Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to upgrade the exhaust on Natasha and I'm really considering Flowmaster's American Thunder cat-back. Anyone have this system or recommend it? Any info good or bad is appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Shawn Youtube is full of video's that consist of what you are speaking of. I know of one 2010 Camaro that I have heard in person that sounded good with the Traditional 40 series on it.

Imo if I were peicing together a exhaust and didnt want to use headers then I would get an X pipe and add two 40 series flowmasters.

Flowmaster may even have a Catback system with an xpipe and two 40 series. I think the video below is the system they have for the New Camaro.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm throw in some headers with this video and she will growl at ya lol

Give them a call and tell them what you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oda32RYk50

btw keep in mind of the Crap sound the L99 with give with the cylinder deactivation ( thats if you have a L99 automatic ) otherwise have fun.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shawn Youtube is full of video's that consist of what you are speaking of. I know of one 2010 Camaro that I have heard in person that sounded good with the Traditional 40 series on it.

Imo if I were peicing together a exhaust and didnt want to use headers then I would get an X pipe and add two 40 series flowmasters.

Flowmaster may even have a Catback system with an xpipe and two 40 series. I think the video below is the system they have for the New Camaro.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm throw in some headers with this video and she will growl at ya lol

Give them a call and tell them what you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oda32RYk50

btw keep in mind of the Crap sound the L99 with give with the cylinder deactivation ( thats if you have a L99 automatic ) otherwise have fun.
I do have the automatic...is the sound you're talking about kind of like a small backfire at start up?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Keep in mind the 40 series will give you a good bit of interior drone. I feel like my ears are bleeding after sitting at 1900 rpms for while.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still really dig the GMPP axle back, but there are more aggerssive exhaust systems out there, on the M6 the only drone is at low rmps in 6th. Here is mine on the dyno, wheel spin makes alot of noise on that thing and sometimes the vid is quirky: http://www.cheersbitch.com/Dyno.html
clicked on the link, but the video doesn't play for me...I'm really leaning more towards a cat-back system anyway, thanx for the info though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
clicked on the link, but the video doesn't play for me...I'm really leaning more towards a cat-back system anyway, thanx for the info though :thumbsup:
Sorry bout that, it plays fine on my comp at home, and makes me press play multiple times here at work. I wish I knew more about designing web sites and vid xfer rates, but hell I can barely spell things right half of the time.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I do have the automatic...is the sound you're talking about kind of like a small backfire at start up?
The l99 AKA AUTOMATIC has AFM which drops cylinders for gas saving at a certain RPM when this happens it makes the car sound like a 6 cylinder.
You dont notice this with the stock exhaust due to the amount of resonators and the large suit case looking thing below your car.

IF you want to get an aftermarket exhaust and not hear this as much go with the Solo exhaust. If you want flowmaster , borla , Corsa and ETC then you need to turn off your AFM through a Tune ( which will void your warranty )

Yes I know good old AFM BS.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The l99 AKA AUTOMATIC has AFM which drops cylinders for gas saving at a certain RPM when this happens it makes the car sound like a 6 cylinder.
You dont notice this with the stock exhaust due to the amount of resonators and the large suit case looking thing below your car.

IF you want to get an aftermarket exhaust and not hear this as much go with the Solo exhaust. If you want flowmaster , borla , Corsa and ETC then you need to turn off your AFM through a Tune ( which will void your warranty )

Yes I know good old AFM BS.
thanx for the info, I wasn't aware of this problem with the automatic. I checked out Solo's website and it doesn't look like they have a cat-back kit for this car. Do you know where I can find one or check out some sound clips for this type of system?

Also, do you have any idea why I'm hearing that popping sound at start up with the factory exhaust? I thought it was just something wrong with my car, but the one in the video clip for flowmaster does it too. The dealer says there's nothing wrong with it, but I just don't think it should sound this way. It doesn't happen every time I start it up, but 90% of the time it happens...kind of embarassing having your brand new car backfire at start up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts