Modern Camaro Forums banner

American Auto Companies are back!

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  altoid 
#1 ·
I just wanted to say that GM has finally started to build some great looking/ quality cars that can compete against the foreign autos. For years I have been waiting for the American auto companies to start producing cars that are appealing but until the last 5 years I had no choice but to buy foreign. GM started with the Cadillac line-up, they are great looking cars and the quality is there. The new CTS is outstanding in design and performance.
The Pontiac Solstace & the Saturn Sky are great looking roadsters. These are all new designs that are on par with any foreign auto. Ford has some nice designs such as the Mustang, Edge, Fusion and so on. Dodge & Chrysler also have some nice designed cars. When I saw the new Camaro I said GM better continue to produce revolutionary auto designs with building the Camaro. If this car drives as well as it looks, there is no stopping the American auto manufactures. I can't wait to trade in my foreign car for the Camero. :D

#5 ·
Yes, quality will be one the most sought after elements for me on the new camaro. I drive a mustang and find the quality horrible. Centimeter panel gaps from the factory, cheap mono-tone plactic interior that makes noises, cheap leather, lack-luster electronics, and so-on.
If the Camaro gets the quality near that of a 04-06 GTO then Im good to go. Im tired of having a car that looks like it was 5 years too late and an interior from the early 90s even though the car is a 2001.

I have high standards, and I dont think GM will let us down.:patriot:

#6 ·
Never bought any new foreigns. I only have one now a 94 tercel but I got it for like 500$ that gets 38 mpg and has working air so I'm good. But I'm loving whta I have seen the last few years with US quality increases. Alot of good looking cars out there as well.

#7 ·
I've had a mix of foreign and American. Right now my wife has a Toyota Rav4 (269 hp), and it's a great car. They really do build them with quality. But I think the American car companies are starting to see that quality is more important to consumers now, and GM has proven with Cadillac, and the new Silverado Trucks, that they are on the right path as far as that goes.

And with the new cars like Solstice, G8, Camaro, they are starting to show that they realize that cars don't have to be boring to have good sales numbers.

#8 ·
I've been mostly domestic with a $50 Toyota thrown in the mix that I drove for several months and sold for $75.

+1 on the Mustink. They look ok from a distance, once you get close and sit in them you see they also took quality all the way back into the 60s with the stamped body panels, cheap seat and such. The radio is good and the color changing guages are a neat novelty.

#9 ·
I knew a woman with a 2004 mustang convertable. Most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat in. No legroom up front..my knees were infront of the air vents..no headroom in the back(my bud and I were hunched over cause we couldn't sit up straight). It's a big car..but felt like I was riding in my old Oldsmobile.
Wait, I take that back, the oldsmobile had more legroom upfront. And you could sit up straight in the back.

#11 ·
never had foreign car to date, i prefer my 88 olds for mpg:patriot:
gets me over 30 pmg and i can go to autozone or salvage yard and get parts for $ and not have to go to specific foreign auto parts stores or dealers
car is 20 yrs. old and a hooptie, but i dont care,
i have a c5

#12 ·
American car companies have really started catching up.

It'll be tough to beat the bad reputation they have (deserved or not), but it looks like some are on the right track.

The Solstice GXP and Sky Redline are great drivers' cars as well as pretty **** good-looking and low-priced for what they offer. The pony cars are (coming) back, and the trucks have finally been getting some of their much-deserved credit lately (was talking to an imports-only friend and he'd buy a Sierra Denali to tow his race car over anything else ;)). Looks are a subjective thing on all of those, but it seems like the press has also been pretty approving of the changes in the past few years.

I'm down with all of this. Good American cars have always been quite affordable (just look at our beloved 5th-gen Camaro), and now I might actually want some.

Good times. :patriot:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.