Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to purchase a convertable in april of 2011. I just need a little help with the engine difference of the V8's that are offered.

First just a little background.

I bought a BMW S1000rr in the spring and managed a 9.6 sec qtr mile time in the summer. Absolutly loved it. Everytime I hoped on it was an adrenaline rush.This bike set the fastest qtr mile time far a production bike...yes faster then the busa or ZX-14 Unfortunately I was in an accident and ended up with a paralized left arm. Well now I'm in the market for a new ride and the new Camaro is the car I will be buying.

So I've been a stick shift guy all my life but unfortunatly due to my injury I'm forced to my only option of getting the automatic. Now from what I see that means less horsepower compared to the manual. Just wondering from what I can see is this a positve or a negative.

Any info u guys can give me as fars as what aftermarket parts are concerned. My goal is to get the car up to about 500 hp or as close to that as possible. I don't know if that is going to be harder or easier then with the manual. It's the LS 3 for the auto and the LS 99 is the manual only.

Anyways I still have alot of reading to do on the forum...Which isn't that bad since I have alot of time sitting in this hospital bed.

So all info is greatly appreciated...Aftermarket parts....engine,chassis,exhaust As well as good threads to read.

THANKS FROM THE ONE ARM BANDIT:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
the motors are very similar. With either one, 500hp will be obtainable with either a supercharger/turbo or a big cam and some head work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good to hear.

So at this point after I put my order in for my 2011 Camaro convertable LS3 is to add these options. So a little help is welcome. I am new to the
1)HEADERS: So far it looks like the long headers
I am thinking of American Racing or Borla
Obviously my goals are power and sound. Just don't want something where the neighbours are going to want to kill me but I def wany that beasty sound.

2)EXHAUST; So the exhaust is going to have to work in with the headers. Obviouslly the same goals as the headers.

3)GROUND EFFECTS OR BODY KIT:No idea if I should go with GM's kit or if I should go with something from the aftermarket. Thoughts and options or opinions welcome.

4)GRILL: Gm heritage grill or the bowtie(no idea where to order it but love the look.

5)WHEELS: Love the look of the Concave ones.Would love tips on where to get them or prices on them. Or other pucs or options. My Camaro is going to be black or dark grey.

That will be it for year 1. Maybe even year 2. Please any thoughts options or opinions are welcome.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
Hope you get well soon! You really want a Camaro...not a Mustang.:lol:

Welcome

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ARH full exhaust 1 7/8s no drone Heritage grill can be had from garys customs hell even paint it for you.
Is this the one I want?

2010 & Up
Header 1-7/8" x 3"
3" X pipe No/Cats CA201078N/C

Kit with ARH Mufflers and Tips $995.00
$780.00
$1,775.00
$2,650.00

So $1775.00 for the headers and mufflers....ie full exhaust is that without the catyletic convertors and $1895 with....Does getting the cats on sacrifice power?

and

What does the kit with ARH mufflers and tips add?
Just looks or power as well?
Also any pics of the ARH mufflers and tips add?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also as far as the body kit goes.

I'm really the revolution styling hood and lip but they don't sell side skirts. I'm just wondering how it would look if I bought the side skirts from a different company. Or does anyone know if revo;ution will be coming out with side skirts?
Also do I have to get the hood,lip and side skirts painted when they arrive or do they come already painted?

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
Good to hear.

So at this point after I put my order in for my 2011 Camaro convertable LS3 is to add these options. So a little help is welcome. I am new to the
Obviously my goals are power and sound. Just don't want something where the neighbours are going to want to kill me but I def wany that beasty sound.

2)EXHAUST; So the exhaust is going to have to work in with the headers. Obviouslly the same goals as the headers.

3)GROUND EFFECTS OR BODY KIT:No idea if I should go with GM's kit or if I should go with something from the aftermarket. Thoughts and options or opinions welcome.

4)GRILL: Gm heritage grill or the bowtie(no idea where to order it but love the look.

5)WHEELS: Love the look of the Concave ones.Would love tips on where to get them or prices on them. Or other pucs or options. My Camaro is going to be black or dark grey.

That will be it for year 1. Maybe even year 2. Please any thoughts options or opinions are welcome.

Cheers
We all Hope ya get well soon,
You stated earlier you wanted/needed a automatic (?), your order for the 11' vert in LS3 "its a manual"/ L99 is a Automatic, like every one said they are both great transmissions, the L99 has a manual shift of sorts on the steering-wheel. hope that helps.
Oh their are some great people & sponsors, here that will help you get all of your stuff for the vert, I'M too wanting the 2011 vert, not sure of witch M6 or A6 I'll get, I wanna wait till the special/limited editions ones come out too before I make my decision.:5go:

:bigparty:The all new Convertible !, Welcome to the Fleet !:bigparty:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
So the LS 99 is automatic only?

Is the LS 3 manual only or can u order that engine in automatic as well?
L99 is only AUTO
LS3 is only M6.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The more I'm reading (and the threads are endless) the more I'm catching on. Again slowly but surely.

So here's where I'm at:
Going with the 6.2 auto L99 black int/ext convertable
Manufacturer options
1)Rally Sport package
2)Fuel door cover
3)Body colour painted engine cover
4)cargo area floor mats
5)Premium Carpet Floor Mats w/Camaro Logo

Aftermarket parts
1)wheels/Rims-Vossen VF-061
2)Revolution front lip
3)Revolution spoiler

Now here's where I need help

Which exhaust to go with:
1)American Racing Header 1-7/8" x 3"-3" X pipe W/Cats
2)Borla headers and exhaust

Now I don't know if I need the cats or if I should go without.
Will I lose HP or the sound?
What benifit will be adding the Kit with ARH Mufflers and Tips?
Will the AHR completly complete my headers and exhaut?
Last is there a better Borla system you would recomend? After Borla is a well known name.

Last thing I will do for know is the cold air intake.
I have no idea where I should go with this....Any recomendations

Last question is how much more HP/Torque should I expect to gain and is there anything else I should do to my Camaro that won't kill my budget that u think I'm missing?

)Exhaust mufflers a)

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
So it took a while but I'm with u now.
no problem...like it's been said on here, don't feel that you are losing out by getting the L99/A6 because with the right mods and tuning, it's an animal.

to try and answer some of the questions...
you will no lose any power by going with hi-flow cats instead of no cats...if you want it LOUD, leave off the cats. If you want better noise control, get the complete ARH setup w/ cats...it's the only exhaust w/ headers, that I know of, does not drone on the highway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no problem...like it's been said on here, don't feel that you are losing out by getting the L99/A6 because with the right mods and tuning, it's an animal.

to try and answer some of the questions...
you will no lose any power by going with hi-flow cats instead of no cats...if you want it LOUD, leave off the cats. If you want better noise control, get the complete ARH setup w/ cats...it's the only exhaust w/ headers, that I know of, does not drone on the highway.
Thanks.

I'll be going with the cats that way the neighbours won't want to kill me.

Next questions.

The American Racing Header 1-7/8" x 3"-3" X pipe W/Cats
comes with the option to add the ARH mufflers and tips what is the purpose of adding the Kit with ARH Mufflers and Tips?
Just cosmetic or are there any gains in HP?
Also what are your opinions on adding these?

Last any thoughts on the Borla headers and exhaust as well any recomendations on what to go with

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
learn before you change

Before you go out and start changing things, learn the car. I have had mine since 8/2009 and I just did an airbox and tune. Long tube header will come, but no rush. This is what I did and why:

Lowering springs and swaybars (Pfadt) - Lower center of gravity / better handling
Wheels and Tires - (CCW and Nitto) 20x10 with 275/40 INVO front & 20x11 with 315/35 INVO rear - bigger contact patch better rubber less weight - - better handling
Strut Tower Brace - (Pfadt) - better steering response
Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Goodrich) - firmer brake pedal - better control of braking
Motul 600 brake fluid - high boiling point
MBRP Cat back exhaust - cool sound BUT I lost about 70 pounds
Brake Pads (HP PLUS - melted them in 3 hours) then Hawk DTC-30 (noisey and dirty BUT they STOP HARD)
Custom Brake cooling ducts - lowered front rotor temps by 150 degrees
Vararam Super Street ram air box - ram air better than a tube anyday. Also feeds on cold air from grill not heat soaked air under the hood
Harness Bar (Speedware Motorsports) and 6-point Schroth harnesses
Dyno Tune (Street and Strip versions with SCT handheld) Lean for street and littler richer for track
Frozen Rotors - custom machined slots, cryogenically frozen, then heat treated rotors (all 4 corners) - better bite on braking - more durable.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Good to hear.

Cheers
1&2) ARH complete header back exhaust is a great option! However if your on a budget, you might want to look into the Texas Speed complete header back system. the quality is just as good and you'll save $1000. since the car comes from the factory with cats, it is best to buy a system that has them as well. more and more states are getting stricter with emissions and you don't wanna get caught 10 years down the road with a car that fails an emissions test. the Borla headers and cat-back does not include cats, and as far as i know they don't have a system that does. keep in mind when you get headers, you NEED a tune to get rid of the inevitable engine light and for better performance. check out some local shops near you for what they charge. could be anywhere from $250-$500.

so in short ARH would be the #1 complete header system, and Texas Speed would be a close #2. i'm not a fan of mix and matching exhaust components, unfortunately that is what i had to deal with at the time i bought my headers because a complete system was not out yet! i personally have ARH headers with magnaflow muffler delete axle back exhaust and love the sound, but my wife hates the drone on the highway.

3) the GM ground effects are nice, but they don't offer it painted from the factory, you'd have to get you dealer to paint it for you at an extra cost... not worth the money IMO. not to bash Revolution Styling but i heard A LOT of people losing their money over parts that never made it to their door! just my 2 cents about that. the looks and the styling of the camaro needs no extra additions IMHO! especially if your going to get a convertible!

4) i personally installed the GM Heritage grille which i think is a great addition! you can get one pre-painted to match your car from CleanCutCreations for $330! and they also sell a heritage grille landing pad for the stock bowtie. what i have seen that's been pretty popular is people painting or laying vinyl over the gold part of the bowtie, i did mine in flat black to match the stripes.

5) concave wheels are really cool, but i think the only good ones for our car are the 3-piece forged kind (aka the EXPENSIVE kind) I'm kinda partial to some of the wheels TSW is putting out to fit the camaro which are 1 piece so you save some money there. the only reason to get 3-piece forged is for the track IMO!

one other thing you didn't mention is suspension, which should be on your top list of things to do as well! i have the Pfadt Sport suspension which is just drop springs and sway bars and i love the stance and the ride quality was not compromised one bit! the 3 suspension companies you should research are Pedder's, Pfadt, and BMR. those are the only 3 i would buy stuff from as far as suspension and chassis components go! pedder's can be found at www.wretchedms.com, Pfadt at www.pfadtracing.com, and BMR at www.bmrfabrication.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HOLY FAWK!!!!!

You think you have things worked out and someone comes along and completly ruins it!!!!!

That's a good way to ruin it though.

So Soinds like a change of plans.
1&2) Texas Speed full exhaust(can u blame me) $1700.00

3)Going to hold off with the Body Kit. I still plan on getting the lip and spoiler but I will hold off.

4)Grille. I'm going to hold off on the grille because I think right now I would rather do the wheels/rims and the suspension first.RedJewel2SS has made me see the light.

5)CAI. .....Going with ADM highflow race CAI....$599.00

6)Wheels/rims.This is something I def need more time on because there are so many good ones out there.So far ones I like.

a)Lexani LX-15 Black...Can anyone find a price or distributor?

b)Vossen VF-061....$6500.00 for 4 rims....A bit pricey

c)Concave wheels but I can't find a distributor or price.

d) 3-piece forged wheels....I have to do some searching but I figure everything I buy I don't want to replace because they aren't good enough for the track etc.If I don't do it the right way first time around it will cost u twice as much in the end.

7)Suspension. I figure this has to be done as one of the first things but I have to look around on RedJewel2SS advice. So I will spend around $2000 max give or take a couple hundred.

So exhaust and CDI and tune as soon as I buy the Convertable. I will drive it for a few weeks then put in the suspension upgrades so I appreciate them a bit more. This should put me around $4,600 for parts and no idea on labour.

Then I will try for the new rims/wheels the first year but they might be a second year project along with the revolutions lip /spoiler and GM Heritage grille from CleanCutCreations.

So if anyone can give me places to look for wheels and rims ( 3-piece forged wheels) or thoughts on the wheels/rims I have listed as well as good suspension packages I have listed I would appreciate it.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts