Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just had a few questions about test/mule/camo(are these all the same in one?) cars.

When these types of cars are shot in the type of spy shots we've seen, are they to the point in their production life that the body is already set in stone or can it still change a quite a bit?

Second, and I will probably answer my own question here. There is one thing I noticed on the last spy shot we got (the one below). Do you notice how the bottom of the front comes to a point like the concept car? This kind of tells me that things still need to change. In my state, front license plates are required. There doesn't seem to be a place chopped out in the front.

And last. Like mentioned befor, it could just be the flat white paint, but the edges don't seem as sharp as the concept. Are there certain car building regulations that would require them to dull them a bit? Or is it mechanicly hard to put those type of sharp lines into the production line for hundrends of thousands of cars?

I'm sure these are easy questions for most here, but I thought I would just break down the most recent spy shots to better understand what we're seeing at this stage.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
The plate would probley be just below the upper grille. I could see it going on that car above.

The dull white paint is most likely the problem. I don't think it would be too hard for them to put sharp lines on it. They did with the last Mustang.

The car can still change a bit, but probley nothing major at this point.

The different pics are different cars, but probley about the same as one another, but with different drivetrains.

Things like the side mirrors and wheels(on some of the mules) don't really look production to me.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
mule cars are usually other cars with the Camaro powertrain or other items present for testing purposes to remain entirely under the radar. This car is a pre-production/prototype

IMO this car is 99% what the production model will end up looking like.

I'd imagine there will be a front license plate bracket available for states that require it. I haven't seen a front pocket on too many cars in a while.

I think they chose a flat white paint intentionally to better hide some details :cool:

Great questions!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Thank you for the detailed answers. I'm glad to hear that those probably aren't production mirrors and wheels. That brings up another question I had in mind. I've been following the concept mirror discussions too. It doesn't seem like we'll be seeing the concept mirrors on the production model. Again, what would keep them from doing this? Regulations? Or some other functionality purposes? I would love to see the same mirrors transfer over too.

As for the wheels, I can understand the pricing issue for the larger concept type wheels, but even if they go smaller for production, do you think we'll still see larger ones in the back regardless of the sizes they choose? I just think that's one of those things that really makes a muscle car stand out from other cars. Even if they are just hub caps, I would really like to have the concept rims as an option too. They just really seem to pull the whole car together.

Sean W

·
Registered
113 Posts
I AGREE THE TIRE AND WHEELS SHOULD STAY THE SAME SIZE AS THE CONCEPT.............. LOVE THOSE WHEELS IT MAKES THE WHOLE CAR..

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
When these types of cars are shot in the type of spy shots we've seen, are they to the point in their production life that the body is already set in stone or can it still change a quite a bit?
Almost nothing it set in stone yet.
Just about anything can change between now and production.
But the likely-hood of any major changes after this point is quite small.

Second, and I will probably answer my own question here. There is one thing I noticed on the last spy shot we got (the one below). Do you notice how the bottom of the front comes to a point like the concept car? This kind of tells me that things still need to change. In my state, front license plates are required. There doesn't seem to be a place chopped out in the front.
You're correct, there will be a place for the plate in front somehow, we just don't know how yet.
It could be a divot in the bumper, or a tacked on bracket.
Personally I'm hoping for a tacked on bracket, so as to not disturb the lines of the car.

And last. Like mentioned befor, it could just be the flat white paint, but the edges don't seem as sharp as the concept. Are there certain car building regulations that would require them to dull them a bit? Or is it mechanicly hard to put those type of sharp lines into the production line for hundrends of thousands of cars?
Yeah it is defeinitely the flat white paint.
Every character line of the concept is still present, but these cars are painted and masked up purposely to hide details.

Great questions!
I'm sure others have been wondering the same things. :)

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Hello,

Thank you for the detailed answers. I'm glad to hear that those probably aren't production mirrors and wheels. That brings up another question I had in mind. I've been following the concept mirror discussions too. It doesn't seem like we'll be seeing the concept mirrors on the production model. Again, what would keep them from doing this? Regulations? Or some other functionality purposes? I would love to see the same mirrors transfer over too.

As for the wheels, I can understand the pricing issue for the larger concept type wheels, but even if they go smaller for production, do you think we'll still see larger ones in the back regardless of the sizes they choose? I just think that's one of those things that really makes a muscle car stand out from other cars. Even if they are just hub caps, I would really like to have the concept rims as an option too. They just really seem to pull the whole car together.

Sean W
We don't know about the wheels at this point. IMO they will have the same size front and rear.

The mirrors would be to small to do you much good in concept form. I am sure there is some regulation on mirror size as well. I am hoping for something like in my sig.

Also I am hoping they have concept size and style wheels available thru GM or at least aftermarket, but I would prefer OEM.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
As far as the license plate goes, doesnt the 4th gen have a tacked on or screwed on bracket? So there isn't really an indention for it. My guess is this will be the same.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
The whole point of the mask is to hide the front end. I wouldn't trust the shape of the mask, it could have built in structure that hides the real dimensions.

I honestly hope that the wheels are the same size front to back. Vettes are different, and you cannot rotate your tires front to back like all other cars on the road. It's bothersome.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm sure they'll just put a recessed area in the front bumper to comply with FP states.

The only thing that is concerning me right now when looking at this spy shot is the rear quarter panel into the door line, you know, that shelf that tapers towards the front of the door. On that white car (could be the white hiding it) the "shelf" appears to be gone. The rear quarter panel door area merge appears to be...uh flat.

See what I'm talking about?

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
It's definitely the flat white hiding it.

Look at this picture of one of the other prototypes:

The quarter/door meet looks pronounced there just like the concept, as do the lines on the side of the car. :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, then here's an odd question. The rear window beam that's shown in the non-camo shot. Do you think there's a chance that the front window will roll up over the beam to hid it on the inside, or will it roll up with the beam shwoing on the outside. I'm hoping for the first, so that if you had the windows tinted, all you would see is glass on the outside like on the concept.

Also, it seems that the production windows will have a staight edge on the back part of them instead of a inward slant like the concept. I would prefer the more sportier slant than the production version.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Ok, then here's an odd question. The rear window beam that's shown in the non-camo shot. Do you think there's a chance that the front window will roll up over the beam to hid it on the inside, or will it roll up with the beam shwoing on the outside. I'm hoping for the first, so that if you had the windows tinted, all you would see is glass on the outside like on the concept.

Also, it seems that the production windows will have a staight edge on the back part of them instead of a inward slant like the concept. I would prefer the more sportier slant than the production version.
That beam is the B Pillar. It needed to be there for strength and to make the car lighter. It will be on the inside unlike the Mustang which is on the outside. So yes if your windows are tinted it should blend in.

Here is a thread that might explain more about the B Pillar:
http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2944&highlight=pillar

Also in the pics I think there is black tape stuck on the outside of the glass to hide it, but it makes it stand out more with the tape on it.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
The whole point of the mask is to hide the front end. I wouldn't trust the shape of the mask, it could have built in structure that hides the real dimensions.

I honestly hope that the wheels are the same size front to back. Vettes are different, and you cannot rotate your tires front to back like all other cars on the road. It's bothersome.
I agree about the mask for sure.

I'm mixed on the wheel size issue. Personally larger wheels in the back look great, but the maintenance thing can be an issue. Is the current mustang running the same size front to rear?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree about the mask for sure.

I'm mixed on the wheel size issue. Personally larger wheels in the back look great, but the maintenance thing can be an issue. Is the current mustang running the same size front to rear?
yup, no different sizes on the mustang, (Maybe save for the cobra)

GTO also had the same size rims front and rear. (Circa 04-06).

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Look at it this way(on different size wheels), when it comes time to replace the tires, just replace the rear ones, since the front will probably still be in good enough condition for a while :D.
My thoughts exactly!!!:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look at it this way(on different size wheels), when it comes time to replace the tires, just replace the rear ones, since the front will probably still be in good enough condition for a while :D.
That's exactly how it's been with my WS6. For some reason or another I always have to replace the 315s in the back a lot sooner than the standard 275s in the front. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts