Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have read that the v6 has an M mode and there is no 'sport' mode where the computer shifts itself, they said it's to cut cost. That's understandable, and i agree with it, but what about the SS model? Does anyone know if it has a sport mode? So that you can use the paddle shifters or let the car do its thing like the corvette/G8/CTS-V/etc. I hope they spent the money on the V-8 for the sport mode, although i plan on getting the 6 speed manual, i think it will appeal to more people

I couldn't tell from the pictures taken at indy, btw thanx to everybody that put those up

it has been so long since i've gotten on because hurricane ike passed directly over tc, and i couldn't wait the whole time to see what new camaro news there was over the past two weeks lol:rotflmao:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nevermind, i found a pic at camaro 5, srry for bringing a photo from their site. in one of their pictures it shows an M, so i guess there is no sport mode

u can see the M just barely

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Is this vehicle you are looking at a V8 ? IF the V8 doesnt have the "spot mode" then you might as well get a Manual.
The nice thing about the "S" mode is if you have it in Sport and you are shifting with the paddleshifters and get to talking and dont shift when you need to the automatic takes over and shifts for itself. IT even downshifts at the right time. I just dont understand how they can call it a hydramatic 6L80
when its the Same 6 speed auto that the vette has and not have "S" mode.

Can someone PLease verify or tell of someone who can verify if the V8 will have a Sport mode or a Manual Mode just as the V6 has ???????

TY

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this vehicle you are looking at a V8 ? IF the V8 doesnt have the "spot mode" then you might as well get a Manual.
The nice thing about the "S" mode is if you have it in Sport and you are shifting with the paddleshifters and get to talking and dont shift when you need to the automatic takes over and shifts for itself. IT even downshifts at the right time.

Can someone PLease verify or tell of someone who can verify if the V8 will have a Sport mode or a Manual Mode just as the V6 has ???????

TY
yeah the camaro will have a Manual mode for sure, i can guarantee it. the question i was asking was like you pointed out, will it downshift itself when you have light throttle for the best gear performance wise as if you were about to go into a turn for example.

check out the transmission specs sticky, it says the V8 should have TAPshift, and you can look at some of the pics from indy and see the tapshifters behind the steering wheel.

this is the V8 model too, notice the SS on the bottom of the steering wheel. plus the tach and speedo are SS correct

srry i wasn't clear on those things guys

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
if so the "SS" V8 is not going to have the "S" mode how can they call it a 6L80 hrdramatic ? The V6 is coming with the I think its the 6L50 which for sure will make "M" Manual.
I think the whole correcting the shift poits itself is the "S"
So in my opinion I wouldnt call it a 6L80 if it doesnt have Sport.

hmmmm after readubg through these post it makes me wonder now :confused:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41692

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i guess your right, i remember when i was researching a while back about how to get a 6l80 aftermarket it said that the trans had a built in sport mode. i guess on the ecu they mean, never heard of a mechanical sport mode, although it would be cool.

i have no idea anymore then, i'm confused:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
yeah i guess your right, i remember when i was researching a while back about how to get a 6l80 aftermarket it said that the trans had a built in sport mode. i guess on the ecu they mean, never heard of a mechanical sport mode, although it would be cool.

i have no idea anymore then, i'm confused:confused:

Tommy we are both confused lol maybe they will put a powerglide in it :rotflmao:

I'm just wondering who to ask that knows for sure.

I was wondering if its going to have the same transmission and shift modes as the Vette? shrugs

oh yeah glad you made it out ok with Ike !!!!!! :patriot:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Uhm kinda confused with this but this is what i know:

Both v6 and v8 have the paddle shifters for the automatic where you can shift yourself once you put the car in the manual mode...I didnt hear about only the v8 having this though, I was under the impression both models carried it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah the v6 model and the v8 model have paddle shifters. srry i'm not clear about these things, i don't post very much. we're wondering about whether or not it has a sport mode on the v8 model, where the transmission will shift itself in a performance fashion u could say

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You can put the shifter in two modes, let the car shift on it's own or in another mode where YOU can do the shifting with the paddles

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, i thought that was if it had an 'S' mode like the corvette. this says 'M' mode like the V6 model, which when they test drove it they said it wouldn't shift itself. the only other car i can think of off the top of my head with an 'M' mode is the pontiac grand prix gxp, i believe the 'M' mode u have to shift your self in that car too, i know with an auto 9 times outta 10 it shifts slower if u do it yourself:(

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I don't think they have to have a different trans just to add S mode.

My CTS had S mode. It's kinda like tow mode on a truck. It just sets different perimeters for the computers up and down shifts while you are letting the car shift itself. It worked great on my CTS. On twisty roads when you are off and on the gas and trying to tear thru the curves the car always was ready to go when you hit the gas. Pretty much if I let off the gas and The car was in second gear it would stay in second gear when I let off the gas instead of upshifting to overdrive. Then when I hit the gas it was already in second and didn't need to downshift. It would also downshift itself if I slowed down, just as you would do in a manual trans car. It always kept the RPMS high and ready to go when your back on the gas. When you started driving normal even if you left it in M mode it would start shifting normal, but as soon as you got agressive it started back staying downshifted as much as it could.

I don't believe this would have anything to do with M mode. I think M mode is just shifting yourself. My Escalade has M mode in which you shift it with a + or - button, but it also has tow mode which changes shifting perimiters and has nothing to do with M mode. I believe if I had tow mode on and used M mode it would defeat tow mode.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My thoughts on this gents. . .
1. Obviously to keep costs down.
2. There's no need for a S mode if you have the paddle shifting. Just stick it in gear you want and it will stay in that gear. What else is neat about this is, if you forget to downshift and come to a complete stop, the car will put the transmission back in 1st gear. Very cool.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Yea because third gear burnouts are not cool!:D
I had to use 3rd for burnouts at the drag strip when I went. Oh, and I was on street tires. Why did I do a burnout dragging on street tires, you ask? Because I could. :D

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I can tell you from FHE, there IS an S mode on the A6. There is no designation for it on the shifter console. When you put it in M, it defaults to the S mode! You have to tap down or up to put it in M mode. The S mode is more sport oriented than D mode but is an auto-shifting mode, just with better shifts at higher rpm of you are in the throttle enough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts