Modern Camaro Forums banner

auto vs manual

39K views 239 replies 60 participants last post by  Jekyll-N-Hyde 
#1 ·
Ok so i ordered my SS as an M6 because thats how i have never even imagined owning an automatic sports car...until now. After some reading up on the 2, im having a really hard time justifying getting that stick ive always dreamed about and im considering changing my order.

As far as I can tell, the only advantage the stick gives you is the fun factor. period. Oh and maybe top speed. The auto supposedly beats the M6 in the qtr mile, and it seems like it would have an advantage on a twisty road course too now that it has some good paddles. So, with the better performance, AFM, remote start option, and never having to mess with replacing a clutch, the auto seems like the obvious choice.

Can anyone point out something im not considering? I really want to justify getting a M6, but there doesnt seem to be any practical reason at all...

#3 ·
Manuals tend to get better gas mileage, especially on the highway. And you have more control over the vehicle, it does what YOU want it to do, not what it wants to do.

#4 ·
I would agree with this for every generation of camaro, until now with the 5th gen. Now that we have Tapshift (which will genuinely hold a gear until you tell it to shift, and then gives you a quick and smooth throttle blip on downshifts and is supposedly faster shifting than you could make with a stick) i dont see how you have any more control over the vehicle in any practical form. I have been through a number of racing schools and after trying to consider all racing scenarios, i cant come up with a single advantage the stick could hold over the auto. Can anyone else?

#5 ·
It may have tapshift, but it's still an automatic and will only give you so much control of the shifting. It can, and very well might, shift when it wants to. It still is heavier than a manual, and automatics break down before manuals do (most million mile+ vehicles are manuals).

#6 ·
I HAD 1 CHOICE WHEN I ORDERED MY SS THE OTHER DAY GET AN AUTOMATIC OR DON'T GET THE CAR. THE PERSON WHO SAID THAT MY WIFE! AS SHE SAID IF SHE CAN'T DRIVE IT THEN I CAN'T BUY IT SO I SUCKED IT UP AND ORDERED THE AUTOMATIC. AT THE END OF IT ALL I KEPT MY WIFE HAPPY AND I BOUGHT MYSELF ONE BADASS RIDE.

#7 · (Edited)
real men use 3 pedals.

The auto will probably get better MPG because of the AFM...but sorry, I get board with auto's. Unless I was going to do a lot of drag racing, it's an M6 for me...and if my wife couldn't drive stick, I would with-out-a-doubt order a stick.:rotflmao:

it's also cheaper to order and you don't have to change the fluid as often.;)

#8 ·
Both cars I've had were autos, gets boring just pointing in a direction and hitting the gas.

I doubt the auto would get better gas mileage than an manual cruising in 6th on the highway.

#10 ·
AUTOMATIC OR STICK THE ONLY PEDAL THAT MATTERS IS THE GAS PEDAL THE FURTHER IT GOES DOWN THE BIGGER YOUR SMILE GETS AND THE FASTER YOUR HEART RACES. THE ALL ON THIS SITE WHEN THE WAIT IS OVER AND WE GO PICK UP THE CAR AT THE DEALER WE ALL WILL BE LIKE KIDS AT A TOY STORE AND HAVE ONE OF THE BIGGEST SMILES YOU EVER HAD. LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

#12 ·
To those who swear by the M6, have you been in a 400+hp car equipped with an automatic and manual shift capabilities? This offer extends to any curious peeps in the Long Island area who might be on the fence about which tranny to order.......go for a ride in my car and then tell me that automatics are boring!:eek:

#14 ·
Another thing is when you get higher and higher HP levels than a manual gets slower and slower compared to an auto. Low HP cars then I would say the opposite. 400+HP is alot of HP.

#15 ·
This will be a long running discussion, much like the 1000's of small block vs. big block threads you can find all over the internet.

It really comes down to what you like to drive. For a DD or a drag car, I wouldn't even consider an M6...but for a fun weekend street car...it's an M6 for me.

#17 ·
from what I've read about tapshift mode, it will never force an upshift. It will stay in gear until YOU shift it, even if you let it bounce on redline. It doesn't take "suggestions" as many M modes do, but does exactly what you tell it to do. The downshifts are REALLY quick too. The throttle blips to rev match and off you go. I took a C6 for a test run yesterday to confirm all this because it is supposed to work the same as the 5th gen.
I keep hearing people say the M6 gives you more control, but no one ever gives an example of how...

#18 ·
I keep hearing people say the M6 gives you more control, but no one ever gives an example of how...
because it's obvious...besides being able to shift it whenever/however you want, you can launch it at whatever RPM you want.

#20 ·
Have people who really worry about this even had a performance car before? Honestly, how could you even worry about which transmission to choose? Do you like full control and connection with the car? Do you just want to put it in gear and do nothing? That's it. Period. If all you care about is a tenth of a second (which I promise none of you who are sooooo concerned about 0-60 or 1/4 mile will EVER have the guts to push it to any limits) then you're just a magazine racer. In the real world, it's not going to matter. If you just want to hop in the car and go for a cruise and not think, then maybe the auto is for you.

If you honestly plan on racing competitively, then maybe the consistency of the automatic is for you. OTOH, if you do race quite a bit, you will understand how to control your manual transmission and get the most out of it - consistently. If you are buying this car for a brute-strength street car, then how interactive do you feel the auto is going to be? Yes, many of you can say "ride in my car and see how an automatic can be". Great, put that converter in and do this that and the other thing. I can guarantee that the people you are trying to convince will not take their cars to the level to which it would ever matter.

I'm not trying to be a jerk - just realistic. Are you ever going to race anyone where it's going to matter or are you just trying to have a bigger ego by what some editors got the car to do?

#34 ·
If all you care about is a tenth of a second (which I promise none of you who are sooooo concerned about 0-60 or 1/4 mile will EVER have the guts to push it to any limits) then you're just a magazine racer. WOT shifts at close to redline are an everyday occurance for me.....I enjoy my drive as often as possible.

Yes, many of you can say "ride in my car and see how an automatic can be". Great, put that converter in and do this that and the other thing. I can guarantee that the people you are trying to convince will not take their cars to the level to which it would ever matter. Assuming this was directed at my post, I'll agree that most won't mod to the level I did, but I just wanted to point out there are other avenues in regards to performance vehicle transmission options.

I'm not trying to be a jerk - just realistic. Are you ever going to race anyone where it's going to matter or are you just trying to have a bigger ego by what some editors got the car to do?
I will race my car very often so I'm not too concerned about what "some editors got the car to do."

#21 ·
There are still to many unknowns for me to bash either yet. It is a choice and there are advantages to both. The 4th gens had pros and cons and we will have to learn the pros and cons with the 5th gen. A stick is great on the streets and those roads with many S turns, but suck in traffic. In stock form the auto looks good, but how much of a converter and HP can it take? How well will the stick handle sticky tires and mad rpm launches before something breaks? Will the auto shift to second even while keeping the shifter in 1st like the failsafe worked in the 4l60e, that would suck for a slow course auto x. I guess these questions and more will be answered in a few months

#22 ·
Avt, how about ditching the all caps. You're "yelling" when you do that. But my wife is the same way. She's going to drive it mostly because I won't give up my M6 02 SS. So, it's auto or nothing. I'd rather get the car with auto than nothing at all.

Anyway, if you do a lot of hilly and city driving, you'll probably hate the M6. On the other hand, you do have better control of the vehicle, you can save $1000 over the auto, and buy a new clutch/plate assembly for later with the savings. My 02 has 36K on it, and I'm still running the factory clutch. I don't stand on it much anymore, but it's still hanging in there. So if I had a replacement, that would be 16 years worth estimated...

Manual trannys are boat loads of fun. And they just sound better IMO with a rumbly exhaust note.

#23 ·
I had to order an automatic. Fake leg not to good with a clutch.

Also its one less thing to worry about when driving. There are so many knuckleheads on the road, you need to look out for the drunks and deer.

#25 ·
I had to order an automatic. Fake leg not to good with a clutch.
well that certainly is a valid reason for getting the auto...all this bickering aside...I'm sure either camaro will be a blast to drive.;)

#24 ·
The manual has this man and machine connection that just isn't there with the auto. The auto lets computers do all the work for you, which is boring and kinda lazy. ;)

And I read some statistics somewhere that manual drivers get in fewer accidents, they tend to be more aware of their surroundings. :eek:

#30 ·
The bicycle has this man and machine connection that just isn't there with the car. The car lets an engine do all the work for you, which is boring and kinda lazy. ;)

And I read some statistics somewhere that bicycle drivers get in fewer accidents, they tend to be more aware of their surroundings. :eek:
Fixed it for you;)

#35 ·
Johnz, I agree with you. I see there was more to the tap feature than I originally understood. If you DON'T use the downshift paddle, it'll automatically drop back into first if you roll up to the stop light. You don't have to "manually" do it. So indeed, I stand corrected. You should be able to choose your gear, up or down, although I'm sure there's some safety valve put in there to keep you from being too stupid with it.

http://5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7054

#38 · (Edited)
jonz5GEN, I was using your example as someone who has taken their car to a different level and drives it accordingly. No disrespect intended. Like yourself, I utilize all 400hp of my GTO daily. I have a feeling that there are many people here that will be all bark and no bite when it comes to putting their money where their mouth is. A guy I work with has a 99 FRC. I let him drive my GTO the other day. He told me the fastest he's ever gone is MAYBE 85mph. :BangHead:

Just reading these questions about which to get because of how fast it's going to be is silly. Are you really going to base it on one tenth that may or may not be duplicated on the street or track? You either like driving autos or you like driving sticks. I don't see any other reason to choose one over the other unless you are buying this car for a single purpose race car.

Notice how I'm not saying which is better...

#39 ·
very true demon speed. Personally, ive always wanted the one generally more likely to win a given race because i HATE to lose. And ive always been happy that the manual has been the "better" car for racing because I get the fun factor too, making the decision easy- stick.
With the 5th gen though, choosing a tranny is not so easy. Without saying one is better than the other, this is the first generation that autos are arguably quicker than manuals.

#40 · (Edited)
I can promise you that it's not going to be noticeable. Are you (not you, just anyone) even the type of person who will even race someone? I mean REALLY push your car? After 60 mph, the difference is going to truely come into play from which is quicker to which is faster. I personally would be bored if the only racing I did was to 60mph. I like to start my races at that speed.

#42 ·
true dat...speaking of, thats something im kinda worried about. does anyone have any idea if doing cam swap, heads, intake, anything like that is more costly or labor intensive on the L99? if the auto can only hold its own in stock form, that could sway my decision to the clutch life

#45 · (Edited)
What do you think the resale value would be for the man vs auto? If I get an SS2 RS with a Hurst short shift, do you think 10 years from now the man would be worth more than the auto? I drive a lot downtown Seattle, but I still am leaning towards the stick: A- for the driving experience and B - for the potential sale price. Anyone have feedback regarding that? In watching the auto auctions and what not, a fully loaded manual usually sells for more than a fully loaded auto. Just a thought that I haven't seen brought up.

#46 ·
I think an auto would be worth more because it is an option and does cost more...but there might be more demand for the M6 on the used car market...it's a toss up. It probable boils down to how the A6 performs and whether it's a sought after option. But in the end when you sell the car you'll be losing money no matter what, so I don't think I'd worry about it...buy the one you want.

#47 ·
What is the worry with clutch swaps lately? I bet many of you aren't going to drive your cars hard enough to require a swap during your ownership (this is not meant as an insult). Furthermore, you don't need to spend $1k on a clutch swap.

I replaced my 2000 SS's clutch around 22k miles because it was at the track every few weeks and was launched (dumped) at 4k rpm on drag radials. If these are just going to be cruisers with bolt-ons that rarely see 5k rpm, then there won't be any problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.