it comes to the LS series of engines. Can anyone show me a picture of the LS3 block and heads side-by-side with pics of the LSX, RHS, or HKE blocks and the 6-bolt version of heads that has been mentioned?

I can't see where the six bolts are, and how they're any different than the LS3 heads. I see 10 bolt holes for securing the heads to the block--where's the 6?
The reference to 6 bolts are specific to each cylinder have 6 bolts around them instead of 4 the LSX-LS(n) heads are configured to support 6 bolts, the LS3 standard heads only support 4 bolts. Here's a pic of the GM-LSX iron block.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks, I see the 2 extras at 12:00 and 6:00.

Now, which heads have the 6-bolts? LS7, LS9, L92? I suppose aftermarket co's like Mast make both versions?

Does the LS3 head with only 4 bolts fit on an LSX block--it just wouldn't use the 2 extra bolts?

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Thanks, I see the 2 extras at 12:00 and 6:00.

Now, which heads have the 6-bolts? LS7, LS9, L92? I suppose aftermarket co's like Mast make both versions?

Does the LS3 head with only 4 bolts fit on an LSX block--it just wouldn't use the 2 extra bolts?
I think you only need the 6 bolt heads when your boosted. I think any LS head will fit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts