Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have HIDs on their 4th Gen?
...or for that matter, have converted any other car to HIDs?

A headlight burnt out on my Camaro on Monday, dang Silvania Silvertars look good but only lasted about 15 months.

So I'm thinking of making the jump to HIDs.
LEDgauges.com has a nice kit that I like.

Anyway, if anyone here has done it, show me what you got! :)

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I have put these in 2 cars.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=260137832585

They were 6000k 9006.

They look great. This seller has great communication too. There is a warranty. One of the ballast went out on one of the sets. I sent it back and he had a new one back to me within a week. Worked fine since. Both sets are about 2 years old.

I prefer HIDs in a OEM lense though.

My camaro (track car) has 6000k LED bulbs. I wouldn't recomend them for street use though but they would work great at the track and do shine on the road some but are the same color as 6000K HID bulbs for about $30.

I just bought those this year and haven't got a chance to see them at the track yet:mad: because I haven't got my car back together yet.

The LED one would work great for fog lights though.
Here are some (not the same as I got, but look brighter)$50
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-9006-LED-Bulbs-brightest-LED-bulb-on-the-market_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQihZ013QQitemZ230163838573QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's a great price on those HID kits!

A 6000K LED bulb in the fog lights would match up nicely with 6000K HIDs in the headlights.
Just have to find the right bulb for the fog lights (894 or whatever it is).

Cool, thanks for the links! :)

·
5,668 Posts
The HID kit has came down queit a bit. This same exact one was $100 higher when I bought them 2 years ago.

·
5,668 Posts
really if there only $100 more for the HID vs LED for the fogs it might be worth it to go ahead and get the HIDs for a street car. That way they for sure match.

You might even save in shipping as well. The above kit for fogs and reg lights would still be less than $300 for 4 lights.

BTW if you do get that kit. For some reason the positive and the Negetive are backwards (japan stuff maybe the reason) When you plug them in all you have to do is flip the connector over oppisite of what it should be and it will make it work fine. I couldn't get mine to work at first untill I contacted them and they told me what to do.

·
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah ok good to know. Thanks. :)

Yeah, I'm thinking about just doing all the lights HID.
Low-beams (9006) High-beams (9005) and fogs (894).

Man I'm gonna have ballasts everywhere. :lol:

·
5,668 Posts
yes you are:lol:

One reason besides cost that my track car got LED instead is because of added weight. I'm sure its not much but I guess it adds up and weight reduction cost money.

·
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, plus you wouldn't want ballasts all over the place on a drag car either hehe.

Is this stuff pretty easy to install?
Does it just plug into the factory headlight plug? or will I have to do some wiring?

·
5,668 Posts
Yeah, plus you wouldn't want ballasts all over the place on a drag car either hehe.

Is this stuff pretty easy to install?
Does it just plug into the factory headlight plug? or will I have to do some wiring?
plug and play very easy besides that little thing I already said. Very very very easy. The only thing that you will have to do is mount the ballast.

·
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, I'm gonna order this stuff today. :)

I'm glad it's all plug-and-play, because after installing a new head unit and a power antenna in my car earlier this month, I don't ever want to splice a wire again. :lol:

·
5,668 Posts
Awesome, I'm gonna order this stuff today. :)

I'm glad it's all plug-and-play, because after installing a new head unit and a power antenna in my car earlier this month, I don't ever want to splice a wire again. :lol:
After rewiring my entire car I don't think I want to see another wire again:lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
After rewiring my entire car I don't think I want to see another wire again:lol:
I feel your pain dude....I didn't totally rewire the 240sx I used to have, but I **** near touched every wire in it, and added quite a few more..its not fun stuff.

·
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, this week I got all 3 kits ordered. :)

9006 & 9005 kits from Intense HID, 6000K.
894 fog light kit from someone else, also 6000K.

9006 kit arrived today and it's installed.
Super easy to install, hardest part was figuring out where to mount the ballasts lol.

And.... OMG they look so awesome!
Someone tell me why didn't I do this sooner, cuz I don't know. :lol:

·
5,668 Posts
sweet, which kit did you end up using?

·
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the headlight kits from IntenseHID, the ebay seller you recommended.
I installed the 9006 6000K kit today (only one I've received so far).
And you're right, the connector on the ballast has to go in backwards lol.

Very happy with the results. :cool:
I'm anxious to drive at night now hehe.
Right now the regular fog lights look like ass next to them. :lol:

Can't wait till the other two kits arrive!

·
5,668 Posts
Cool. We need some pics when its done.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts