Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the time the Camaro comes out I am going to be done with college and in a financial situation to buy a new car. I have a 78 Camaro now and although I love the looks it is slow and handles like poo. My next car I am interested in is for track play. I always wanted to do road racing. Do you think the new camaro will be able to handle that kind of stuff or is it far behind the Corvette? By that time a 2005-2006 base Corvette will be about the same price as a brand new Camaro or an 01-04 Z06 will be cheaper.

I dont know how comparative the camaro will be to a vette. Obviously it wont be the same the camaro is a much different car but how good will the camaro platform be for road racing?

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Sure it will. :)

Out of the box, a 4th Gen Camaro in all its old technology glory was a pretty good road race car.

I suspect the 5th Gen will be far superior out of the box considering the suspension setup is so advanced, plus the independent rear suspension.

And of course there will be the after-market suspension modifications available for those who want even better handling too. :)

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
By the time the Camaro comes out I am going to be done with college and in a financial situation to buy a new car. I have a 78 Camaro now and although I love the looks it is slow and handles like poo. My next car I am interested in is for track play. I always wanted to do road racing. Do you think the new camaro will be able to handle that kind of stuff or is it far behind the Corvette? By that time a 2005-2006 base Corvette will be about the same price as a brand new Camaro or an 01-04 Z06 will be cheaper.

I dont know how comparative the camaro will be to a vette. Obviously it wont be the same the camaro is a much different car but how good will the camaro platform be for road racing?

I am Drag racing kind of guy but all of my Friends are into SCCA and Road Racing ! Between the 5 of them there are 1 Camaro 2 TransAm's and 1 Vette and 1 GTO.
Factory they all handeled very well !!!
Of course the Vette did good but the one that shocked everyone of my friends including myself on the road course was the 2005 GTO.
Now he has aftermarket suspension on it and WOW he hangs with most of the Vettes and stock BMW's.
I'm almost positive the new camaro will be a Track warrior.
Save your money and get ready if it is anything like the gto it wont be cheap to buy those kind of parts for but when you do...WOW.
In the mean time buy yourself a new Camaro and enjoy the awsome feel the factory suspension will offer....shoot by 09 or 2010 they may be even with what his car is lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
i think the new camaro will have a substantially better suspension advantage than the preceding generations.

as for pricing, well all we can tell you is that the new camaro will be priced comparably to the respective mustang models.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
It should definately be a corner carver. It's a zeta and not exactly the same as a GTO but the Zeta and the GTO share more in common that the 4th gen. I can say from experience the GTO outhandled my Camaro with substantial suspension mods on it and my GTO is stock. If it handles anywhere near the same it is going to be awsome.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think it's a given and you can take it to the bank that this Camaro will be the best handling Camaro ever produced. :thumbsup:
GM is totally aware that there is a whole group of enthusiasts out there who are planning on tracking their 5th gen Camaro and they are definitely aware of this group's expectations.
My hope is that GMPP will have suspension parts available so that people who do feel they need to make their suspension even more track-oriented won't have to go to aftermarket suppliers... thereby keeping that profit within GM.
I would also expect that not only will the version of this car that is best suited for the track be far superior to the 4th gen car, but also every model, from the V6 on up will run rings around the comparable model from previous generations.
The scribes already seem to be pretty positive with their comments about the G8's handling!

Best regardSS,

Elie

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I may be wrong but if you are into SCCA or any type of autocross or road racing the V6 will probably be your best bet as in a vehicle to use.
Less weight.
If I am not mistaken they did a test ( motortrend ) and the V8 was much heavier and was a little sluggish at times and the V6 took it like a champ.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I heard for road racing, the v6 is the way to go. And if you decide to drag race it instead, there are power adders in the works so you can't have best of both worlds.

I myself think the thirdgen is a very good handling camaro. The power is what needs working.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I heard for road racing, the v6 is the way to go. And if you decide to drag race it instead, there are power adders in the works so you can't have best of both worlds.

I myself think the thirdgen is a very good handling camaro. The power is what needs working.

:thumbsup: probably the best post I have ever seen you type LOL

You are correct about the V6 5thgen part.
As for the third gen part the third gen was an awsome handleing car for its time and with a little tweaking and adding they handle VERY WELL.
I wasnt so much for the injection part but for those days it did its purpose.
Now you can take the TPI's and so on and put them on hotrods and they look cool :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
handling and ride is faaaaar superior to past generations... i think its safe to say that aside from having loads of power, it doesnt feel like a camaro at all. its a totally different car.

I got up around 120 today and still felt very comfortable tucking it in for turns

1 - 16 of 16 Posts