Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
8,984 Posts
it just does, also has different gearing.....

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Different engine configurations. Auto is L99 and Manual is LS3. Auto has cylinder deactivation, manual doesn't. That's about the gist of it.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Auto is a tad quicker in the 1/4 because GM got the shift points right on but anything longer than a 1/4 the m6 will pass the auto.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
the difference is a response to different needs and expectations
people, who love manual transmissions, expect their cars to deliver other qualities than those, who prefer auto-trans
it is the same story with the car itself...
you can get a v6, a v8 and the supercharged v8
coupe or convertible

·
Registered
41 Posts
The HP difference has to do with the L99 configuration being used to keep the fuel economy up from what I gather. They easily could have thrown the auto behind the LS3, but it would have suffered in fuel economy and maybe would have garnered the guzzler tax.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm a throttle-blippin', double-clutchin', down-shifter...and proud of it. That's why I prefer the manual 6 gear transmission. However, if ever my right arm or left leg become infirm, I'd get me one of them there new Caddilliacs what I seen on this site that drives themselves. It's either that, or shoot myself. :lol:

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
They are called "gas mileage" gears in my car. Only good for the long trips on 75MPH highways.

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
I have to have gears to throw. Never could get used to the paddles, but that's because I've never driven a Paddle shifter for more than 10 minutes at a time.

·
8,984 Posts
I am 6 months back in a manual and I still cannot figure out what the gripe is about driving in traffic.

Still love it.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I've had nothing but 6 speeds and in the Tampa Metro area I just don't miss it. Love the auto ESP with the tune.

·
Registered
442 Posts
OK my opinion. I ordered the 6mt in my ZL1. I don't like the Camaro paddles or the Hurst auto shifter. My problem with the paddles is that they turn with the steering wheel. My 370Z's paddles stay inplace. When turning the steering wheel they are always in the same place. Just think a very sharp corner and you are trying to up shift and you hit the downshift paddle. :confused:

·
Registered
226 Posts
firecross91:

You hit the nail squarely on the head. I had paddles with my 2009 Acura TL; one of the few automatic transmission cars I've ever had. The paddles were mounted on the steering wheel and the + and - marks on them were really hard to read.

When I was in a curve or turning a corner, if I wanted to use the paddles to shift, I was never sure as to which paddle was up and which down. I think if I ever have another automatic, the gear selector is going to have to be on the console with the shift lever.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have taken a chip clip, the rubber cover over the metal clip matches the stripes on my car. I put one chip clip on the up shift paddle. It helps identify when I'm on a turn and shifting. I've driven plenty of sticks too and agree with the fun it is; I've had this auto w/taps for 40k miles now and it's just as fun in it's own way.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've drove nothing but manual's until I got sick and didn't have the strength to drive my Z06 Corvette anymore. My 2012 SS is an auto and it took awhile to get used to but I like it now. The paddle shifting works great and feels more responsive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts