Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i ordered my SS as an M6 because thats how i have never even imagined owning an automatic sports car...until now. After some reading up on the 2, im having a really hard time justifying getting that stick ive always dreamed about and im considering changing my order.

As far as I can tell, the only advantage the stick gives you is the fun factor. period. Oh and maybe top speed. The auto supposedly beats the M6 in the qtr mile, and it seems like it would have an advantage on a twisty road course too now that it has some good paddles. So, with the better performance, AFM, remote start option, and never having to mess with replacing a clutch, the auto seems like the obvious choice.

Can anyone point out something im not considering? I really want to justify getting a M6, but there doesnt seem to be any practical reason at all...

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Manuals tend to get better gas mileage, especially on the highway. And you have more control over the vehicle, it does what YOU want it to do, not what it wants to do.
I would agree with this for every generation of camaro, until now with the 5th gen. Now that we have Tapshift (which will genuinely hold a gear until you tell it to shift, and then gives you a quick and smooth throttle blip on downshifts and is supposedly faster shifting than you could make with a stick) i dont see how you have any more control over the vehicle in any practical form. I have been through a number of racing schools and after trying to consider all racing scenarios, i cant come up with a single advantage the stick could hold over the auto. Can anyone else?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I HAD 1 CHOICE WHEN I ORDERED MY SS THE OTHER DAY GET AN AUTOMATIC OR DON'T GET THE CAR. THE PERSON WHO SAID THAT MY WIFE! AS SHE SAID IF SHE CAN'T DRIVE IT THEN I CAN'T BUY IT SO I SUCKED IT UP AND ORDERED THE AUTOMATIC. AT THE END OF IT ALL I KEPT MY WIFE HAPPY AND I BOUGHT MYSELF ONE BADASS RIDE.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
real men use 3 pedals.

The auto will probably get better MPG because of the AFM...but sorry, I get board with auto's. Unless I was going to do a lot of drag racing, it's an M6 for me...and if my wife couldn't drive stick, I would with-out-a-doubt order a stick.:rotflmao:

it's also cheaper to order and you don't have to change the fluid as often.;)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like you've really already made your mind up,I order'd an automatic and have no regrets,And don't think you will either,unless your still under 30 and have'nt grew outa of it yet!

·
Registered
31 Posts
AUTOMATIC OR STICK THE ONLY PEDAL THAT MATTERS IS THE GAS PEDAL THE FURTHER IT GOES DOWN THE BIGGER YOUR SMILE GETS AND THE FASTER YOUR HEART RACES. THE ALL ON THIS SITE WHEN THE WAIT IS OVER AND WE GO PICK UP THE CAR AT THE DEALER WE ALL WILL BE LIKE KIDS AT A TOY STORE AND HAVE ONE OF THE BIGGEST SMILES YOU EVER HAD. LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
The new CTSV was the fastest production sedan on the nurburgring and guess what it was an auto. I believe the same auto going into the 5th gen.

real men use 3 pedals.
Real men get outran by smart men in autos:D

Reactions: Jonz5GEN

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
To those who swear by the M6, have you been in a 400+hp car equipped with an automatic and manual shift capabilities? This offer extends to any curious peeps in the Long Island area who might be on the fence about which tranny to order.......go for a ride in my car and then tell me that automatics are boring!:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
To those who swear by the M6, have you been in a 400+hp car equipped with an automatic and manual shift capabilities? This offer extends to any curious peeps in the Long Island area who might be on the fence about which tranny to order.......go for a ride in my car and then tell me that automatics are boring!:eek:
Another thing is when you get higher and higher HP levels than a manual gets slower and slower compared to an auto. Low HP cars then I would say the opposite. 400+HP is alot of HP.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
This will be a long running discussion, much like the 1000's of small block vs. big block threads you can find all over the internet.

It really comes down to what you like to drive. For a DD or a drag car, I wouldn't even consider an M6...but for a fun weekend street car...it's an M6 for me.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It may have tapshift, but it's still an automatic and will only give you so much control of the shifting. It can, and very well might, shift when it wants to. It still is heavier than a manual, and automatics break down before manuals do (most million mile+ vehicles are manuals).
that depends on how you maintain your car and drive it

one good thing about auto is if it can see you are going to blow it up it will shift up anyway
(my gmc yukon did that....)
not sure if it will on camaro though

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
from what I've read about tapshift mode, it will never force an upshift. It will stay in gear until YOU shift it, even if you let it bounce on redline. It doesn't take "suggestions" as many M modes do, but does exactly what you tell it to do. The downshifts are REALLY quick too. The throttle blips to rev match and off you go. I took a C6 for a test run yesterday to confirm all this because it is supposed to work the same as the 5th gen.
I keep hearing people say the M6 gives you more control, but no one ever gives an example of how...

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I keep hearing people say the M6 gives you more control, but no one ever gives an example of how...
because it's obvious...besides being able to shift it whenever/however you want, you can launch it at whatever RPM you want.

·
Registered
29 Posts
let's see the car i am driving now the transmission is going.....driving my brothers saturn sky redline with auto boring......drove a new g8 with the tapshift just felt weird (disconnect) not the same as shifting with a stick....no comparsions for a true sports car.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Have people who really worry about this even had a performance car before? Honestly, how could you even worry about which transmission to choose? Do you like full control and connection with the car? Do you just want to put it in gear and do nothing? That's it. Period. If all you care about is a tenth of a second (which I promise none of you who are sooooo concerned about 0-60 or 1/4 mile will EVER have the guts to push it to any limits) then you're just a magazine racer. In the real world, it's not going to matter. If you just want to hop in the car and go for a cruise and not think, then maybe the auto is for you.

If you honestly plan on racing competitively, then maybe the consistency of the automatic is for you. OTOH, if you do race quite a bit, you will understand how to control your manual transmission and get the most out of it - consistently. If you are buying this car for a brute-strength street car, then how interactive do you feel the auto is going to be? Yes, many of you can say "ride in my car and see how an automatic can be". Great, put that converter in and do this that and the other thing. I can guarantee that the people you are trying to convince will not take their cars to the level to which it would ever matter.

I'm not trying to be a jerk - just realistic. Are you ever going to race anyone where it's going to matter or are you just trying to have a bigger ego by what some editors got the car to do?

1 - 20 of 240 Posts