Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, when I went to test out the G8 a while back, I noticed that there was an annoying Airbag status light that stays on if there isn't a passenger in the right front seat. Will the Camaro have such a warning light or not? Just wondering. Thanks!

MIKE

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Yes, the status of the passenger airbag I believe will be up above on the headliner.
Since the inclusion of auto-turn-off passenger airbags, the status light for it is required by federal law.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew it would be in there, but I had to ask.

So I went back and looked at the post from OctaneZ28 about the Camaro driver's seat pic and you can plainly see the airbag light up there in the center headliner. I guess it won't be too bad. Usually, most people who have gotten annoyed by the light just cover it up or take it out completely.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I knew it would be in there, but I had to ask.

So I went back and looked at the post from OctaneZ28 about the Camaro driver's seat pic and you can plainly see the airbag light up there in the center headliner. I guess it won't be too bad. Usually, most people who have gotten annoyed by the light just cover it up or take it out completely.
lol i just looked at that thread and thought of the same thing!

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Can somebody please en'lighten' me as to why you would even need a light to warn of a disabled airbag for an empty seat? I'm assuming the light goes out when a passenger above the minimum weight sits in the seat and enables the airbag.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
It's more like an ON/OFF indicator.
Showing small amber "ON" or "OFF" on a small display.

Crappy picture of one from an Impala:
I'm not one to argue with engineers posessing major credentials, but it seems redundant to tell you the air bag is 'ON'. If it's an out of the ordinary situation, like a malfunction, I could understand the MIL.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Airbags should always be "ON". If its turned off by user or not enought weighti n the seat or whatever else might trigger it, then the light should come on to alert you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the Solstice forum, I liked the speed gauge in the place of the airbag notification light. Clever!

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
They can't be on if you have a child seat in the front seat (which is possible on 2 seat cars and trucks).
On those specific vehicles isn't there a keyed switch in the dash? If so, the idea remains the same....warning light displayed only when it is in any state other than normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The light really isn't a problem. At least if it is mounted in a decent location. I can see how the solstice location would be annoying. Here is the location in the Mustang. I dont notice it at all now. (It is the blank spot to the right of the hazard switch.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts