Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...

I am getting screwed by the dealer that I ordered my Camaro from. My car is expected in this week so I took my trade in on Saturday morning for them to look at.

Well, after alot (alot) of research I came up with a value for my trade which is the same value listed on edmunds, blackbook online, nada, you know the "respected" vehicle value sites. When evaluating my trade I always pick "clean" or one down from the best catagory to get a good idea what to expect.

Now my trade, a 2005 Equinox LT AWD, has 40K and is excellent condition! I mean excellent. Trade value is 10K on average between the three sites. The dealer comes out with a price of 8000 :eek: because they only pay AVERAGE price out of Black Book. He even showed me the book.. Average was 8225 and Clean was 9998. :confused:

To make a long story even longer, they have a 2005 Equinox LS FWD on the lot asking 13999. So I asked what they planned on listing my 8000 LT AWD with Leather for... 15999? It would be listed for more than the LS though. His response was " I don't know what we have in the other car, but we don't expect someone to pay that" No... they expect to sell it for maybe 3000 off the asking price... at most. So the LS Equinox which was listed in Black Book Average for 6100, they expect to sell for 11000?

He also showed me the column in black book what the banks are willing to lend for each vehicle... My trade was 10100. The LS on the lot the bank would lend 8600. So if I am doing my math right, they list the LS for 13999. Sell it for 11000 (no less) and the bank will only lend 8600???? So your customer has to come up with 2400 cash PLUS tax and title = 3300 down!!

What does that mean for my trade? About 4200 down!

GIVE ME A BREAK!

I am getting screwed :angry: because they think they have me backed into corner. If they don't get their act together, this car will be available soon. In the end it is just a car and I am not taking it in the a$$ any more than I am on the Camaro.

So, the deal was 500 over MSRP or 32,490. If you are interested, seriously interested, and things fall through I will give you the phone number of the new car manager I am dealing with.

I just hope you don't have a trade!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Expect this on any trades. I looked to trade my truck in last yr and a VW this yr. Edmunds and KBB are not even close to what dealers are giving on trades. I don't think it has anything to do with buying a Camaro.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Expect this on any trades. I looked to trade my truck in last yr and a VW this yr. Edmunds and KBB are not even close to what dealers are giving on trades. I don't think it has anything to do with buying a Camaro.
the NADA books is what they go by and to be honest there is a pretty big discrepancy in the two (eds KBB) plus for the dealer to make money they can only pay so much,, you do save on tax that way and thats usually how it works out best for the consumer but still you will never do as well trading in as you will selling on your own. You can always threaten to walk, oh and I wouldnt pay over MSRP

·
Registered
146 Posts
Could try to sell it yourself and try to beat their trade value.

I haven't done it but my old roomate sold his old car on craigslist and purchased his new car there as well. He made out better than the dealer quoted trade on selling his car.

Chris

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Why should he make bank on two vehicles. He's already snookered you into paying $500 over MSRP. Tell him he can give you $100 less than the lending value.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Could try to sell it yourself and try to beat their trade value.

I haven't done it but my old roomate sold his old car on craigslist and purchased his new car there as well. He made out better than the dealer quoted trade on selling his car.

Chris
I would agree, you never make out well on trades. Its just business the dealers will try to make money as much as you let them. Sometimes figuring the tax savings and not dealing with jerkoffs is worth it to some

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
that's basically how trade ins have always worked for me in the past. they have never given me what KBB or any of the other sources have said my car is worth. that's why i don't trade in vehicles anymore. i sell it myself... or i just add to the stable :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, he is up to 9000 and says he can't go any higher... because he will be putting in over 1500 into the vehicle (inspection and detailing...i polish once a month) and will be making no money on the trade if he goes any higher. That is the take it or leave it price....

I want this car!!! but at what point is enough enough. I have been waiting for this and now that the time is near I am having a tough time walking away.

My wife says to do whatever I want, but I don't like being taken advantage of.

He knows he has a car he can sell the moment it rolls off the truck, thats the hard part.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Well, he is up to 9000 and says he can't go any higher... because he will be putting in over 1500 into the vehicle (inspection and detailing...i polish once a month) and will be making no money on the trade if he goes any higher. That is the take it or leave it price....

I want this car!!! but at what point is enough enough. I have been waiting for this and now that the time is near I am having a tough time walking away.

He knows he has a car he can sell the moment it rolls off the truck, thats the hard part.
I would say paying over sticker is getting screwed,, the rest is just business as usual in the world of car dealers. I traded my 05 Goat ( which I loved ) for my trailblazer SS when we knew we were having a baby, fair compromise my wife rocks, anyway,, three months later I got a bill from GMAC for the Goat, they said someone had made payments for the last 3 months the dealer was making payments until the car sold. Dealers can be shady but some are great too, dont be afraid to walk if you feel that strongly about it. But with trades this doesnt sound out of the norm. When were going to get the car in your possesion?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wife traded in her Honda to get a new brand new pathfinder in Jan. The dealer gave 500 over NADA and Kelly blue book. They are trying to squeeze you for all your worth since they know you want the Camaro and its limited number right now. Her car was in pretty crappy shape too.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Wife traded in her Honda to get a new brand new pathfinder in Jan. The dealer gave 500 over NADA and Kelly blue book. They are trying to squeeze you for all your worth since they know you want the Camaro and its limited number right now. Her car was in pretty crappy shape too.
honda and chevy are in two very different places, Hondas hold thier value well right now and are easier to sell im not too sure if thats the case with the nox, however do to the shape they are in they should try to get a deal done for you especially since you are paying over MSRP,,

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts

What you could do is try to sell the car yourself... its just a suggestion

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
you should shop around. Before i traded my 02 Z28 triple black convertible, i knew it was worth around 10k. One dealer offered my 7k, which i said kiss my azz. then another offered my 11k = SOLD!

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is why after work today I'm going to be cleaning my 06 VW Golf TDI, taking some pictures and getting it listed for sale. I understand where the dealers are coming from but still would like the extra 1-2k I'm likely to make from a private sale. Also I don't know what sort of hassle it would be to trade in a car at an out of state dealer :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
if you figured $10k average, and they will go $9k..........i say ask for straight MSRP on the Camaro..............but either way, i wouldn't let that Camaro go for a $1000 difference.

as you can see on this forum.........they're not exactly flooding the market with em. plus, you know the dealer will sell for more than $500 over MSRP if you back out...............

20 miles in the Camaro and you won't even remember the details.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd do the 9000, todays market, on an SUV (even if it is a smaller one) that sounds fair.

Accept that offer and put an ad to sell it outright for "First $11,000 takes it" (or whatever number you think is a great deal) and if you don't get any takers, no big deal.

-Brad

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
When were going to get the car in your possesion?
The car just left someplace in New York around 7pm today. The dealer expects the car to be in Pittsburgh TOMORROW!:eek: He wants to keep my car in the showroom for a couple of days (on a platform with windows up) so, even though I am getting it up the....well... I am going to take the deal as stands.....

I might see if I can make a last minute adjustment.

I hate this!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts