Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a follow up to Axle plant's hopes ride on new Camaro

Souce: Business First of Buffalo - Thomas Hartley

Hope was dashed Wednesday that American Axle & Manufacturing's local axle plant could land work on the GM's new Camaro muscle car.

The company told employees that the work, instead of being assigned to Buffalo, will be done at a Mexican plant.

"I'm disappointed and disgusted," said Kevin Donovan, the United Auto Workers union's Region 9 assistant director.

"The plant worked hard to make American Axle a success which gave them the opportunity to build plants in Mexico. Now the company is taking work that we worked real hard to bring here and is putting it into Mexico," he said.

Plant officials told UAW members at meetings in the morning and afternoon where the decision was announced that American Axle will aggressively pursue other new work for the Delavan Avenue facility.

A company official at Detroit headquarters declined comment.

Donovan estimated that 130 local jobs probably would have been involved in producing components for the Camaro, which is being introduced in the 2008 model year.

The plant has about 650 to 700 hourly workers. Several hundred more are on layoff, some since early this year.

At three Western New York facilities -- Buffalo, Town of Tonawanda and Cheektowaga -- American Axle has 1,700 employees.

The modern update of the popular 1960's-era model Camaro is being assembled at General Motors Corp.'s plant in Oshawa, Ont.

Workers at GM's Powertrain plant in the Town of Tonawanda were still waiting this week to learn if they would be assigned to make the Camaro's engines.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
once again the true american muscle car is gone for ever

·
Registered
455 Posts
who cares atleast this car is going to be great quality well..i hope so...if this car was made by the usa it would be garbage!

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far this "American Icon" has no America in it...

Not off to a good start. Let's hope most of the parts are sourced in the states.
Just like when Chevy advertised the 1993 Camaro 'From the country that brought you Rock N Roll' :lol:

·
Registered
863 Posts
who cares atleast this car is going to be great quality well..i hope so...if this car was made by the usa it would be garbage!
That's a really shitty attitude...

So you're saying every car made in the US is garbage?

That would include the Camry, Altima, Honda Accord too?

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
everyone is missing the fact that its about pride, camaro is brought up in a conversation between two people they think american muscle car. It takes the whole point out of this new start, they are bringing back an american icon, its not going to be an american icon if its built in many different countries, theres no pride behind that. Gavin you have no pride when comes to your own country. You as a fifth gen. supporter should be pushing along with everyone else here to have as much of this car built in america as we want as camaro owners.

And i as an automotive tech dare you to go up to these auto workers that sweat there a** off day in and day out striving to put the american pride back in our cars and tell them that their work is garbage. you'd be in for one hell of an awakening.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
everyone is missing the fact that its about pride, camaro is brought up in a conversation between two people they think american muscle car. It takes the whole point out of this new start, they are bringing back an american icon, its not going to be an american icon if its built in many different countries, theres no pride behind that. Gavin you have no pride when comes to your own country. You as a fifth gen. supporter should be pushing along with everyone else here to have as much of this car built in america as we want as camaro owners.

And i as an automotive tech dare you to go up to these auto workers that sweat there a** off day in and day out striving to put the american pride back in our cars and tell them that their work is garbage. you'd be in for one hell of an awakening.
It isn't about pride, it's about dollars and cents, that is the bottom line with EVERY major manufacturer in the USA today.

People need to wake up from the 'BUY USA' attitude, those days are gone and will never return. Fact is there isn't one vehicle today that is 100% usa made, manuf or assembled.

Also, internet groups like this one are the MINORITY when it comes to things like the Camaro. While GM does monitor them for opinion, they are a very small voice compared to the overall target market for something like a new vehicle.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
It isn't about pride, it's about dollars and cents, that is the bottom line with EVERY major manufacturer in the USA today.

People need to wake up from the 'BUY USA' attitude, those days are gone and will never return. Fact is there isn't one vehicle today that is 100% usa made, manuf or assembled.

Also, internet groups like this one are the MINORITY when it comes to things like the Camaro. While GM does monitor them for opinion, they are a very small voice compared to the overall target market for something like a new vehicle.
Im sorry that u feel that way, that u believe we the consumer, don't have a voice in the products we buy. we might be the minority but we still have a voice.

Yes i have a buy american attitude, everychance i get the products i buy come with a made in america stamp, i have pride in my country.everyone should hate how our jobs are being sent over seas and everytime you buy an overseas you are supporting the idea cheaper labor movement.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
so when i buy something its going to be made as much in america as it can. and ifs its not enough when i buy it, ill buy the stuff to make it more american, and that means when i buy the new camaro ill pull the mexican made axles and replace them with american made ones, cause attitudes like that keep pay checks coming to hard working americans.

·
Registered
863 Posts
To a certain extent I agree with OverAnxious...Made In America isn't the ONLY consideration as a consumer.

First and foremost I want the best price. Also, we don't have a limitless labor supply here. We have 5% unemployment, which is very low in general terms....Germany is at 10% right now, for example. There are some jobs we need to send to other countries, like making tires or Nikes. That frees our labor up for more skilled, higher paying things.

And its not even really about the Camaro being built here or not just because it should be American. I own a Nissan that was built here too....so wether the brand is originally "american" or not doesn't really matter, all these corps are global now anyway.

Its just disappointing such an "american" icon isn't going to be very American. Its only a little less bad than if the Corvette were made in Mexico, IMO.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That's a really shitty attitude...

So you're saying every car made in the US is garbage?

That would include the Camry, Altima, Honda Accord too?
i wasint really getting at were there built but originated from cause a honda built in usa is the same built in canada etc. but i was getting at japanese cars are built a hell of alor better then american cars...i luv american cars but the fact is the quality isint there.... a civic feels alot more solid and smooth then any american vehicles in that class like cobalt,neon,focus,etc .... but lately i herd cobalt ss is just as good as acura rsx i hope that is true cause that would be sweet...im a chevy kinda person and for 2007 they better step it up!

im kinda glade this camaro will be built right maybe some people will have a change of mind and buy one:)

·
Registered
861 Posts
people want the bang per buck bottom line if they want an affordable camaro they will have to deal with the fact the camaro must be built other places because of the cost of labor in the u.s. because of unions and we as americans feel the we deserve more!

·
Registered
4 Posts
As I know, LSX engines have been made in Toluca, Mexico.

Check your PC's componets, and see how many countries are involved on...

Came on, Camaro will have Jappanese stereo, Mexican engine/axle, transmision from germany, seats from USA, hand of work from Canada, and so many things from a lot of diferents countries like Taiwan.

But it was developed in Detroit and is, and will be forever, an American Muscle Car.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Ideally, yes, the Camaro should be 100% American made and very affordable. Unfortunately, those two things are often mutually exclusive in the US manufacturing climate. It's a very patriotic thought but in the current global market it's just not feasible anymore. I'm sure the execs and marketing personnel at GM have weighed patriotism and manufacturing costs. There are going to be compromises, there always are.

It is a huge problem. Of course you want to support blue-collar American workers and their families. On the other hand, aside from very recent improvments, quality control and morale have been in the toilet for a couple decades now. And on top of that, UAW was screaming for better pay constantly. If you ran a company and had a bunch of workers who "showed up for work", built inferior products and demanded better pay, would you keep them around? Admit it, being a die hard GM fan through the 80's and 90's was very tough. I am contantly on the defensive about them. Domestic car makers earned that bad reputation though. It's an unwelcome reality.

Perhaps if the car is hugely popular, GM can find a way to use more and more American manufacturers with the same profit margin since the volumes offset the cost.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Nissan, Toyota, Honda and Hundai all seem to be able to build cars in the US that have good quality.

But none of them are unionized...hmmmm.....

Actually you guys need to check out the recend JD Powers reports..Chevy topped Toyota in initial quality. Cadillac is kicking butt....the quality is there, it is the REPUTATION for quality that is not there.

I think unions are a huge drain on the economy and actually cost more jobs than they save. If you are a corporation and your choice is overpriced US labor vs. Mexican, you're going to be more likely to send work to Mexico. If the US work was more affordable, perhaps they'd keep the jobs here.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Nissan, Toyota, Honda and Hundai all seem to be able to build cars in the US that have good quality.

But none of them are unionized...hmmmm.....

Actually you guys need to check out the recend JD Powers reports..Chevy topped Toyota in initial quality. Cadillac is kicking butt....the quality is there, it is the REPUTATION for quality that is not there.

I think unions are a huge drain on the economy and actually cost more jobs than they save. If you are a corporation and your choice is overpriced US labor vs. Mexican, you're going to be more likely to send work to Mexico. If the US work was more affordable, perhaps they'd keep the jobs here.
Absolutely dead nuts on every point. Unions were a great and necessary thing back during the industrialization of our country. Workers were being totally exploited by plant owners. The rich were truely getting richer while the factory workers were forced into longer hours in order to keep jobs.
It's totally the opposite now. Unions have had this country by the balls, supported by politicians. Car makers made moderate progress despite those obstacles. Now we see the import companies thriving on privatized, non-union, American work. What more proof do we need?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts