Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently undergoing medical retirement as some may know - and the more people that I have look at my resume the better off. I know a few military veterans are lurking around here as well... Any advice (yes, pros and cons ;)) would be great. I'm still working on it and placed some "placeholders" in the mean time. My goal is to start shooting this out Monday.

V/R,
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Overall it looks good. Intro is a bit long & wordy. I might try some different fonts, the one you have looks nice but it's not as easy to read as it could be. you really want a handful of facts to jump off the page.

I like that you quantified a number of your skills/experiences. That's important. Too many people say "Managed weekly sales team" when it should say "Managed staff of 12 and budget of $300k". Or instead of saying "increased sales & office productivity", say "Increased sales by 30% and streamlined 4 dept processes"

But overall, it's good. My wife & I both started new jobs in the last 2 years and have become resume guru's. I've seen some really crap ones lately, but yours is good. Military experience is always a plus

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
What are you looking for, will you try to get civ ser. Have they explained the va waiver stuff to you. If you want info PM me, I am a ret USAF military personnelist...I looked at your resume, IMO I looks like you wrote it like a performance report. I do not have the new word on my system at the house at this time. So can not tell if your format is good or when my version converted it and it looked funky..

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
DUMP that email. Not Professional.

I agree that it is too wordy and the font is not easy to read. Arial or Times New Roman works well. Deside if you are seeking a computer job, a mental health job, or graphic designer job. Nothing wrong with having several different formats.

self employment history in unnecessary unless you are looking for similar work.

JMO

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ditch the e-mail address for something more professional. Just try your first initial and last name instead. Or something like that.

Change the font to something like Times New Roman, Calibri, Arial or even Courier depending on who is going to be reading the document.

Two pages is perfect for length. Anything more won't be read and anything less won't be taken seriously. If you submit your resume on a website the document will most likely be scanned by a computer that looks for keywords. If you don't have those keywords, then the document is tossed. Something that I did when looking for a new job was to put a keywords section at the top of my resume. That helped tremendously.

When it does get in the hands of a person you want them to be able to read it easily and get your point immediately. The HR guy who is screening applications only has so much time in the day to read all that come in. And a LOT will be coming in with so many people out of work. So, make it stand out as best you can.

When I was a manager reading resumes it would irritate me when someone used a fancy font or a font that was too small to read easily. More than four pages it was automatically tossed to the bottom of the pile. I would spend no more than 5 minutes per resume. If you can't convince me to setup a job interview in 5 minutes then we're done here. Harsh sounding, but it's reality these days.

Here is an excellent article I found on CNN a few days back. I hope this helps.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/01/21/cb.avoidable.job.search.mistakes/index.html?iref=allsearch

·
Registered
259 Posts
When you are done I suggest you submit to Lucasgroup. (Google it) They do a lot of hiring from the services and are a worldwide organization. They have lots to offer exiting service members. Oh, and thanks for your service.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Length does not matter as long as everything is relevant. Professional appearing email is a must.
This doc should be your sales brochure, first third of page 1 must grab their attention or its a waste to be honest.

Best, current resume advice I've seen in print recently is in a book '48 days to the work you love'
pick up a copy, well worth the time :D

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Ditch the e-mail address for something more professional. Just try your first initial and last name instead. Or something like that.

Change the font to something like Times New Roman, Calibri, Arial or even Courier depending on who is going to be reading the document.

Two pages is perfect for length. Anything more won't be read and anything less won't be taken seriously. If you submit your resume on a website the document will most likely be scanned by a computer that looks for keywords. If you don't have those keywords, then the document is tossed. Something that I did when looking for a new job was to put a keywords section at the top of my resume. That helped tremendously.

When it does get in the hands of a person you want them to be able to read it easily and get your point immediately. The HR guy who is screening applications only has so much time in the day to read all that come in. And a LOT will be coming in with so many people out of work. So, make it stand out as best you can.

When I was a manager reading resumes it would irritate me when someone used a fancy font or a font that was too small to read easily. More than four pages it was automatically tossed to the bottom of the pile. I would spend no more than 5 minutes per resume. If you can't convince me to setup a job interview in 5 minutes then we're done here. Harsh sounding, but it's reality these days.

Here is an excellent article I found on CNN a few days back. I hope this helps.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/01/21/cb.avoidable.job.search.mistakes/index.html?iref=allsearch
Kalenn makes some really good points here. We've been trying to hire a new programmer for months where I work, and I'm afraid the average IT candidate just doesn't get the concept of brevity. Bottom line, two pages is ideal and if the experience isn't relevant to the position you are seeking it probably won't help your chances to include it. Of course, if you're straight out of college, any recent work experience is probably worth mentioning, as you'll need the references.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Some good advice I got about file names for your resume is save your resume with your name in the file name. Do you know how many people just save their resume as resume.doc? This makes it really hard for the hiring manager to find yours again when all the files on their computer are saved as resume.doc. If you save in the format as lastname.firstname - resume MM-DD-YYYY.doc then if you e-mail it or submit it through a web site they will automatically be able to read your name from the file name. The more times you get your name running through their head the easier it is for them to remember you if they like it. Plus it makes it a lot easier for them to search their e-mails for your resume again.
As a few people have pointed out getting a professional e-mail with just your name in it also makes it easier for the hiring manager to send you a follow up e-mail and it just plain looks better than someone trying to figure out some quirky e-mail address you took out for all your buddies to e-mail you at.
Good luck with the job search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts