Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were considering buying an SUV (mostly me.) I want something that has more room, I've got a Mustang and she has a beetle, grocery shopping is a pain and good luck if we need to fit more than 2 people in the cars.

Either way, I was wondering why you guys' opinions are on the HHR. I found one close by, a 2006 with 48,000 miles for $8,500. I scouted around the local dealers and all of the other HHRs I can find are around $12,000+ for the same or less mileage.

So any opinions are welcome, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
i have a few friends that own them and love them. lots of cargo space, room for passengers, great gas mileage, and all around great cars. if i could afford a new daily driver, the HHR is what i would want.

·
Registered
486 Posts
~Cracks fingers~

06's do not have dome lights that can be turned on with a switch, unlike every other car. You must open the door to turn on the interior lights. It does how ever have map lights in the rear view that can be turned on.

06's are notorious for squeaky front strut mounts and front sway bar end-links, in cold weather. Mine have been replaced twice. Some VERY early 06's, 05 build dates, have leaks around a gasket in the firewall on the passenger side of the car. You can have a pound on the passenger side floor. Most were recalled, and fixed.

The HHR shares a LOT of parts with the cobalt. My HHR is lowered on Cobalt SS springs. ;)

I would also check the rear quarters for sandblasting...from not having running boards. Mad flaps help, but do not fix the problem. Some 06's have a plastic peice installed to counter this debris that is flung up by the front tires onto the rear fenders. GM will repaint the car, once, and advise you to purchase running boards. So if the HHR your looking at has that. Ask the dealer about it. There is a TSB on it.

I love my HHR, and it has treated me well. It makes a great daily driver. I get around 30mpg, but mine is a 5 speed. The stock tires are OK, at best, in the snow. If you live in a snowy climate you might want to purchase some snow tires or new all sessions.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
What about the chevy avalanche?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm mostly looking at price moreso than style. At $8500 I can pay cash and be done with it.

But also I'm just not that big a fan of the Avalanche.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
Did you read the original post? :lol:
Yes i did... i just wanted to throw him out that option my mother had an avalanche and she loved it for groceries and that stuff

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Well we used to own a 2007 Caliber and it was a really practical car. We moved in a Dining Room Table and 4 chairs in it with the seats folded own. Everything we needed to move it took in with ease. I'm sure the HHR is better, because it has about 10 more cubic feet of cargo room. I think it's a good choice.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I bought a 2008 LT with all the options for my wife last year. She runs a Tupperware business, does the shopping and all that stuff. It's a great all around vehicle for a daily driver, soccer mom runner, or small business hauler. We haven't had one problem with it even though she's fairly rough on it with all the stuff she carries and her "gotta be there yesterday" attitude. :D

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
i got a friend who uses hers for transporting Whippet show dogs... she loves that the back portion has the plastic covering. easy mess clean-up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
MMMM not to get off topic but would you consider a Colorado? or GMC Canyon? as an alternative?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My wife hates trucks. I'm trying to get something that would satisfy the both of us. Also something no more than $8,000 that way I can just pay cash and be done with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HHR is a great vehicle. 30+ highway MPG, lots of options offered and their engines are very reliable and tough. When you lay the back seats down there is plenty of room for hauling and with them up it's like having a mini station wagon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own a flooring business and I am getting a HHR panel to haul around samples on sales calls. White so I can get it vinyl wrapped. I sold my 2001 Z06 and bought a 2002 Avalanche and loved it. It drives like a car not a truck and it is very versatile. You would probably like the fuel economy on the HHR over the full size Avalanche.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My daughter has an 06 loaded and loves it. She has never had a problem with it. My wife has an 08 and loves it as well. We have never had a problem with it and it does ride nice at highway speeds. The cabin is just a little small for my liking. Overall for a low price ever day car with low maintenance you can't beat it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts