Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody work in the robotic welding area? I was wanting to know how many cars require repair welds? I was having a discussion with a co-worker. I am assuming that a properly set up operation has very few repairs that need to be made. I could be wrong.

Any input from workers at other auto factories is welcomed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I used to work on the frame assembly lines at Tower Automotive and we had 280 robots. The robot is programed to go to a point in space and weld from point a to point b. If the parts don't change the weld is going to be in the right place every time. The problems start when the tools that make the detail part wears and the part starts to "move". The fixture that holds the parts can also wear causing the parts to move. That was 12 years ago and at the time they were working on visoin for robots so it can follow the seam and never be off location. Bottom line is the inspectors which today is everybody on the line. I would say they see very few defective welds in the new factories.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They can send me a pm then.

I work for an auto manufacturer. We make weld repairs on 100% of the cars. I wonder if this is normal or do other manufacturers have much better robotic welder success rates.

My factory recently won the JD Power Platinum award for initial quality. We have been giving a little dig to our bosses. We tell them it is because our cars are "hand crafted." :lol: We do many processes by hand that other factories have robots do.

·
Registered
62 Posts
From my experience working in the industry for almost 30 years, It starts with the robotics techs that you have, If they program it it right, make sure that the pressure and heat and hold down times are correct you get a nice weld. (Spot Welds) As for the MIG welding that requires cleans tips and the correct volts and wire speed and you will get a good weld. The other factor is how the assemblies are set up in the Jigs and that they are clamped down correctly. There are many variables that determine the over all quality of a welded assembly. If it's not correct the repair people will raise hell and then it will get fixed.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
They can send me a pm then.

I work for an auto manufacturer. We make weld repairs on 100% of the cars. I wonder if this is normal or do other manufacturers have much better robotic welder success rates.

My factory recently won the JD Power Platinum award for initial quality. We have been giving a little dig to our bosses. We tell them it is because our cars are "hand crafted." :lol: We do many processes by hand that other factories have robots do.
With a stat like that, there may need to be some things looked at in your facility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts