Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i found the solution to my previous question.. going with a Borla axelback kit for my SS.. just curious, is there any HP gain or loss with one of these kits?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
minimal gains...you certainly shouldn't lose anything.

axle backs are more for sound and to get rid of those big ugly stock mufflers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
minimal gains...you certainly shouldn't lose anything.

axle backs are more for sound and to get rid of those big ugly stock mufflers.
+1 You will lose some weight though which is always good for performance. Not only are those stock mufflers big and ugly they are also heavy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is my advice, get the ATAK if you’re only getting an axle back or Cat back and you’re not getting headers. If you have an automatic then just get the axle back because of the sound the AFM system makes kicking on and off and on and off and on and off.

I have a Borla S with headers and it sounds perfect. If I just had the S Cat backs it wouldn’t be enough. You can’t lose with Borla, which one are you getting?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Debating between an axelback or catback Borla ATAK.. price says go with axelback but I don't think im too fond of the idea of cutting up the stock exhaust..

·
Registered
115 Posts
automatic..

Get the Axle back.

I have an auto and the AFM system drives me nuts. When it kicks in you will hear a hollow sound. Its really bad with the Cat back exhaust. Its a little better with headers but I will be glad when its gone in a few weeks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get the Axle back.

I have an auto and the AFM system drives me nuts. When it kicks in you will hear a hollow sound. Its really bad with the Cat back exhaust. Its a little better with headers but I will be glad when its gone in a few weeks
so how can one turn this AFM off? ive looked it up and alot of people have same complaint.. and, wouldnt the cat back sound alot better than the axelback because of the x-pipe??:confused:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
yes Cat back will sound better but you do open your self up to drone which can be annoying although not all brandes drone The American racing set up sounds great at wot and quiet at idle and the only system I have experience with that doesnt drone

Any decent tuner should be able to tune afm out
just keep in mind the dealer can tell if the car has been tuned and it can effect warranty issues so if that matters to you than the axle back willbe the move imo and it will still sound great not just not as loud as if you had an X pipe put in

·
Registered
115 Posts
so how can one turn this AFM off? ive looked it up and alot of people have same complaint.. and, wouldnt the cat back sound alot better than the axelback because of the x-pipe??:confused:

If you’re going to turn off the AFM you will need to have the car tuned. I thought this over before I bought the Cat back and came to the conclusion that the warranty wasn’t worth having a car with a tune I didn’t like. So I got the Cat back then the Headers and I will have it Dyno’ed on 10/17/11.

I had a 1969 Camaro when I was 17 and spent many hours with my Dad fixing it up so I could tear it up racing around with my friends. I’m not going to wait 3 years or 36,000 miles to enjoy spending time with my Dad fixing this one up, he might not have 3 years left.

So if you’re asking me what I would do then it’s a no brainer. Get the Cat back then the headers add an air intake, a throttle body, and have it psycho tuned. Save up some money then install a bigger cam some Titanium valves, port and polish the heads, change the gear ratio and install something for the suspension to keep it from flipping over. Save up more money then put in some Titanium connecting rods, forged pistons, supercharged blower, high flow oil pump, have the tranny beefed up and install a neon crucifix on the dashboard so I go in the right direction after I go too fast in the wrong direction.

If I missed anything please feel free to post it with the part numbers and manufactures name.

·
Registered
4 Posts
installed the gmpp off road axle back exhaust this weekend - zero drone, tremendous improvement in sound and it has picked up at least a handful of hp.

took about 15 minutes - two quick cuts and two tightened bolts. Tips look great. Expensive but worth the assurance there wouldn't be any installation issues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
installed the gmpp off road axle back exhaust this weekend - zero drone, tremendous improvement in sound and it has picked up at least a handful of hp.

took about 15 minutes - two quick cuts and two tightened bolts. Tips look great. Expensive but worth the assurance there wouldn't be any installation issues.

Do you have an automatic? The GMPP "off road" will definitely give you increased AFM noises if your car isn't tuned.
And the GMPP "off road" axle back is the same exhaust as the Borla S type exhaust. Borla makes them both and uses the same mufflers.

You can save youself a few hundred bucks by going with the Borla.

But the GMPP does have nice exhaust tips, but its way over priced for just an axle back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes - it's an automatic and I did know it was the same as the borla, but I just don't hear the noise associated with the AFM. Maybe I just don't know what I don't know. It's a convertible, so I can always hear the breeze with the top up - but, that goes with the territory and don't consider it a knock. My mechanic is a former gm mechanic that got the kit for wholesale - not that it reduced much off the price, but wanted certified GM. For me, it sounds awesome - and gets better with every drive breaking it in. Cannot say for sure, but feels like HP increased a touch as well. Anyway - Great fun to drive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts