Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The article:
http://www.automobilemag.com/new_an...aro_cheryl_pilcher_question_answer/index.html

Will there be a Z28 model?

CP: "There will be no Z28 model. Through the four generations of Camaro, there have been cases where Chevrolet chose to make the Z28 the top dog or the SS the top dog. As you're aware, Chevrolet is encouraging the SS strategy with cars such as the HHR SS and Cobalt SS. Consistent with this strategy, we have a Camaro SS."

Misquote of the century.

Here is Cheryl's actual response -
Cheryl Pilcher said:
The real question asked by the writer was "with the V6 LS & LT and V8 SS, will there also be a Z28 model at SORP (Start Of Regular Production)?"

The answer is no.

Ok, so there it is from the horses mouth - no Z28 at launch.
But that doesn't mean it'll never happen! :)

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
you just had to start another thread about this topic, ok let me rephrase that

you had to start a new thread becauce this was cloging up so many other threadsss.....

but i do hope they produce a z28 with enough power to blow the gt500 out of the water...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Stock Camaro SS is only 60 ponies from the actual rwhp rating of a GT500, which should actually be called a GT480. :) With a CAI, headers, full-length exhaust, and a tune, we'll be killing GT500's out of the box like they were Honda Civics.

·
Registered
109 Posts
GM will stick with the SS family despite the desire to have a Z28 model there are very few consumers that would be willing to pay a high premium of an additional 10K. New MPG EPA regulations will significantly limit future options.

What will become a popular sub-division is something in the way of a "Year-One" Z28 conversion upgrading an SS with aftermarket suspension and twin turbos providing over 550 horses on the LS3 V-8 6 speed manual.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
So maybe that's a way to get out of the low CAFE numbers. Release a base car, and have aftermarket companies put out the high power/low efficiency cars. You know the people that want the top dog cars are willing to pay that extra money, so why not strike a deal with an aftermarket company to "produce" them?

Strike a deal, lease the Z28 moniker, the aftermarket company mods the car, makes some cash, and pays GM for the use of the name. Everyone is happy. GM has lower CAFE numbers, people are driving Z28s, and the government looks like it's actually doing something.

·
Registered
357 Posts
So maybe that's a way to get out of the low CAFE numbers. Release a base car, and have aftermarket companies put out the high power/low efficiency cars. You know the people that want the top dog cars are willing to pay that extra money, so why not strike a deal with an aftermarket company to "produce" them?

Strike a deal, lease the Z28 moniker, the aftermarket company mods the car, makes some cash, and pays GM for the use of the name. Everyone is happy. GM has lower CAFE numbers, people are driving Z28s, and the government looks like it's actually doing something.
I agree with this statement, if GM doesn't build a Z28 because of CAFE. If the SS was to be outsourced for higher performance mods, I would hope that GM approves the mods or the company doing the mods, has a warranty. Like Baldwin Motion did with the 70 camaro.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with this statement, if GM doesn't build a Z28 because of CAFE. If the SS was to be outsourced for higher performance mods, I would hope that GM approves the mods or the company doing the mods, has a warranty. Like Baldwin Motion did with the 70 camaro.

SF
Rick
I too agree, however -- Rick, I don't think their are any cool gearhead minds working at Chevy like there were back in '67 - '72.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too agree, however -- Rick, I don't think their are any cool gearhead minds working at Chevy like there were back in '67 - '72.
That is sooooo not true. For example, (and there are thousands of other gearheads at GM, just do a search for their employee car show) Doug Houlihan is a total gearhead, I've played golf with the guy and if his work at Holden doesn't show that he loves horsepower, I don't know what does. Also, the people at GM performance parts have their **** together when it comes to offering nice tidy engine upgrades for these LS motors as well.

Given the fact that you can get 500 rwhp with less than $3K in upgades (non-GMPP upgrades) to the Corvette's LS3 (which may actually be a less powerful engine than they're putting in the Camaro, ratings aside), I almost think the Z/28 is unnecessary. Would it be cool to read about in magazines? Sure it would, but 500 rwhp, brembo brakes and a well sorted (and readily upgradable) suspension and chassis platform will provide nearly anyone with a car that can exceed their driving abilities.

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
Can someone explain to me (or point me to a good explanation) of what's the big deal with the Z/28 label?

No offense intended - I'm just not familiar with the GM/Chevy/Camaro worlds as many (most?) of you are.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
z / 28 is a production order number that chevy uses to identify options with.
z /71 trucks
z /24 cavalier
iroc z
That's actually when Chevrolet started watering down the "Z" option.

Just think ZR1 and you will understand the relevance of the Z28. By the time the late 80's rolled around, you had Z24 Cavalier, Z71 trucks, Z34 Lumina, GTZ Beretta (which led to the Z26), etc. Not very inspiring. When the SS returned in 96, the Z28 wasn't as "powerful" an image it had once been. SS models were pretty much non-existent. The Impala SS was a huge departure from the Caprice it was based on. The only other SS at that time was the S-10 SS which was great for the sport-truck enthusiast (the 454 SS was another huge step over the standard C/K line from 90-93).

Funny how things are turning back around.

I could go on and on and on about the Super Sport, but I'd bore you.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Can someone explain to me (or point me to a good explanation) of what's the big deal with the Z/28 label?

No offense intended - I'm just not familiar with the GM/Chevy/Camaro worlds as many (most?) of you are.
Originally, the Z/28 was "THE" Camaro race car. It was the original Camaro which participated in Trans Am racing and was backed by GM. It has a lot of racing heritage which carries a lot of weight today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
RPO Z28

RPO (Regular Production Option) code Z28 was the order option for Road Racing. SCCA American Sedan Class had a 5.0 liter engine Limit. So Z28 code was the RPO they used when the 67 Camaro was ordered with a 302cid that met the specs of the SCCA Racing.
The Z28 emblems were not planned on being displayed, until the huge success of the orders. So, in 68, they started calling the cars with that RPO a Z28.
Some of us think going straight is boring and giant heavy engines don't turn so good. So Chevrolet had the Z28 option for those who preferred handling and braking to just going straight.

Make my 2010 Camaro a Z28-R
insulation Delete
seam welded
Sparco Road Race Seat
Schroth 5pt Harness
Fire System
HVAC Delete
factory roll cage
factory Fuel cell
Carpet Delete (no interior)
power window delete
power lock delete
radio delete
racing ABS programing
18" light weight wheels
P275/40/ZR18 Tires
3.42 posi
HD 6 speed Transmission
400HP LS3
off road exhaust w/cat delete
3500lbs empty

BTW, No VIN# just a part# in the GM Performance Catalog.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.