Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2014 LS 3.6L LLT and I wanted to buy some new ignition coils and haven't been able to find any from big name brands like MSD or Mallory but I did find some Accel and Granatelli ones on AmericanMuscle and wanted to know which ones I should get or if I should get a different brand entirely. The Accel ones are about $200 cheaper than the Gt ones but there are more reviews on them and I can find people saying positive things ab them online but I can't find anything ab the Gt ones. Can someone help plz?

· Super Moderator
64 Posts
You won't get any more performance from either one of those coils if you're stock, especially the Accel ones. If you look at the Accel specs, they don't tell you what the voltage output is. All you get is; Enhances Ignition Spark Energy. That usually means they're not much better than the factory ones. 40,000 volts average.

The Granatelli specs do indicate 80,000 Maximum Voltage, and they are expensive.

Here is what you need to understand about the Camaro's V6 power output; It is higher than any other vehicle with the same engine and ECU configuration, EVEN Cadillac. That would be the TUNE in the ECU. That is why tuning a stock N/A V6 Camaro nets very small gains. IF you are tuned, have Headers, cold air intake, boost, then yes, they would help. I would not buy them with just an intake and no tune. Even then, you won't see any justifiable gains for the cost, especially the Granatellis at just over $100 each, and the Acells at $80 each.

Now, I would say, if you are burning oil, then they would help keep the effected plug(s) from fouling out, and help with cold starts with oil that has leaked into the effected cylinders to burn off quicker. Mine has leaking valve stem seals, and I do burn oil, and have rough cold starts. The car runs fine, and I blow no smoke, but you can smell it. The Granatelli ones would help a lot with that. However, I have mottled through with OEM, with over 307,000 miles on the car, AND it's an LLT engine.

I put coil packs on mine from a 3K mile LFX motor, and it's been fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts