Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these nice quality pics of the two trannsmissions offered in the SS models.

A6 Transmission

SS model 6L80 hydramatic Camaro transmission (auto)

The automatic is a 6 speed TAPshift Hydra-Matic 6L50, and 6L80 for the SS. TAPshift transmission control allows you to shift the standard 6-speed automatic gearbox up or down a gear with just a touch of the paddles mounted on the steering wheel hub.​

M6 Transmission

SS model TR6060 (MH3) Camaro Six Speed manual

The 6 speed manual transmission also comes in 2 versions for the Camaro. An Alison Warner AY6, or a TR6060 for the SS (the 6060 is a strong tranny and is found in the likes of the Dodge Viper). View more details in this .pdf (Needs Adobe Acrobat, Foxit, or similar PDF viewer).​

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
ha...the TR6060 certainly looks cooler:rotflmao:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
OK, like I said in another post, I'm old school when it comes to engines and drivetrains.

Why does the A6 have what appears to be axle stubs coming out of the rear? It looks like this tranny is mounted at the rear, like the Corvette, but yet, it looks like it mounts to the flexplate at the motor.:confused:

EDIT: I just noticed that the A6 picture is captioned with "Transaxle"

So this picture must a Corvette A6.

I guess there is some sort of adapter that attaches the converter to the driveshaft or torque tube, right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
And, I noticed in the details link, there is a "pump", (oil pump I presume). It says it is used on the Z51 option and Z06.

Now, since we are going to have transmission temp gauge, I wonder if that means we are getting an upgraded Corvette transmission? I could see how monitoring the oil temp would be easier and more accurate in a pressure-lubed system than a typical splash system.

I seem to be realizing and appreciating the fact, (finally), that the engine and driveline are some high quality pieces since they are derived, if not the actual pieces from a Vette!!

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
OK, like I said in another post, I'm old school when it comes to engines and drivetrains.

Why does the A6 have what appears to be axle stubs coming out of the rear? It looks like this tranny is mounted at the rear, like the Corvette, but yet, it looks like it mounts to the flexplate at the motor.:confused:

EDIT: I just noticed that the A6 picture is captioned with "Transaxle"

So this picture must a Corvette A6.

I guess there is some sort of adapter that attaches the converter to the driveshaft or torque tube, right?
This is because the engine will be mounted sideways like a FWD car for the automatic cars.:D

Well, I think they may have the wrong pic up because it says transaxle. I think it will look the same, but it won't have that piece bolted to the back of it. Notice the manual trans has the same bolt pattern where that piece could also fit.

It would look more like this:

Here is a better comparision:
Auto 6L80

Manual T56

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Ok I think I found the correct one:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2009/09car.htm#ls362L

This is the one listed for the Pontiac G8 GXP. The Camaro is not listed yet, but I am pretty sure its the same as the GXP.

You can also compare gear ratios:
------------Auto-------------Manual---------------
1st-------4.03----------------3.01-----------------
2nd-------2.36---------------2.07-----------------
3rd--------1.53---------------1.43-----------------
4th---------1.15--------------1.00-----------------
5th---------0.85--------------0.84-----------------
6th---------0.67--------------0.57-----------------
R-----------3.06--------------3.28-----------------
Final------3.27--------------3.45-----------------
The Auto weighs 53lbs more
http://media.gm.com/servlet/Gateway...s/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=12&docid=47302

1 - 8 of 8 Posts