Modern Camaro Forums banner

Do you think Race Car drivers are athletes?

• Yes

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had this discussion at work and NOBODY thinks race car drivers are athletes.I beg to differ because just like an a football or basketball player,they lift weights,they train like they're going to be doing a triathalon.

sure the argument against them is that all they do is sit in a car and drive for hours.

my counter argument is that F-1 drivers experience g forces AS OFTEN as Fighter Pilots and Fighter Pilots MUST BE in shape(at least military ones).
In addition to the g-forces being put on their bodies,In NASCAR the cars that they race in DURING the race gets to 190 degrees in the summer time and yes this is when they're driving 200mph.

In endurance racing they drive from anywhere from 6-12 hours in one stint and some races are 24 hours in lengthlike the 24 Hours of Le Mans or 24 Hours of the Nurburgring.Desert races are much longer like the BAJA 1000,Paris to Dakar or Trans-Siberian.

Professional Moto GP bike riders race at 200mph in the rain and they need to make split second descions to avoid hitting each other.Many times they're just litterally inches from each other

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Competition - check
Points - check
Awards - check
Get Paid - check
Sponsors - check

Yea... i would say they're athletes.
Not quite

ATHLETE = ATHLETIC

ath⋅let⋅ic   /æθˈlɛtɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ath-let-ik] Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective
1. physically active and strong; good at athletics or sports: an athletic child.
2. of, like, or befitting an athlete.
3. of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina: athletic sports; athletic training.
4. for athletics: an athletic field.
5. Psychology. (of a physical type) having a sturdy build or well-proportioned body structure. Compare asthenic (def. 2), pyknic (def. 1).

Anyone who can pilot a NASCAR under the conditions and for as long as those drivers do are athletes in my book :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely athletes.
Driving *any* car for 3, 4, 5 consecutive hours in *any* competitive format is anything but easy.
yeah I personally think that the people who don't think that they are athletes haven't raced cars at all at any competitive level.Me personally I haven't been behind the wheel of a proper race car(one with a roll cage) or even been to a track with one I still give race car drivers the utmost respect.Simply becuse I would like to think I could do the same thing they do but I'm willing to accept the reality I may not be up to the task to do it!:lol:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Its a bit of a yes/no answer. Are they athletes in the sense that they compete in a physically demanding way for 2-3 hours? No, not really. However, is what they do physically demanding enough to require them to be really athletic? Without a doubt, yes.

I'd like to see any of those NFL guys decently drive a stock car for 500 miles in 140 degree heat for almost 4+ hours. Racing isn't as easy as it looks and I know that for a fact. Went to Fastimes in Indy and thought that the carts wouldn't be too hard for me, wrong. After two heats, I was dead tired.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No they're racecar drivers. You need to be athletic to be an athlete.
Exactly. Does the physical prowess of a Nascar driver make them good drivers? Does the physical abilities of a Nascar driver determine the outcome of the competition? Is intense physical training required to perform within the sport itself? Does it take skill...absolutely. Can anyone do it? No. If you still don't think so then think about this....

Fishing is sponsored, they get paid, it is competition, they do accumulate points & they win awards. It is a skill requiring some physical fitness but the lack of peak body performance does not determine the outcome of the competition. Bowling???...samething...do I really need to point out the physical prowess of bowlers? :thumbsup:

Don't confuse skill with the athleticism. To cool one's body in a hot environment, you may have to be in good physical condition to overcome the affects while driving but they also use cool suits. I have driven more miles in my car in one day throughout New Jersey, New York & Pennsylvannia than they do in a single Nascar race but because I turn the heat up too full blast and roll up the window doesn't make me an athelete. :confused: Yes, driving on the turnpikes and highways in the northeast count as competition.:lol:

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Don't confuse skill with the athleticism. To cool one's body in a hot environment, you may have to be in good physical condition to overcome the affects while driving but they also use cool suits. I have driven more miles in my car in one day throughout New Jersey, New York & Pennsylvannia than they do in a single Nascar race but because I turn the heat up too full blast and roll up the window doesn't make me an athelete. :confused: Yes, driving on the turnpikes and highways in the northeast count as competition.:lol:
Yep, driving on the New Jersey Turnpike was exercise for me when I transferred up to Rhode Island. I come from a small town in East Texas (Yes, if you're from Texas you can capitalize the region you're from:lol:) and I seriously thought about turning around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts