Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The G8 GT A6 has three modes:

Regular -normal Drive gear selection and behavior

Sport - Move the shifter over to the right and the shifting is made a little aggressive

DSC- while sport mode you can shift the gears up or down yourself.

From my understanding from what I've read on some G8 forums that sport mode and normal mode can be tuned separately, so tuners leave the normal mode the same, but tuning for the sport mode is set for kill.

For people in the know or have driven one, how much do they differ? Can the shift modes be actually individually tuned?

If so, it has me actually think about the A6 in the Camaro. I have a good feeling we will get the same tranny options as the G8 except with maybe some little goodies like no-lift shift for the M6 and paddles in the A6.

If the shift modes can be tuned independent that sound more appealing.

Discuss?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The other question is, will the DSC mode actually hold the gear you tell it to, or will upshift at redline or in the middle of a curve?

And there is still one fundemental problem with the A6.....the lack of a clutch!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The other question is, will the DSC mode actually hold the gear you tell it to, or will upshift at redline or in the middle of a curve?

And there is still one fundemental problem with the A6.....the lack of a clutch!
I agree. I'm not buying my Camaro to rat race on the streets or chase cones, I'm buyin it to drive and enjoy...and that means I need a manual trans.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I'm taking a different approach !!!!! its going to be my daily but for once there will be a daily driven vehicle in my household thats an automatic.
yeah sticks are FUNNNNNNNNNNN but after my last run in with owning a stick changing out clutches got old. I drive in Traffic a lot and that crap gets old as well.

I dont want a high compression race car either I had that once and with Fuel like it is today im keeping that in mind ........ I just want something that can put the power to the pavement something fun and something that wont tire me out after work when driving home. I got other toys for shifting lol

I like to put it like this...... there are A few idiots such as me who live to accept a good race from a mustang every once in a while on the way home lol I dont look for them and they dont happen often but when they do I may tend to accept the offer. All things being equal an automatic car with a decent torque converter and good rearend will run off and hide from a stick. Usually be a pretty good amount. MODERN computer controlled automatics will always shift at the exact same rpm every run and will never miss a shift.

But hey when I want to go slamming some gears I got a manual waiting for me in the Garage lol

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
In the G8, the sport or DSC modes on the A6 will definitely rev match just like you would hold your revs with a manual trans, so the performance factor is definitely there.

I suspect Camaro will be set up the same way.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
lets see its 11:19pm in Texas and we have

126 days 12h 40m 25s

Thanks Tim for that ticker in your Sig :lol:

I got it on my desktop at work hahahahaha

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the G8, the sport or DSC modes on the A6 will definitely rev match just like you would hold your revs with a manual trans, so the performance factor is definitely there.

I suspect Camaro will be set up the same way.
But I wonder if the type of tuning ive heard about is true. If so, no more shift kits and aftermarket torque converters. If its true, the A6 can be tuned for Normal: comfort and ease, and Sport: track aggression with no excuses.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
As much trouble as it is, when trying to enjoy a nice drink (soda/pop/coke, of course), or talk on the cell phone (which I try not to, but it happens), I still want that stick in my hand, and the full control of which gear I'm in at any instant. Nothing compares to like rowing through the gears for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts