Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im hoping u guys will respond tot his sooner then TGO because i need advice

The CAm thrust plate bolts just snapped into the block.

I want to drill and tap them ( ideas/thoughts)

I NEED the car running by next week. and i cant afford to pull the motor for a machine shop

now since i was doing a cam swap i got plenty of room for a drill etc

and i need advice and opinion urgently, i was planning on having the intake installed today, i guess i was wrong! lol

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Oh man sorry to hear that.

Be very carefull drilling on that.

I broke a valve cover bolt in my head 3 weeks ago. A freind of mine said he could get it out by drilling it. Well the drill bit was going in strait then it just broke. After working for a few hours to get the bit out I decided just to take it to the machine shop. Turns out the reason it broke was because when the bit went in it went strait for about 1/4" then it turned to the softer metal and bent the bit and thats why it broke. Turns out it drilled thru the original threads and messed them up. It took me a week to get it back from the machine shop, they had all kinds of trouble with it because of the drill.

I don't know what to tell you to get it but be carefull so you don't get in the mess I got into.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, the thing is there so small i dont think i can get a helicoil on one

cant i buy a drill bit to ez it out?

·
5,668 Posts
I don't know, I don't have any other experience getting one out. Thats why I let my freind work on mine:D. Good luck, I hope all goes well with it.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I'd get an EZ out on it. Should be able to back it out without having to drill. Most Autozones sell them and They work pretty good. I've removed water pump and exhaust manifold bolts with them before.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, im at work(on break), and one of my buddys happened to have a extractor set and a reverse drill bit, and a cordless drill!

So, im gonna borrow that from him and hope that i can get those things out easily. Good thing i work At a dealership as a intern tech. Other wise i wouldnt have been so lucky to have 4 people with 70k in tools :D!

One other question though, i was curious as to if there was a gm database for the size of the bolt, because of the length of the bolt it may not be able to help me get a new one. Im sure i could go over to my gm building in parts and find out but i bothered them alot yesterday for a ball washer ( think that was the name) for the rocker arm lol. And id prefer not to irritate them further, although i will tomorow if u guys dont know one, or hopefully the bolt will come out easy enough that itll not be killed and i can just go match it.

Either way, thanks a bunch guys as u have responded alot faster then TGO and helped me calm down a bit after freaking out lol!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... well i just tryed the extractor, no go it wouldnt bite and chopped a little material out

so now, im up for new ideas, i even tryed the drill bitbut it wouldnt go in straight

/sighhh

·
5,668 Posts
sorry to hear that. Give your local machine shop a call and ask them what they would suggest.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, i got the bolts out without hurting the threads, i pbed them really good and upon the advice of a friend used a center punch to break them loose and turned them rest with a pick

im back in buisness! lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also have another question, as again TGO is slow to respond

Ive heard stock heads are good for .480 lift before they kill the valve seals ( i dont care at this point)

the exhaust lift on the cam is .510 will i run into clearance issues for the piston?

If so i could wait another week and put valve springs on it but, id prefer to just run it stock for now

P.S The timing cover is on, new oil pan gasket with a butload of rtv ( want it to seal) its a felpro POS

·
5,668 Posts
This is a 3rd gen right? if so I have no idea. on my LS1 I was good without flycutting with a .598 cam but valvetrain was upgraded.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah its a l98, but its with stock springs and valve train besides new cam and lifters

A LS motor i believe has alot higher lift, im not sure though

But, do u think .480- .510 would cause valve to piston interferance?

as i said before itll just kill the valve seal and make it puff some oil on start up /shrug

·
5,668 Posts
I broke another bolt on mine the other day:BangHead: I overtorqued it. I didn't reallize I was torqing a smaller bolt. I forgot the two rear oil pan bolts got about half the torque as the rest.:BangHead:

Great to see your project is moving along.:gr_patriot:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts