Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you know by now, I am one of 15 individuals selected by General Motors to participate in the Focus Group for the new Camaro! :)

We will be discussing production options, packaging, and other things about what will make production and what will not.

There will be a few things I can discuss afterwards, however all focus group entrants are required to sign a confidentiality agreement, so there will be things I cannot discuss.

The Camaro Focus Group takes place Monday, May 21 at the GM Proving Grounds in Milford, Michigan.

GM WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU! :thumbsup:

Feedback, commects, suggestions, post it here!
I will be printing out this thread and bringing it with me to the focus group. :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
1. Smokers package ( option ) not for me but ya know
2. HUD ( head up display)
3. DIC ( shows MPG, oil life, Range, gas used and some)
4. Embroidered seats would be awesome
5. Solid rear axel :D
6. heated seats and chilled front seats ( i live in NJ cold winters and ****)
7. some GM kits ( dash kit, body kits, hoods ) not sayin it doesn't look hot but like the GTO it has a front fascia option from GM which is hot as hell.

narrow that list down to w/e... but 1-3 are my top picks..

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
First and foremost, pricing MUST be competetive.
I'm not one for frills like HUD, DIC, heated seats etc on a car like this. IMO all those things do is drive up the price.

NICE WHEELS. GM has finally offered nice aftermarket wheels on the trucks, I would like to see this carry over to the Camaro.

Different wheels on the base coupe than on the uplevel cars. I hated that a V6 4th gen Camaro looked just like a Z28 sans the dual exhaust and badging.

Keep the air inlet in the front header panel.
Keep the 'cowl induction' looking hood

RS Rally Sport hideaway headlamps would be checked on my option list for sure.

If you offer satellite radio, please make it an option that can be deleted at will. I don't like the servie and I don't like the black antenna on the roof even more.

Exhaust. Give the V8 cars a GREAT sound. Don't make us go aftermarket right out of the box.

Have a good time at the event. Is it here in the Detroit area?

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
How about a tranny temp gauge for the auto and gauges (temp, volts, oil pressure, etc)that display a scale along with an actual reading of what is going on. No idiot lights.

·
Registered
455 Posts
i would like to see a harddrive to hold music! This would cut down on Cd's in the car and be more organized ...i got like 20 cd's floating around in my vehicle...they get scratched and become no good so this would b soo much better :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
A number of the things listed above I agree with. I'll add...

1. Active Handling System / Magnetic Ride Control (whatever you want to call it). For us older fogies who want a car that handles well, but that can be switched to soft ride for daily commute.

2. Bluetooth 2.0 option. It may not be that popular/hot right now, but it will pick up as more and more states require hands free for cell phone use in cars, like California recently did. A lot of people will want to user their current cell provider in-car instead of Onstar.

3. Fold down or pass through rear seat and fold down passenger front seat. Might as well get what utility you can out of the car. The more utility it has, the more you attract buyers who would otherwise write off the car because their needs and wants are contrary. Allow for their needs and they'll buy what they want.

4. This one probably won't be popular here but... Prep the car for the addition of an E-Flex Propulsion System (ie. Volt concept system) down the road (this can probably wait for the next re-design, but it should be an option at some point in the not too distant future). In lieu of this option, consider adding a large electromagnet to the bottom of the car so that it collects loose change from the side of the road to help defray the price of filling up at the pump ;)

Congrats on getting the call to be a part of the focus group. That's an honor I know a lot of people around here would love to have.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Two V6's and two V8's, six speed automatics for either. Optional E85 package on at least one of the v6s, if not on a v8 too.

Please don't cheap out on front brake rotors on the top dog (Z28), no wrong-way directional vented rotors like on the right front of the Z06..... People don't spend that kind of money to buy that kind of lazy parts sourcing effort.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
My wish list:

I want E85 on all the V8's at least. I would love to use E85 all the time if I could vs gas. I think the more E85 cars you build the more chance there will be E85 pumps in more locations.

Also would love to have a hard drive for music. I hate CDs.

Make a car that has a V8 that will beat with the shelby mustang 1/4 mile.
Even if you don't make many, It just needs to be done.

Good looking wheels.

overall keep it close to the concept.

make differnt models so there not all the same Sports Coupe SS RS Z28 ZL1 and don't make every model the exact same car like it was before. make the models with a noticable difference performance and apperance.

I also want HID to be available.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
possible electronic locking rearend?????

possible exhaust options.....borla, etc.

everybody has covered everything else

·
Registered
98 Posts
Expanded color pallete beyond red, black, white, silver, and blue with multiple stripe choices. People will pay more for optional higher- end colors. Also offer the automatic tranny with all engine choices, including the most powerful V-8.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a huge fan of the console gauges. I would also like to stress a top dog powerplant that can compete with domestic manufacturers' other offerings. I have brand loyalty, but don't want to get eaten alive like the GTs and older Cobras did against the Z/28 and SS. Power is a deal breaker for me.

I would also like to see a heritage paint option (yes, I'll pay for it) that would allow me to get the car painted in a '67, '68 or '69 color scheme (i.e. hockey sticks, Z stripes, or front nose striping) and colors . Having the car look like my 68 Z in the garage is a huge selling point for me. Hopefully the Z/28 will retain the outrageous power and "top of the line" status it had back then.

I would also like the ability to participate in a pre-sale agreement or other factory based initiative that can guarantee me list price as long as I order prior to, or within the first 12 months of availablity. Listening to all of these Ford owners pine over the egregious dealer mark-ups of the GT500 has me concerned about the coming Camaro as well.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I agree with the expanded choice of colors and heritage paint packages.
Most of the first Generation color choices should be available.
GM can build millions of 6 banger fleet cars with cheaps interiors but make sure a world class interior option is available.

Factory performance parts that won't void the warranty. I'm talking cam and valve train, headers and exhaust, drive train components, heck might as well ask for superchargers :rotflmao: . The guy at the dealership should give you a high five when you come in for maintenance or buy more parts not start crying and lying about why your new cam made your radio go out.

Most importantly, build it to last. I want the car to be affordable, but don't go with the cheapest supplier. Weigh in quality and durability. The Camaro can be a real turn around car for GM if they build it right. We are looking to buy a legendary performance car, not a Malibu.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
problem getting all these options with out hurting emissions or goverment standards.

·
Registered
742 Posts
problem getting all these options with out hurting emissions or goverment standards.
well remember how many civics and toyotas are out there. a small fraction of v-8 camaro's plus the small fraction of people who will actually modify their camaro. no doubt there will be a tax we pay when we get the car, but who the hell cares? when you really tink about it, global warming hasn't been proved. we only been tracking weather for how long? 100 years at the most. i dunno this global warming **** is just a $$$$ maker for the government in most cases.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts

Well, GMMP was selling Camaro packages rated at 475 hp in 2002. So that's a big jump over the considered standard top dog V8s you could buy. I'm sure that part selection and proper tuning would net some incredible numbers on a 427 ci package, if offered. I'm thinking in the range of 600 hp SAE could be possible and still pass emmissions.

Performance gears, convertors, high flow exhaust, and properly selected camshaft changes can usually be done with a performance gain and without causing failed emmissions on cars. The dealer ships should be happy to offer these because if they don't sell them and make the profit someone else will.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hideaway lamps.
Bad ass Speed. I Want To Be The Street Light King The Day I Leave The Dealership.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Offer 2 V6 options for the ladies and 2 V8 options between 400hp and 500hp for the rest of us also the SS should be the top of the line like the old day's. Offer automatic trany for all models and put the cowl induction hood on the V8 only also offer possi rear on V8.:5go:

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Screw the option packages -- just make the thing reasonably loaded (on par with the base line of the competition) and put the price tag in the same ballpark. After that's accomplished, then you can start toying with the upgrades. If GM puts too much into the baseline, the Camaro will become an elitist vehicle and sales expectations won't be met.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Well, GMMP was selling Camaro packages rated at 475 hp in 2002. So that's a big jump over the considered standard top dog V8s you could buy. I'm sure that part selection and proper tuning would net some incredible numbers on a 427 ci package, if offered. I'm thinking in the range of 600 hp SAE could be possible and still pass emmissions.

Performance gears, convertors, high flow exhaust, and properly selected camshaft changes can usually be done with a performance gain and without causing failed emmissions on cars. The dealer ships should be happy to offer these because if they don't sell them and make the profit someone else will.
Dealerships don't have to meet the same emissions requirements as the manufacturers though, which is how Berger and GMMG could get away with the modifications they did to the cars.

I think talking about dealer special packages and manufacturer options is apples/oranges.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.