Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
so thats the caprice? basically the g8 right? whats it replacing? or is it not offered in chevys civilian lineup?

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
A couple of things...The G8 LOOKED better, and the new police spec Caprice is only rockin 355 hp. Wait a couple of years and buy one super cheap from an auction.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Add a blower, and better gears, and you'd have something pretty cool.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
so thats the caprice? basically the g8 right? whats it replacing? or is it not offered in chevys civilian lineup?
Its like an extended G8.

No you can't buy them, but the dealer got some and GM missed the part in the contract about police only.

I'm sure GM has fixed this by now and are probley mad at the dealer, but thats just my opinion.

These 10 or so are detetive cars and will probley be the only civilian Caprices unless GM changes their mind.

I don't see why not just sell Caprice civilian models to civilians if civilians want to buy why not make Caprice availiable to them?

I don't think they are the best looking cars though and to me they look a little dated. Nothing a facelift couldn't take care of though.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I saw an unmarked new Impala pulling someone over while on vacation at a beach in SC. Seems to me the Impala would work just as well as a police cruiser.

·
5,668 Posts
I saw an unmarked new Impala pulling someone over while on vacation at a beach in SC. Seems to me the Impala would work just as well as a police cruiser.
From what I understand the RWD is more heavy duty and thats what they want.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
5,668 Posts
Cops tend to really not like FWD. It's probably easier to correct oversteer then it is understeer.

The police here haven't really decided on a replacement for the crown vic yet. I've seen a few Taurusses around..I hope that's not their final decision.
That probley has something to do with it also.

I would say besides whats been said that towing is another advantage.

Here are som good points:

Why are most police cars rear-wheel drive? | Answerbag

Most police cars are rear-wheel drive because they can withstand the extreme conditions under which police cars often operate. Rear-wheel drive is safer and better handling at high speeds than front-wheel drive, plus rear-wheel drive cars are less expensive, and easier to repair and maintain.

Rear-Wheel Drive Cars Are More Rugged Than Front-Wheel Drive
Real-wheel drive vehicles are simple and rugged, and can take a lot of abuse without expensive repairs. Hit a curb or a pothole with a front-wheel drive car and the chances of doing severe damage are much greater. Usually, damage to a police car will be to the front end, including ramming other cars to make them stop.

Cost Is A Factor
In addition to being safer, the overall cost of maintaining a rear-wheel drive police car is less that that of maintaining a front-wheel drive police car. This cost factor also is important given budget restraints faced by some police departments.

Real-Wheel Drive Is Safer With High Speeds
Rear-wheel drive cars handle better and are safer in conditions involving high speeds. In a front-wheel drive car, most of the weight from the engine and the tri-axle is over the front wheels. In a rear-wheel drive car, the weight is more evenly distributed for better balance and handling.

Larger Cubic-Inch Engines
Rear-wheel drive cars can handle larger cubic-inch engines, which have more power for high-speed applications and deliver more torque to the rear wheels than front-wheel drive cars.

One Disadvantage to Rear-Wheel Drive
Front-wheel drive cars handle better than rear-wheel drive in severe weather conditions. Front-wheel drive cars do not lose as much traction on wet pavement and handle better in snowy conditions. Rear-wheel drive police cars, however, can benefit from tires designed for severe weather conditions.

Read more: Why are most police cars rear-wheel drive? | Answerbag Why are most police cars rear-wheel drive? | Answerbag

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The impala is used by the USAF>> for security police.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
CAFE is the reason we can't buy this car retail.
Fleet sales don't count towards CAFE, so fuel economy isn't as important for those.

Although depending on GM's situation with CAFE (and of course depending on consumer demand) the Caprice may come to the retail market.
If that happens, you will see a V6 version for sure.

So yeah, it's possible, but I wouldn't count on it.

Wait a couple years and they'll be available when police squads start selling them. :)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
CAFE is the reason we can't buy this car retail.
Fleet sales don't count towards CAFE, so fuel economy isn't as important for those.

Although depending on GM's situation with CAFE (and of course depending on consumer demand) the Caprice may come to the retail market.
If that happens, you will see a V6 version for sure.

So yeah, it's possible, but I wouldn't count on it.

Wait a couple years and they'll be available when police squads start selling them. :)
Fleet being exempt from CAFE..yet more proof that CAFE does jack but harm personal sales.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts