Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all this is my new project just acquired a new 79z28,well new to me anyway this is gonna be my new projectits an original 350/4speed car originally from texas came to michigan 4 years ago.its pretty much rust free couldnt believe what great shape it was in fior the price i just couldnt turn it down,this car will be getting my 436 chevy small block and a muncie m-20 4speed,bought this car as a roller so that will save me alot of work.just cant wait to get started on my baby as soon as the weather breaks a little,was originally a hugger orange car,it will be painted bright cobalt blue metallic,hope u all enjoy my thread.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
Looking forward to the build, send lots of pictures! Ah yes a good ol rust free Texas car.;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yeah the texas cars is the first one i would ever pick,i will make sure to take lots of picture,soon its goona be full bore ahead on this just waiting till weather gets a little warmer,supposedly in few days its gonna warm up and once my project starts i wont stop untill its done so there will be new pictures almost everyday.already got my new paint kit its complete from primer to clearcoat.just need to sand my baby to bare metal then prime and paint bright cobalt blue metallic.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so heres my cobalt blue paint kit i got inclures everything start to finish.its a beautiful blue color the metal flakes in it are unbelievable never seen so many flakes before,i think its gonna turn out awesome.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx ssmokin they have a special place in my heart too i think there the best looking camaros gm ever built,except for the new gen 5 love them.yeah i plan to keep the pictures and thread coming,will be taking lots of pictures along the way,hope u all enjoy my build.i will try to post here everyday.when the project gets full swing hopefully within the next few days.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so ok now for the heart of my build its a 436 small block chevytook me 2 years just to build this engine between finding a good block that could with stand the horsepower i was gonna give it and saving for all the parts but its done so in reality i been planning this build for about 5 years just took time to collect all the right pieces including my 79z28 4speed,so now on to the build,well took me better part of a year just to locate the right block and finally did,it was sonic checked in all cylindersand ech cylinder was atleast .250 thickness and most were over .300 thats some thick cylinder walls,then the block was cleaned and had eagle splayed billet caps installed and line honed.then next i got my eagle lightweight forged crank at 4.000 in. stroke,then next i found a great deal on kryptonite rods,and then ordered my custom pistons from mahel because i was looking to get 9.5:1 compression for my later twin turbos,next i made a call to crowler cams and ordered my custom cam on small base circle,it was 630 in..635 ex.lift with 1.6 scorpion roller rockers.and 245/248 duration.its a solid roller cam,also ordered my crowler lifters then.,then onto the heads were i ordered a set of rhs racing pro elite heads full cnc ported,now compcams matching springs good to .700 lift,new manley 2.08 in.1.70 ex.there 228cc heads flow awesome.now i mated that up with a team g intake and AED holley 750hp.heres some pictures hope u like them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well decided to get a like new front bumper cover the one on it needed work,this one just needs cleaned really good then scuffed with 180 then some 2k primer and its ready to assemble

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any of u guys ever ran the TKO600 by tremec,have read lots of good reviews on that tranny,this will probably be my next big purchase,was considering the t-56 but to many mods required to swap it dont likr the ides of cutting into my tunnel to make it fit.for now im just gonna run the borg warner ST-10.hope it holds up just until i can save for the TKO.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well spent the day getting the front clip all bolted back together when i got it there was only about 5 bolts holding the whole front clip together,thank good i saved all my bolts from my 80 camaro,tomarrow i will be installing the new front bumper cover then i can get everything lined up and ready for sanding to bare metal.its supposed to warm up a little tomarrow so hopefully i can work on it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
finally got to work on my car a little today,was a little warmer,got the passenger fender sanded down,has a few ripples along the top edge that im gonna need to apply filler in,sure was glad to find no big bondo repairs,LOL.also got the complete front bumper cover sanded that was a big job,needed lots of TLC,probably worse spot on whole car,when they painted it they failed to use any flex additive and had spider cracks everywhere in the paint,got them all sanded smoth and feathered,now i can apply the poly flex plastic filler to some areas that needed it,but that will be tomarrows project was to cold today to mapply any filler tomarrow will be warmer,then i can sand it all flat again,and apply my 2k primer,hopefully tomarrow if everything goes well.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thx hotrodhoodrat i appreciate it,hopefully tomarrow it will be in primer and i can move to my engine bay and prep that for paint,im gonna paint my engine bay flat black like a rat rod,should go good with my silver engine.and easier to keep clean than the body color,body color is fine for a show car but not for a drasg racer would be to hard from scratching and keeping it clean.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
made some progress today but not as much as i had hoped for didnt get very warm and took awhile for the filler to cure,and defenately not warm enough to primer,so my next chance to lay primer will be tuesday,but did get my passenger fender all ready to primer,and my front bumper cover took the longest to cure,that poly flex is good stuff and my bumper is coming out better than i had expected,so i got that all filled today,and sanded smooth and flat,just need to finish the other half tomarrow,and also would like to start prepping my engine bay for apint if everything goes well.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
thx hotrodhoodrat i appreciate it,hopefully tomarrow it will be in primer and i can move to my engine bay and prep that for paint,im gonna paint my engine bay flat black like a rat rod,should go good with my silver engine.and easier to keep clean than the body color,body color is fine for a show car but not for a drasg racer would be to hard from scratching and keeping it clean.
Yea.. I would avoid chrome as much as possible, go w/polished Alum.. its better over all and lighter in weight to steel, plus IMO much stronger !

LOL... your ahead of me, I still need to remove me side windows, got the front & rear out, then I've got to get out all of me flippen filler(s), a couple of friends here tells me I need to get started from me ground and work up to the top,
I thinks I need to find a good welder person first tho, I wanna box in the frame and I really wanna focus on the rain wells and have them removed, I wanna make my girl a smoothy and maybe shave the door-handles too but not sure yet, I'll have to wait and see if I have the funds down the road.

Keep up the great work, take yo time :D + :thumbsup::thumbsup:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thx hotrodhoodrat,yeah i dont really care for the chrome steel either,thats why i got new valve covers that are aluminum and powdercoated black crinkle they look much better,do you have a project thread here would love to see ur project,bet its sweet...
i dont have anything left that is chromed steel,all my pullies are march aluminum pullies,also all my brackets are billet aluminum,even my aircleaner will be black crinklle,really dont care for the chrome look.oh yeah i do have chrome alternator but thats it.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
No build thread yet, I might try to do one this spring, once it warms up a bit, poor 68' hasn't been out all winter, she loves the sun, or I should say the sun luvs her, she gets hot "real hot !" LOL.. I'll try to get started soon, well I know I need to power blast her to get the rattle can junk off "face-palm".
Plus I need to get started back on the 70's spoiler & her body LOL
Here's a pic of me 70's JUDGE clone: hope you like her.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i love that 70 clone judge,bet shes gonna look awesome when ur done,my first car was a 70 chevelle ss 350 loved that car had it for years,restored it but took awhile i just sold it 5 years ago when i started getting into camaros,actually that 436 sbc i built was originally gonna be for my chevelle,but some came along with the right offer and i had to sell her,shes gone but never forgotten.maybe when my z28 is finished i will do a gto clone myself.70 is my favorite year a-body.cant wait to see ur 68 i bet shes hot,love the 68 models.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
Yea.. I luved the 70's Chevelle's, mostly the RS454(HD) "those were bad A$$ in the day !"
I wanna find a 428 for the 68' (it was the biggest bock for Pontiac in 1968) and
re-transplant the 455(HD) into the 70, I'd like to make the 70' a creeper and
the 68' in to a beast, the 428 had a shorter stroke, better launch in the quarter ml vs
the 455, well at least mine, she builds more power in second gear, than first gear LOL
Yep.. me 455 is a screamer at 2400RPMs but she doesn't have the power til shes at
4200RPMs LOL, me Last Et; off the strip was back in 1984.. 12.897sec in 1/4 LOL
but on that same day 2nd Et; I broke my power steering arm when I came off the launch
after I did that, I was done, I knew I needed to rebuild my front-end, I took her home,
replaced the hole steering control box, because the arm would not come off the box,
she needed some TLC, so I decided then "she needs completely gone through", heck
I had her almost 25+yrs now, 24+years in rattle can primer, she needs painted !
Plus I thinks I'm done w/drag racing, I luved showing her off & the high of her ripping the
tread but LOL I've seen to many of my friends gut out their cars after years of running
the strip.. I think I'll enjoy her best just having fun w/her on the roads.
Sweet cars are getting hard to find.. but its getting even harder to find any 60-70'
muscle car's now days..Um why not a SS Chevelle ??
Oh.. me 68 is me avatar and that pic was in 2002-03 = - D
Have a great / awesome day !

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i thought maybe the 68 in ur avatar was the one u was talking about redoing,looks really good to me,nothing wrong with rattle can primer,wow shes held up a long time in primer.i think it looks cool that way,i wanna do a gto more than a chevelle,never had one or drove one,i have owned 3 chevells in my day,2 were ss chevelles one the 350 the other a 396ss and my brother owns an 70ss ls6 454.yeah that drag racing can really tear a car up fast,mine is mostly gonna be street drive,with a couple trips to the drag strip each year.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts