Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I will admit when i first started posting on this forum nearly 2 years ago, i was determined to get the fastest & most powerfully engine option from GM.

But alas, a lot has changed since then, namely the price of gas. I already run premimum in 2 of my rides, and have to plan for the future.

Now with the most recent discovery of the V6 camaro most likely getting a DI engine (hopefully around 300 hp as in new CTS) i think that will be more than adequate. Afterall, 98-01 LS1 f-body's were rated at 305 hp, and LT1's were even less.

Anybody else?

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Its in the cards if the it proves to be responsive to mods and the V8 is priced beyond the average joes budget.

But if the V8 is priced above 35k, I may looking into a different cat all together. But until GM release pricing info, I trying to stay faithful and listen to SS's word that the V8 will be priced reasonable.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
The V6 car is going to be a knockout. It will shock alot of people!
Heck, part of me is considering getting a V6 even.

The "just a V6" stereotype is gone with the new Camaro.
It looks good, it's quick, and it'll be economical and affordable.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I admit, if the M6 is as amazing as the focus group has lead me to believe, a premium V6 will be my cross shopper to a stripper V8.

·
Registered
60 Posts
if there will be a 4-zylinder ,i think i will pick this up... the V8 model will here cost about 60-65k so, i cant afford it.. the V6, i think comes around 50k... so i hope there will be a four zylinder option with around 200-250 hp...

·
Registered
516 Posts
I too have not "ruled out" the V6..... but.... a V-8 is still what I am lusting after.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
If I was looking for a DD, I'd probably get the V6...but I'm not...so V8 for me.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
not i theres so many things the car makers have takin from us i cant let it be the v8 muscle car too....a v6 is never gonna be a v8 yes maybe it will make the power but your never gonna get that v8 sound and deep down your gonna always wish u had gotten the v8.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Its in the cards if the it proves to be responsive to mods and the V8 is priced beyond the average joes budget.

But if the V8 is priced above 35k, I may looking into a different cat all together. But until GM release pricing info, I trying to stay faithful and listen to SS's word that the V8 will be priced reasonable.
My thoughts exactly. If the SS or Z28 (whichever is a step down from top dog) is above 35K....for one that is quite pricey if GM plans to compete with Ford...also, I may just look into the G8 if this is the case. It hurts to even think of that...

·
Registered
738 Posts
I can not tell a lie. Gas prices alone have me nervous about the Camaro completely. However, it depends on the price of the car and the gas mileage.

If I can pay cash for the car, then I'll still get it. If the V8 is 25k, I'll pay it off and suck up the gas prices. If it's higher, I'll look at the v6 and hope that the MPG is impressive enough to justify it.

I've never driven anything other than V8's. Oh, but them times are a changin'.

·
Registered
318 Posts
On the topic of the Camaro SS\Z28 competing with Mustang pricing, here's the thing: A basic Shelby GT Manual costs 36,000. It's fully loaded inside and out, but all they did under the hood was add a front strut brace, and a Shelby air filter. Inside it's Shelby signing, special leather, Shelby badging, shift kit, shift knob, and a navi system. Which, for 36,000, is fine. But it's still too **** expensive for a name. I'm hoping Chevrolet avoids something similar, as I don't want to pay upper 30's for my SS. 30-34, fine, but not over 35. Talking top-dog wise, the new GT500's are going for upwards of 80k around here, due to an almost 10k dealer markup.

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The V6 car is going to be a knockout. It will shock alot of people!

The "just a V6" stereotype is gone with the new Camaro.
It looks good, it's quick, and it'll be economical and affordable.

Thanks octane. That's really good to know. There was a huge disparatity between the 4th gen V6 & V8. Seems like it will be much lesser in the 5th gens.

a v6 is never gonna be a v8 yes maybe it will make the power but your never gonna get that v8 sound and deep down your gonna always wish u had gotten the v8.
True, if i didn't have an LS1 camaro before, and still have an LS1 vette now i might agree, times have changed.

Ideally i would like a V8 camaro, but when i consider fuel comsumption in an uncertain future, coupled with DI technology, i think i could live with a V6.

But more power to those who can afford it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
But with Modern Technology And Some modern V8s there Getting equelly as good fuel economy as a V6 Heck im Swinging 26 on the Highway now with over 600 ponies at my wheels if They can makes these V8s get Decent MPG Then why Not if your only gonna Get 2 MPG better on a V6 over a V8 why even Bother.....But just my Two cents Worth....I drive a Chevy Colorado As a DD With an I5 3.7 liter 240HP i get 17 on the Highway So Less Displacement Isnt always The best Route........

SMILE Everyone Its BEAUTIFUL TODAY AND MY WIFE IS BENDING OVER ALOT IN THE YARD HAHAHAHA.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree, to an extent, that nothing will ever give the torque-filled, throaty roar of a V8. but a V6 has been shown capable of making V8 torque and horsepower. At this point it's really becoming whether or not you want the sound and legacy of a V8. Which, I do.

·
Registered
318 Posts
On the topic of the Camaro SS\Z28 competing with Mustang pricing, here's the thing: A basic Shelby GT Manual costs 36,000. It's fully loaded inside and out, but all they did under the hood was add a front strut brace, and a Shelby air filter. Inside it's Shelby signing, special leather, Shelby badging, shift kit, shift knob, and a navi system. Which, for 36,000, is fine. But it's still too **** expensive for a name. I'm hoping Chevrolet avoids something similar, as I don't want to pay upper 30's for my SS. 30-34, fine, but not over 35. Talking top-dog wise, the new GT500's are going for upwards of 80k around here, due to an almost 10k dealer markup.
Agreed...

Since the day I was born I have wanted a Z/28 or some form of a V8 camaro with that all familiar thick sound. I will be very pleased with a base V8 at 28-29 and then adding a few bells and whistles to get me around 32/33k including paying the for the **** gas.. However, 35+ for a badge or name just wont cut it ... truthfully I have a vehicle that gets me from point A to point B and the Camaro is strictly for pleasure. If it comes down to that, ill just save the money and not get a vehicle. I just dont see myself forking over money I saved for a V6 when all along I've wanted this V8 and will regret it down the line. I believe octane, and that this will be an impressive V6, but it is just not the same. The sound is half the fun...but at 35k+...ehhhh

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I'm still determined to get my RS, but if I have to, I'll settle for the V6. As long as it's over 285 HP, I'm fine. Plus the Camaro in Transformers had a V6 and It could do a fine burnout.

Update: Oh.....It did actually have a V8..........But.......I could still burnout in a V6....Right?:confused:

If that one guy did it in a Civic, I can do it with a Maro.:patriot:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
orrr yall could waite two years after they start being delivered and get a v8 for 20k.....lol yea i know not funny

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
I'm still determined to get my RS, but if I have to, I'll settle for the V6. As long as it's over 285 HP, I'm fine. Plus the Camaro in Transformers had a V6 and It could do a fine burnout.
All Camaros in the Transformers movie were V8s.
Steve Saleen claiming they were V6s was a boneheaded lie.

However yes, the V6 will indeed be able to do good burnouts. :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
My only issue with people trying to sell me a car with highway mileage being mid 20's is that I work on a military base where speed rarely goes over 35. So, I almost never see highway mileage. Right now I'm putting $58 a week in my Mustang. It's killing my wallet.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts