Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now before You go insane b/c its a ricer hear me out... This thing has hp300 stock and this one here has upwards of 400hp. This only cost $2900. It's a 1996 nissan 300ZX Turbo. Theres a company, JL Motorsports, and they can up the hp to 700 for just $6,300 installed and all. I'm right on the edge of pulling the trigger and putting a little money into this baby and having a 700hp beast on my hands... a new paint job... racing seats and harnesses, new speakers, and maybe a widebody kit... (last pic) what do you think? I'm thinking after about a $15,000 investment i'm going to have a beast on my hands!

·
Registered
132 Posts
How many miles on it? How reliable do you think it's gonna be with all that HP? Daily driver or a weekend toy? Not hating on it because it's Japanese, just questioning how happy you're going to be with it down the road. And remember you'll be lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar on the mods you put into it.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
IMHO, not worth the investment.....there are several other ways to achieve high HP/TQ levels in a daily driver and maintain reliably.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know tons of guys around my area that have 240's and 300's, and most of them are boosted. I haven't heard one time that there car's are great and reliable (except the one's that just have bolt-ons). They spend more time in the shop than on the street unfortunately. No, I am NOT a hater, but this just goes to show you that you can do better with the money you have and put it into something else more reliable and achieve better end results. I'm not trying to steer you in the wrong direction because it would be awesome to have that much power, but how long do you think it will handle it?

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
For $2900 it might be a good driver......... AS IS. No more modifications (maybe a paint job). People have already pointed out the reliability issue.

It's your money and your decision. I personally like the older Nissan Zs.

·
2,774 Posts
For $2900 it might be a good driver......... AS IS. No more modifications (maybe a paint job). People have already pointed out the reliability issue.

It's your money and your decision. I personally like the older Nissan Zs.
what he said..

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
as fas as you buyin that Z.Me personally if any vechile that I'm buying and I KNOW FULL WELL that it's going to see any moderate to high levels of boost like the 700hp you're wanting and the vechile has anywehre near 90k on the odometer I'm rebuilding the engine with forged internals and low compression pistions.get the best parts you can afford and build the motor to exceed what you're going to throw at it.you want a 700hp motor build it to handle 900-1000 as insurance against any ineveitable breakage/abuse

My grand father had the Generation Z before that.I dunno if it was Twin Turbo or not since I was about 6 years old when I remember him havin it.Good Memories:D

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
300zx twin turbo is a nice reliable DD but once you start modding... the reliability goes down the ****ter but i wouldn't waste that type of money on a car unless i thought about keeping it FOREVER... anyways good DD but if you want to mod it try and keep it simple or get another car for DD

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
That 700HP won't be reliable, will probably cost an additional $15,000 in broken parts.
Any way you cut it, it's still a 13 year old car.
Looks better stock too IMHO.
:agree:

yes...you are crazy.

I say...don't do it. There are better ways to spend $15k.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Like that Monster Truck Volvo. with the other 5K for 28 inch rims. :lol:
:yay:now your talkin:thumbsup:

we all know how safe volvo's are.;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should probably re-phrase.... Its an option available to up to 700hp... however i would not do, it most likely.... I was more looking for your opinion on the car alone for 2900....

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I should probably re-phrase.... Its an option available to up to 700hp... however i would not do, it most likely.... I was more looking for your opinion on the car alone for 2900....
hey...it's your money. Honestly, I like those cars...but totally stock, hold the rice...it would make a nice DD.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts