Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I have been wanting an older muscle car to have as a project for a while. Ive come across a 75 Camaro for sale near my house.

What are some things to look for with these cars. I understand its gonna need some work, probably some rust repair but Im not too knowlegable on where the rust areas are or typical problems are for this model year.

If you wanna see the ad: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/802245475.html

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't know about Florida, but here in the snowbelt, these cars tend to rust around the rear window mouldings, rear quarters and wheelhouses, and look at the rear unibody "frame rails" in front of the rear axle. Even if the car needs some work, I think the price is quite reasonable, especially if it's a factory 4-speed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My dad and I have been wanting an older muscle car to have as a project for a while. Ive come across a 75 Camaro for sale near my house.

What are some things to look for with these cars. I understand its gonna need some work, probably some rust repair but Im not too knowlegable on where the rust areas are or typical problems are for this model year.

If you wanna see the ad: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/802245475.html
Check out nastyz28.com for info on 2dGen Camaro's

SF
Rick

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
" cars tend to rust around the rear window mouldings, rear quarters and wheelhouses, and look at the rear unibody "frame rails" in front of the rear axle. Even if the car needs some work, I think the price is quite reasonable, especially if it's a factory 4-speed. "

IF you are in florida the same thing goes for you as what was said up above.
Check the same places he mentioned. Im sure being in Florida you are close to the coast and if so the salt in the air is enough to Rust out a car.
You dont always see this rust...sometimes you have to look for it.
We have the same problems down in south Texas.
I agree with everything LT16SPEED said. He couldnt have said it any better. :patriot:

·
Registered
6 Posts
The main place they can go is the leaf spring mounts under the rear floor,rear seat belt mounts, shock towers, rear screen if you need to have a look i am doing a 79 camaro where i have had the whole rear done inc new chassis rail leg's check the floor pan around the front clip mounts i have some pics of my restoration on myspace.com/shelby550

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i emailed him and got a response:

it is not the factory engine or tansmission.

he bought this car around 2000 to use as a race car but decided it was too nice to cut up, so he fixed it up to drive everyday.

enginer rebuilt 2 years ago

the transmission is a saginaw cast iron 4 spd with a 2.47 second gear

says no accidents or body work since he has owned it.

i like the car and will be heading back to jacksonville this weekend to check it out.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
75 is one of those off years. There's nothing particularly great about the 75. The 74s still had the flat glass in the back from the 70-73, which lent well to conversion to a 70-73 look alike (IMO the best looking Camaros EVER). 74 was the last year of the Z until 77. They had an RS package, and that's pretty rare for the 75. Other than that, they just came as a plain old sport coupe or a type LT.

The best looking big bumper (74-77) second gen car EVER:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts