Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
:huh::poke::wtf:
I'll bite. Before these sort of car forums became popular I spent a lot of time hanging out in newsgroups like alt.autos.camaro.firebird. As to the thread title, people who wanted to gripe about the existence of another newsgroup created a new one with the same name plus ".die.die.die" at the end and a silly charter explaining its purpose. A very recognizable one is:
alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die
With a charter that goes like this:
The Earth is under attack.

The demon lord B'harne, servant of the malevolent alien High Magus of Lyra, has commenced his assault on the human race. Under the benevolent guise of the children's television host Barney the Dinosaur, B'harne seeks to destroy the minds of children and adults and bind them to his tyrranical will. Once he has made mindless slaves of humanity, B'harne will rule the Earth with an iron talon.

There are those who oppose B'harne. Drawn together by mysterious forces, mad scientists and sorcerors, warriors, scholars and surrealists have banded together into a fighting force capable of standing against B'harne's power and the power of his masters. With the mystic blade of the Barney-Slayer leading the way, these warriors fight a neverending battle against the forces of Evil and Stupidity.

They are the Jihad to Destroy Barney the Purple Dinosaur.
USENET was created in 1980 by students at Duke and became very popular during the late 80s and on through the 90s. It pretty much fell into obscurity after Google acquired DejaNews, the only complete archive of USENET (including posts where Linus Torvalds was discussing his new OS project, for example). Google eventually removed the separate newsgroup search function in favor of rolling it into general Google content.

A lot of ISPs still host newsgroups (I know Knology does on the East coast), but Comcast dropped support for newsgroups around 2004.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I remember BBS's where I'd log into local BBS's and play online DOS games against other locals. You could only play once a day for a couple of turns. My favorite was BRE -- Barren Realms Elite. There was another one where you were some sort of medieval rogue who battled all sorts of stuff while plundering for gold and gems. This was back in the early-mid 90's.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember BBS's where I'd log into local BBS's and play online DOS games against other locals. You could only play once a day for a couple of turns. My favorite was BRE -- Barren Realms Elite. There was another one where you were some sort of medieval rogue who battled all sorts of stuff while plundering for gold and gems. This was back in the early-mid 90's.
In the early 90s there were still software companies that would only distribute software patches on their BBS! The WWW sure changed that in a hurry.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got lots of MUDD on my face :lol:

There is a monster in front of you. What do you want to do:

1 Attack
2 Run
3 Pray
That looks even more primitive than Zork! I played a few DikuMUDs in the early 90s. At one time there could be over 150 people from around the world on one server slaying rats, orcs, dragons, other players, what have you. These sorts of games flunked many a student out of college back in the day. One of the original authors of the source code had an awesome name, Sebastian Hammer. :)

Believe it or not these MUDs turned me off to games like WOW before they became popular. I already knew how addictive they could be.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hey I used to be the SYSOP for the Red Dragon BBS at Edwards CA back in 19....ummm 94 it was cutting edge then, but ancient now...:lol: Ran it off a wildcat BBS and OS/2 platform.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
interesting stuff. i've never heard of any of that. i thought it was primitive on the old fbody.com forums that had the setup something like this:

1. initial post
-reply 1
-reply 2
-reply 2a
-reply 3

2. another post
-reply 1

this was before php and vbulletin... remember those?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
interesting stuff. i've never heard of any of that. i thought it was primitive on the old fbody.com forums that had the setup something like this:

1. initial post
-reply 1
-reply 2
-reply 2a
-reply 3

2. another post
-reply 1

this was before php and vbulletin... remember those?
Yep, I sure do. One of the first forums I was ever on was Guitar World back in middle school. It was just like that. Oddly enough, there are still plenty that run that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts