Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Camaro-IROC-Z28-1985-Camaro-IROC-Z28-Only-4-3-Miles_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1308Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem130289154362QQitemZ130289154362QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#ebayphotohosting

Expect a lot of work to go into it if you want to drive it. But wow this is a jewel.

This auction is for a 1985 Camaro IROC Z28, the first year the IROC option was offered. This car was recently liberated from 23 years of inside storage. The car has only 4.3 actual miles on the odometer. According to the original and only owner of this car, he purchased it new in 1985. The car was taken directly from the GM auto transporter and put into storage. This car was never dealer prepped, that is why all of the factory GM markings are still on the glass, mirrors and other parts of the car. The interior is still covered in the factory plastic as delivered to the dealer. The front air dam is still in it's sealed plastic wrapper along with mounting hardware in the back seat. These cars were transported without the air dam because they would get damaged coming off of the trailer. Installation would have been part of dealer prep. The rear cargo cover is in the box in the back seat, never having been installed.
Would you do it? is it worth 20K? (so far?)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I wish we had some story behind this.

We know what it is, what condition it is...but WHY?

Who bought it, and just forgot about it or stored it? WHY!?

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
It is in New Jersey maybe if its not too far ill take a look at it

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Ain't worth 10K even. The car does not appear to be stored correctly and the dry rot and corrosion you CAN'T see would worry me. This car will need a new headliner, and some other rubber bit refurbishments. If it hasn't been started in 23 years, it certainly won't be running right anyway.

Personally, take your 20K plus and plunk it down on a similarly situated 4.3 mile NEW 2010 Camaro. That's what I would do. The new Camaro would be far and away a better deal. Some other yutz can buy that and restore it, because that's what it'll need. Then you have to plunk down some more money for IROC rims...where does it end?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I don't care if it has 0 miles on it........it's 24 years old and needs a total restoration. Sure the body's in great shape, but that's it.:meh:
I agree...kinda cool, but I wouldn't pay that much for it. I could see expecting a high price if it was a GN or more of a collectors car (no offense to 3rd gen guys).

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Low mile cars are going to have issues. Here's a picture of my 87 442 that currently has 22K miles on it. It had 19K when I picked it up. Original hoses/belts/tires...cap rotor and plugs...everything but the battery, oil and gas! Needs a headliner wouldn't you know...but it gets exercised periodically and that's key I believe. Plus it's stored decently.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I think its condition might be surprising once its cleaned up. The video shows dust but the paint doesn't look bad. Its really going to depend on how well the trailer protected it for the most part. Down here I've seen cars sit for many years only to have someone buy it one day throw a battery in it and fire it right up, after all it is a chevy.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Low mile cars are going to have issues. Here's a picture of my 87 442 that currently has 22K miles on it. It had 19K when I picked it up. Original hoses/belts/tires...cap rotor and plugs...everything but the battery, oil and gas! Needs a headliner wouldn't you know...but it gets exercised periodically and that's key I believe. Plus it's stored decently.

I had a 79 cutlass. I always wanted the later 80s 442 or 83/84 hurst olds.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I had a 79 cutlass. I always wanted the later 80s 442 or 83/84 hurst olds.
Got one of those 84 Hurst/Oldses too. (actually 2 H/Os, I have a 69 Hurst/Olds as well) I had a small gathering of our cars out in the back yard late last year...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I think its condition might be surprising once its cleaned up. The video shows dust but the paint doesn't look bad. Its really going to depend on how well the trailer protected it for the most part. Down here I've seen cars sit for many years only to have someone buy it one day throw a battery in it and fire it right up, after all it is a chevy.
It would take some serious luck but if you had all the fluids flushed who knows the paint looks to be okay, I hear everyones point on the price and while I agree I would like to have been the guy who found it

·
Registered
589 Posts
as a child of the 80/90's I would buy this car if I was financially able. When I was a kid in elementry and jr high and IROC was pretty much the it car. And like someone else said, its worth what the guy who buys it pays for it. You cant put a price on nostalgia (spell check)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts