Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last oil change was October of 2010. It has gone 6500 miles since then. I mentally lost track of when I last changed the oil until I got my OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics Report in my email. It showed that the oil life was at 0% because it said the oil life system hadn't been reset in more than a year.

I would think my DIC would have notified me of this. It still says there is 41% left remaining life.

Has anybody been notified by their DIC that the oil needed changed based on being more than a year elapsed since their last oil reset? Seems that if the emailed Diagnostics Report report knew it, the car would too!

BTW, an oil change is in the very near future!!

Larry

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Ask the dealer.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
What should he ask the dealer? [URL="
[/URL]

The DIC will not tell you that a year has elapsed since your last oil change because it doesn't deal with or record dates and times. So it is up to the owner to remember that a year has passed or like in your case...OnStar can remind you.

I have four vehicles now so none of them are getting enough mileage to require oil changing at regular intervals. I had to start a new routine in which I get the oil changed when a new inspection is required on each car/van and that way I don't forget. [URL="
[/URL]

·
ユキヒョウ
1,442 Posts
I haven't looked in the owners manual recently, but I do remember reading something to the effect, even if there is time on the oil life monitor, you should change it at least once a yr.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
What should he ask the dealer? [URL="
[/URL]

The DIC will not tell you that a year has elapsed since your last oil change because it doesn't deal with or record dates and times. So it is up to the owner to remember that a year has passed or like in your case...OnStar can remind you.

I have four vehicles now so none of them are getting enough mileage to require oil changing at regular intervals. I had to start a new routine in which I get the oil changed when a new inspection is required on each car/van and that way I don't forget. [URL="
[/URL]
Same thing here for mine, I change it during the Anniversary month!

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Sorry....I drive mine too much to ever need to worry about that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a question: The manual says in order to reset the engine oil life system you need to: Turn on the ignition (with engine off).

2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal three times within five seconds.

But I just used the DIC to reset this. And Onstar says I now have 96% life so it did reset. I'm just wondering if I need to do the other procedure or what the difference is and why the DIC reset is not mentioned...

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
I have a question: The manual says in order to reset the engine oil life system you need to: Turn on the ignition (with engine off).

2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal three times within five seconds.

But I just used the DIC to reset this. And Onstar says I now have 96% life so it did reset. I'm just wondering if I need to do the other procedure or what the difference is and why the DIC reset is not mentioned...
My owner's manual mentions both ways but in two different sections. Using the SET button on the DIC is explained in the "Instrument and Controls" section and the other method is detailed in the "Vehicle Care" section.

·
Registered
58 Posts
change oil every 3k miles or 3 months which ever comes 1st i use the 15k mile mobil 1 in daisy mae and still stick to this ive had a lot of cars performance and family cars and have never worn an engine out i talked to a caddy dealer about the v6 engine and even though the manual says every 5k miles he told me that the caddies were breaking timing chains and the people who changed every 3 k miles have not had this happen

·
Registered
31 Posts
The oil 'monitoring' system is a joke. Its a glorified mileage based reminder........the same thing most modern cars have. Its one more thing your car does for us uneducated lazy car folk. By uneducated, I mean those who basically know how to put the key in the hole and turn......and how to put gas in the other. We have cars that tell us where to turn, that someone is behind us, passing us. Parallel parks for us, tells us our tires are low, our tank is near empty........and..........its time to change the oil. Sorry for the rant folks......but, we, as a human race, have really got to tune out of the tv, smart phone and i-pad and tune in to reallity.
What I'm saying is, no oil monitoring system can analize your oil life, only suggested mileage for the next change. But if you dont reset them, things get all messed up. Its sooooo much easier to put a little sticker in the upper left hand corner of your windshield that says 'next oil change xx,xxx miles.'
Thank you, and good night. :D

·
3,081 Posts
The oil 'monitoring' system is a joke. Its a glorified mileage based reminder........the same thing most modern cars have. Its one more thing your car does for us uneducated lazy car folk. By uneducated, I mean those who basically know how to put the key in the hole and turn......and how to put gas in the other. We have cars that tell us where to turn, that someone is behind us, passing us. Parallel parks for us, tells us our tires are low, our tank is near empty........and..........its time to change the oil. Sorry for the rant folks......but, we, as a human race, have really got to tune out of the tv, smart phone and i-pad and tune in to reallity.
What I'm saying is, no oil monitoring system can analize your oil life, only suggested mileage for the next change. But if you dont reset them, things get all messed up. Its sooooo much easier to put a little sticker in the upper left hand corner of your windshield that says 'next oil change xx,xxx miles.'
Thank you, and good night. :D
Well said...I agree.:thumbsup:

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Well, as long as you know the electronic reminder is just that, a reminder, then I'd rather have that come on when it needs to, then to have some ugly sticker in my windshield that advertises oil or a stealership, that I have to see every day.

Plus, if you change your own oil, where do you get the sticker? :)

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Well, as long as you know the electronic reminder is just that, a reminder, then I'd rather have that come on when it needs to, then to have some ugly sticker in my windshield that advertises oil or a stealership, that I have to see every day.

Plus, if you change your own oil, where do you get the sticker? :)
Great question. I have dropped my own oil for decades. Recently read it described somewhere as "bonding" time between the driver and car (in addition to exterior maintenance). Might sound odd, but getting my hands dirty and crawling under the car keeps me aware of any potential leaks, potential rust, and a variety of other factors. Takes a little time and can be a PITA to recycle the oil and filters, but I know exactly what goes in the car and can see the condition of the old coming out.

Came across inexpensive reminder static stickers by my oil of choice, but you can also buy window decal sheets at office supply stores and personalize/print them off yourself using a common ink jet. Oil Change Reminder Decals

There is also a place in most owners manuals to write down your own maintenance/services completed on the car to avoid the stickers. Could also be used to jot down dates and descriptions of mods made. :D Nothing wrong with using the electronic reminder in conjunction with pulling the dipstick and checking oil appearance and levels. I'd recommend also jotting down the mileage and date of the last change in case the electronic reminder accidentally gets reset. Most quick lube and dealerships will list both on the receipt, just throw that in the glove box as a CYA.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ok guys I am resurrecting this thread because I have a question. In a few weeks it will be 3 months since I changed my oil. My oil life indicator is over 70%. Now the owners manual says to use the OLI because it accounts for engine temps, oil temps, RPMs, driving style, etc...or at least that's what I got from it. And I would assume that's why our engines require a special oil.

But do you all really think these cars can go over 3000 miles between oil changes consistently without any problems? And what about the filters? Are they some kind of special filter that can filter properly for extended miles/months? I mean, I don't wanna follow what the manufacturer has said in the manual just to find out I'm gonna get looked at for not changing my oil every 3 mo/3000 miles. And BTW, I know the new Bimmers also are said to go a year between changes. So whats the deal?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Chapel- Man, you're going to open not just a can of worms, but more like a case of worms on this one simple question. I don't own a 5th Gen Camaro, but I am an engineer and I do a LOT of Reliability for the Army Aviation. One of the many test we conduct is on.... Oil Analysis.

Here's my two cents, and strictly my opinion: The 3,000 miles and/or 3 months was chosen for simply for the oil companies to make more money. We are the ONLY country that has that standard. Germany, Japan, all of Europe has never "wasted" oil as much as we do. Synthetic oils are so advanced that you can go once a year and/or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Yes, there are going to be those that are "old school" and will never change their ways; but I promise you that NONE of those people have broken down and reviewed the analysis on the chemical deposits on those oils. In fact, Royal Purple has a brand, XPR, that can go out to 14,000 miles. But, it's pretty expensive. I run that version in Jade.

If I were you, I'd stick to the OLI. That's what it is there for. It's not an "idiot" reminder for us "lazy" people. It monitors the breakdown, the viscosity breakdown of the oil. That's something that neither you, nor I, nor anyone can do. And yes, it takes in account for your driving condition, the loads of the engine, the RPM's....ect.

I'm curious to see what others think.... I hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts