Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Bob said no to a re-badged camaro

He also has other prorities for Pontiac products

...but that's not to say a 5th gen pontiac is out of the question - i'd expect people will start talking about pontiac versions when the boom sales of the camaro start to flatten out (give it a few years!)

·
Registered
863 Posts
I feel sure it will. The current GTO, whatever you think of it, is as we all know based off the Holden Monaro. Wasn't a lot of money or time to totally redo the body, so we got what they had to work with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Personally, I feel that the current GTO is a much maligned car. Admittedly, the 2004 was terribly plain, but the scooped hood and revised tail light treatment on the 05's and o6's gave it a much sportier look. The interior is very well done in my opinion, and it has a usable rear seat. Mechanically, it has an LS2, IRS and you can get it with a 6 speed. Folks, this is a good combination!

I know all about the wheel hop and I know you can't fit huge tires on it, and at 32k it is a bit too expensive new, but I hope to pick one up in a couple of years at a much reduced price (A Note to everyone else: keep hating it so the prices will crash ;) ). With the money I save, I can afford to fix the IRS, and I'll will have a nice 13 sec. sleeper that my kids can actually fit into. That should hold me over for a couple of years, and then I will try and pick up a slightly used 09' Camaro with an LS7 without paying the initial jackup from the dealer! (Thats the plan, at least! :cool: )

Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes a 5th gen firebird AND T/A should be made. Make the FB and camaro the same way as the 4th gens. Different, but the same. Besides if it does take some sales away from the GTO, would it really matter? Its still pontiac. And it would boost showroom traffic, cmon' who doesn't want a black T/A with a CV radio. lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
OverAnxious said:
So far, no Pontiac version of the Camaro
ChevroletManYes! said:
:nutkick: :lol:
Why do all you guys think there won't, or shouldn't be, a Firebird? GM could make it high performance only, with a strictly 6.2 and 7.0 lineup to differinteate it from the Camaro, which will have a V6, and YES. A 5.3 V8!!!:D :D

·
Registered
863 Posts
I can't tell you how many times GM officials including Mr. Lutz himself have said the 'bird is dead and not coming back.

What I can't figure out is why people can't accept that statement?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Because it's likely not true. People loved Firebirds too; with some differentiation from the Camaro it would be good. And if it steals some sales from Chevy, that's fine. The money still goes to General Motors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
I can't tell you how many times GM officials including Mr. Lutz himself have said the 'bird is dead and not coming back.

What I can't figure out is why people can't accept that statement?
I think people have been really enthusiastic about the photoshop rendering of a 5th Generation Firebird that has been going around. I think one magazine said they liked it even more than they liked the Camaro!

If I were to guess how things will go, I would have to say that GM will make the Camaro by 2009 (assuming they don't go bankrupt before then). The rumors I have read indicate that Pontiac is going to be reshaped as a rear-wheel drive performance line, Buick and Cadillac will be the mid and upper luxury lines and Chevy will be a little bit of everything, much as it is now. If things play out this way AND the Camaro hits the mark in sales (over 100k units a year), I wouldn't be suprised if Pontiac didn't end up with a reskinned version of the Camaro after a couple of years of Camaro success.

All just a guess on my part though.

Greg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts