Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any information on fuel requirements for the V-8 ? The Mustang was designed for 87 Octane. Will the addition of the cold air box move the requirement up to 93 octane ?
Thanks.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
in the original specs that were released, it said "premium recommended" for the V8's....regular for the V6.

You can't compare it to the 4.6's in the mustangs...besides the fact that they are pieces of $hit, they don't rev, they have much less power and lower compression than the LS3. I'd gladly pay the extra .15 to .20 a gallon...that's only a few extra dollars a tank.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
If it's "recommended", Run premium in the car for the best performance. You should be able to run 87 octane with no problems. The ECM will just retard the timing for lower octane. If it said "required" then you know that premium is the only fuel you should use.

My G8 GT will run on 87 or 93 octane. It's only a couple dollars differnce on a fill-up so I put in the good stuff.

·
Registered
401 Posts
in the original specs that were released, it said "premium recommended" for the V8's....regular for the V6.

You can't compare it to the 4.6's in the mustangs...besides the fact that they are pieces of $hit, they don't rev, they have much less power and lower compression than the LS3. I'd gladly pay the extra .15 to .20 a gallon...that's only a few extra dollars a tank.
its recomended
which you can use 87
it just wont make the same power the computer will sense the pinging and do what it has to do to make it stop

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
As echoed above....93 is what will yield the most performance out of the LS3/L99, but if you must run 87 it won't harm your motor. It's just ironic IMO that anybody that buys a performance coupe would not want the full potential of their car on tap.:confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts