Modern Camaro Forums banner

A detailed look at GM's LS motor plans

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  slims00ls1z28 
Although turbocharging is ideal, the supercharged route is the most economical one for an OEM application. I still would prolly go for a LS3 (if available) even if the LS8 is available; unless it has an incredibly strong bottom end and wrench friendly. Im sure my mind will change in the meantime, but I like to see how smaller pulley, cam swap, and full bolt-ons will do.

S/C on a V8 OEM is much more economical. It seems opposite with the turbos as the Cobalt S/C was the first time I saw a S/C 4 banger. I'm sure the bottom end on the S/C motors will be stout. It would be a warranty nightmare for GM if it didn't. Plus in those HP ranges even N/A Hypereutectic and casts don't stand much of a chance.
Thats the optimism I need to here.

I just see performance. Turbo or supercharging is both good. I would prefer to turbocharge my car over S/C. Yes, its a little more to deal with; but its worth having the power I would have lost with a S/C (parasitic loss). Plus slinging a belt is a pain if a spare isnt available on site.

But if GM had a S/C camaro, im sure I like to find a way to convert to a turbo system. If anyone has seen turbocharged 03-04 Cobras (Hellion, HP, and other smaller builders) in action, its far better than any Kenne Bell, Whipple, ATI, or Vortech equipped Cobra. But then again its cheaper to supercharge than to use a turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.