Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering a 4th gen or maybe even a 3rd gen model. Just wondering why people rebuild their engines so often... Also, will a newly rebuilt LS1 (or similar small block) engine last say 200k with daily driving and occasionaly spirited driving?

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
You never know with engines, what will last and what won't. I just rebuilt the LT1 in my Corvette. It would have lasted a lot longer, with more oil in it. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, but some engines average over 100,000 miles... are these LS/LT rebuilds some of them...

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Mine did, too. 115k I killed it. Notice I didn't say it gave out.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I had an 86 IROC with 136K on the clock. It's the transmissions you have to worry about. 700R4 (and 4L60s) fail like clockwork at 200K.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, what trannys should I watch out for and which trannys are good?
Anything else to look for?

·
2,774 Posts
my engine was fine when I put her away..the A4's are the problem and the rearends are also..if treated right they should last..and my Camaro has like over 103K on it..so take it for what its worth..

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
4th Gens have iffy rear ends.
Only if you pound the poo out of it. My busted because I ran drag radials every day and could dump the clutch at 4000rpm. I doubt many people who are concerned with getting 200k miles out of an engine are going to be driving their cars like that.

FWIW, if you buy a 3rd gen, it's going to more than likely be ready for a refreshening (ie: high miles). So, get yourself a LS1 car and enjoy it for a long time.

Besides the drive train, ANY car that you plan on keeping for a long time will need things (suspension parts, brakes, etc). Good luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW, I'm only interested in M6s... So all good M6 trannys list plz.

Another thing: Who makes good aftermarket suspension components for the Camaro?

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
If you drive normal your rear should be fine.

As far as LS1's go, I think they are one of the most dependable engines for the power output. You can beat on them pretty hard and they just take it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait, we talking about seat comfort or? Because I was just wondering about that too...

·
Registered
330 Posts
i think that the 3rd gens are all (most) being rebuilt now for a couple of reasons... not only are they 15-25 yrs old, with alot of miles, but the kind of miles put on them... the majority of people who buy Camaros really run them pretty hard. i know i have all of mine... and have rebuilt or replaced just about all of their engines. some more then a couple times :D

and for transmissions, if you want a m6 then its got to be a T56 or an aftermarket trans. not sure who makes a m6, but TCI makes awesome automatic's

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
If you leave the car stock and drive normal its very reliable. Its too hard to drive them normal they beg to be beat on and modded. I don't know anyone with a 6 speed that had a part fail under normal conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I put over 163,000 hard miles on mine and never had anything fail prior to a bonehead mistake. Had to replace the pinion seal when I first got it and that was it. Never broke down on me and I had well over 100 track passes and many street romps. I think mine stayed floored more than it did not. Only reason mine went boom is an accidental downshift to 2nd gear at 80 MPH with 4.11 gears. LS1's with huge cams do not like to be spun over 7K even with dual valvesprings. It's an Automatic so never had any rearend problems even though I ditched it for a 9" to be on the safe side when I got the the real mods. The hydrolock excluded it again was user error. Do not go into deep water in a lowered Camaro with A bottom feeding Ram Air. Water does not compress and like to play peek a boo through the block.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts