Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2010 camaro ss over a year ago with 30,000 miles. The steering wheel would shake back and forth from 50mph - 75mph. I attributed it to worn tires. I bought new tires but the vibration/shaking didn't go away. Since then, the steering wheel vibration has gotten worse. This passed year I've read through tons of threads and gone threw the solutions I've found as well as taken it to mechanics, countless tire shops, dealer, etc with no luck.

At this point the car has all the following new parts:

- New tires all around
- New rotors (rechecked and no warping)
- New brake pads
- New wheel hubs
- Balanced (more times than I can to remember)
- Aligned
- Had new tires rechecked to make sure I didn't get a bad one
- Had tie rods and other suspension components checked - no issues

Yet, the vibration does not go away. It has actually gotten so much worse. I'm out of ideas. I really enjoy this car but I can't continue to drive this car the way it is. The steering wheel rocks left and right like i'm driving over potholes. You can see my are shake like crazy.

Did anyone ever find a fix for this? I'm out of ideas and don't want to continue the "throw money at it" guessing game. Any help is greatly appreciate.

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
The wife had bumped a curb in our 2010 ss/rs with the right front wheel. The car did not do anything different till about 1000 miles later. Found that the rim was bent ever so slightly that it did not show up as damaged. The rim caused the tire to wear to increase to the point of shaking like yours.

To make a long story short.....put on new rim and tire, everything was good again and that was about 60K miles ago. No one found the defect in the rim cause it was so slight.

Just letting you know how our adventure was..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I've been thinking. A couple of them have some minor curb rash. I'll have the wheels checked or see if I can borrow one. I'll check back with results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the wheels checked and there were no issues with them. I did it at a couple places just to be sure. I spoke to a guy while waiting at one of the tire shops and he told me that I may want to check the steering rack. That it may have gotten air inside. He asked that test it by turning on the car, turn the wheels right and left around 5-10 times. Then it should smooth out. Well, that day I tried it and the car ran very smooth. The very next morning the car shook again. After work I tried turning the wheels and it ran smooth. I am not sure if this actually works or I just want to believe that it works at this point. Hahaha. Has anyone ever heard of this before? If so, is there a fix? I'm stumped.

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
I do not think "air" could get inside unless a check valve somewhere was leaking but I do not know anything about our power steering system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the wheels checked and there were no issues with them. I did it at a couple places just to be sure. I spoke to a guy while waiting at one of the tire shops and he told me that I may want to check the steering rack. That it may have gotten air inside. He asked that test it by turning on the car, turn the wheels right and left around 5-10 times. Then it should smooth out. Well, that day I tried it and the car ran very smooth. The very next morning the car shook again. After work I tried turning the wheels and it ran smooth. I am not sure if this actually works or I just want to believe that it works at this point. Hahaha. Has anyone ever heard of this before? If so, is there a fix? I'm stumped.
Just wondering if you were ever able to fox this issue on your car, I have the exact same problem with my 2010 Camaro SS and have taken the same steps you described (new tires, rotors, struts, brake pads, tie rods) with no luck, I can't afford to throw more money at it so I hoping you don't mind sharing your solution if you found one

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
Just wondering if you were ever able to fox this issue on your car, I have the exact same problem with my 2010 Camaro SS and have taken the same steps you described (new tires, rotors, struts, brake pads, tie rods) with no luck, I can't afford to throw more money at it so I hoping you don't mind sharing your solution if you found one

Thanks in advance
Mine still shakes a little only after being parked for 8 hours or more. This problem goes away after driving ten or fifteen minutes, I think it is just flat spotting as described above.
I now have 110k miles on it and it stays the same as usual, not increase or decrease in condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts