Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one go about getting into it?

I just graduated from school with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I love design work, I love cars and I love making more power and going fast. There really isnt a degree program for automotive engineers, but I want to get into it.

What do I need to do? How do ya'll get parts made (esp the body parts like the spoilers and other parts)? This is just an aspect of my hobby that I am VERY interested in and really want to know more about.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Get a job working for an aftermarket auto parts company. That will give you a ton of experience in how those companies work. Also, did you do Formula SAE while you were in college?

If you didn't, you're already at a severe disadvantage compared to graduates who were in FSAE while they were in college. Most companies that are hiring ME's for automotive design and engineering will only look at resumes of graduates with FSAE experience.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
****... I will definately get in it when I go back for Graduate school then
Depends on what you're looking to work on. If insane off-roading is what you like, then Baja is a good thing to have. But if you're more into the more typical aftermarket stuff like street cars and what not, then Formula would serve you better.

You can build anything you want to in Formula as long as it meets the requisite rules. Western Washington built a 554cc V8 that used Hyabusa heads to make about 100hp at 22500rpms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts