Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More than 6,000 UAW members have accepted buyout and early retirement packages offered by General Motors Corp., which will allow the automaker to reduce its hourly ranks as part of its restructuring plan, the Free Press has learned.

More...

·
8,984 Posts
Well that's a start. Greedy bastards, the UAW that is.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
That's good news.

Although I'm not a fan of what the UAW does to pull down these giants, the employees signed up for these benefits and GM agreed to pay.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
That's good news.

Although I'm not a fan of what the UAW does to pull down these giants, the employees signed up for these benefits and GM agreed to pay.
Just out of curiosity, demonspeed (and truly with no intent to start a political discussion so -- please -- no one go there!), did you feel the same way about the AIG bonuses?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Just out of curiosity, demonspeed (and truly with no intent to start a political discussion so -- please -- no one go there!), did you feel the same way about the AIG bonuses?
I don't necessarilly even agree about the UAW pay and bonuses, but if AIG execs "signed" up for that type of pay, then in a way, you could say they were owed it. This is simply a "devil's advocate" way of looking at the situation.

My honest opinion, however, is that if a corporation receives government (tax payer) money, then certain things need to be forfeited (ie: big bonuses). I do not believe in any redistrubution of wealth, but if you are accepting someone else's money, then maybe the government should tell them where they will be cutting the fat if they receive the [our] cash.

If the government would have put half as much effort into the bank bailout as they have the auto LOANS, then many of these debacles could have been avoided.

As for the UAW, they shoot themselves in the foot by not budging on these issues. They need to come to an agreement or else there won't be any US auto industry to give them even a cent.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I don't necessarilly even agree about the UAW pay and bonuses, but if AIG execs "signed" up for that type of pay, then in a way, you could say they were owed it. This is simply a "devil's advocate" way of looking at the situation.

My honest opinion, however, is that if a corporation receives government (tax payer) money, then certain things need to be forfeited (ie: big bonuses). I do not believe in any redistrubution of wealth, but if you are accepting someone else's money, then maybe the government should tell them where they will be cutting the fat if they receive the [our] cash.

If the government would have put half as much effort into the bank bailout as they have the auto LOANS, then many of these debacles could have been avoided.

As for the UAW, they shoot themselves in the foot by not budging on these issues. They need to come to an agreement or else there won't be any US auto industry to give them even a cent.
Like I said, I was just curious. FWIW, I completely agree with you!

(Actually, if I were to put my tinfoil hat on for a few minutes, I might explain why I think much of the current events in the news were/are fabricated, manipulated and/or encouraged for genuinely nefarious reasons other than the purported greed/power-lust...)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts